How much should I pay for a language tutor?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: How much should I pay for a language tutor?

Post by Arget »

Send a PM to explorer and cut out everyone giving you false information.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

kps wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:38 pm Thanks. Definitely useful for me. This is from a book that doesn't go into the details so much. That's why I mistakenly thought the "ban te" was a yes/no question.
Kammekor wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:30 pm ឱ្យ ខ្ញុំ ចូល បន្ទប់ ទឹក ទេ
aoy khnhom chaul bantob tuk tei

Can I enter the bathroom? (yes no question)

ឱ្យ ខ្ញុំ ចូល បន្ទប់ ទឹក បាន ទេ
aoy khnhom chaul bantob tuk baan tei

Can I enter the bathroom? (formally asking permission)
Notice finishing the sentence with te or ban te results in it being translated the same in English. You weren't mistaken. Different people just explain it different ways. It could be argued that both are yes or no questions, and both are asking permission.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
kps
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kps »

Also interesting difference between Asia and f.ex Europe, at least China. Housekeeping said "ort somaat" and made it sound like a question because it was the only thing I could understand. To reply to a negative question, in Asia I believe you should nod your head and say Yes, don't clean the room. But in English I believe you would shake your head and say "No, don't clean the room."
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Arget wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:16 pm Send a PM to explorer and cut out everyone giving you false information.
Who is giving false information.

Occasionally I come across someone saying something they dont fully understand. Usually it is just different people giving a different perspective.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

kps wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:28 pm Also interesting difference between Asia and f.ex Europe, at least China. Housekeeping said "ort somaat" and made it sound like a question because it was the only thing I could understand. To reply to a negative question, in Asia I believe you should nod your head and say Yes, don't clean the room. But in English I believe you would shake your head and say "No, don't clean the room."
Yes

In English we answer a negative question as if they asked a positive question.

In many other languages they answer a negative question as if they asked a negative question.

So if a person just says yes or no, you need to clarify what they mean.

When you answer such questions yourself, dont say yes or no, but give an answer that wont be misunderstood. For example, say clean the room, or dont clean the room.

I have seen people confused because they dont understand how people in other cultures answer such questions.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

kps wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:38 pm I will stick to the simplest forms and try to cover up "rude" grammar with polite attitude. Sometimes I even add "please" in English to show politeness and that mistakes are expected at my level.
The examples we have discussed here are not rude.

You can learn the long formal way to say something, but people dont talk like that in real life. If you say it the short way, the way most people say it, it is not rude.

There are other words/situations where using the wrong word would be impolite.
kps
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kps »

explorer wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:39 pm
kps wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:28 pm Also interesting difference between Asia and f.ex Europe, at least China. Housekeeping said "ort somaat" and made it sound like a question because it was the only thing I could understand. To reply to a negative question, in Asia I believe you should nod your head and say Yes, don't clean the room. But in English I believe you would shake your head and say "No, don't clean the room."
Yes

In English we answer a negative question as if they asked a positive question.

In many other languages they answer a negative question as if they asked a negative question.

So if a person just says yes or no, you need to clarify what they mean.

When you answer such questions yourself, dont say yes or no, but give an answer that wont be misunderstood. For example, say clean the room, or dont clean the room.

I have seen people confused because they dont understand how people in other cultures answer such questions.
Also very surprising, in Laos I met people who shook their head when they meant yes. I believe also in Myanmar.

Very embarrassing when you offer something, they shake their head and you pull it back when they try to grasp it.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Absolutely bloody amazing.

Guy asks a straightforward question of how much for a language tutor and he gets 2 good answers and then over 80 posts from the worlds greatest language experts telling each other how to pronounce words, what they really mean and generally how great they are at languages.

Still, at least the first response was a sensible one.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
kps
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kps »

TOG wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:52 pm Absolutely bloody amazing.

Guy asks a straightforward question of how much for a language tutor and he gets 2 good answers and then over 80 posts from the worlds greatest language experts telling each other how to pronounce words, what they really mean and generally how great they are at languages.

Still, at least the first response was a sensible one.
I see your point.
But as a beginning learner I also appreciate the opportunity to ask questions.
It is a conflict of interest between experienced guys in the forum like you and beginners like me.
Maybe call the thread "Various questions from a beginning learner of Khmer"
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

explorer wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:49 pm
kps wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:40 pm I carry money and passport. Hotel is reliable style, I have stayed here many times. Chinese style with staff on a leash.
It is not party-one-week-Riverside-style hotel. But you are right. One should always be careful.
I leave my passport in my room, and only carry enough money for a short time. Some people get robbed.
and leave passport credit cards major money etc in your room safe or in hotel reception safety box.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic