2nd Cambodian Deportee going home!!!

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

2nd Cambodian Deportee going home!!!

Post by BklynBoy »

I know the dude personally and he is cool. He was cool w/ me, based on my interactions. I was shocked when heard about it and happy for him.

[media]https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-amer ... ng-n976511[/media]
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: 2nd Cambodian Deportee going home!!!

Post by Duncan »

I could understand if the guy was convicted of a crime and a part of that conviction was to be deported after serving his sentence, but it appears to me that deportation is being added to the sentence, after he has done his punishment, and sometimes many year later.
Have i got it right ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Duncan wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:32 am I could understand if the guy was convicted of a crime and a part of that conviction was to be deported after serving his sentence, but it appears to me that deportation is being added to the sentence, after he has done his punishment, and sometimes many year later.
Have i got it right ?
It seems that was the case. .. I remember reading on here about that fact... For most of them-- unfortunately they never became citizens-- So it's under different rules but yea it seems fucked up. Esp if non-violent, was done years ago and aren't repeated offenders.

Different views on what should be done. I know a female as well who is here. From what she told me it was a credit card fraud issue
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

I am really glad to hear this as I think it is terribly inhumane to deport criminals that have grown up in a particular country. In a way, the blame could be apportioned to the parents for not registering their children as citizens. Likewise, the support probably wasn't there when the parents arrived as refugees to understand the process......I how this is the beginning of a lot more returnees being returned!!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

He's home.

Deported Cambodian refugee returns to Sacramento under court ruling after burglary sentence
By Alexandra Yoon-Hendricks
March 01, 2019 10:47 AM, Updated 3 hours 25 minutes ago
Deported five years ago, Veasna Meth has had to watch his family grow – and grow up – in Sacramento from nearly 8,000 miles away.

But he never lost hope.

“I knew one day I would be able to get back,” he said Thursday at San Francisco International Airport upon his return from Cambodia after he was deported in 2014.

Meth, who moved with his family to the United States when he was less than a year old and grew up in Sacramento, was deported after having served time for a residential burglary he committed when he was 19.

He had never been to Cambodia, and was not fluent in the native Khmer – his family members, like thousands of others, were refugees who fled the violent Khmer Rouge regime. Meth was born in a refugee camp in the Philippines.

“He’s always considered Sacramento his home,” said one of his lawyers, Melanie Kim of the Asian Law Caucus.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article226944364.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic