Importing animals to Cambodia (Alpacas)

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
The Goat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Importing animals to Cambodia (Alpacas)

Post by The Goat »

Greetings

Thx for everyone who has provided info on my last post raising goats. Anyone have experience importing animals or live stock here? I understand the laws, although I have heard multiple stories depending on the situation, place, and time. I brought my pure bred Rottweiller across the border in Poipet on a leash 10 years ago and nobody said a word or even asked for passport. The wife wants to have some Alpacas at our farm in Kampot. Wondering if a baby on the plane from Australia would be possible.

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Importing animals to Cambodia (Alpacas)

Post by pczz »

The Goat wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:12 am Greetings

Thx for everyone who has provided info on my last post raising goats. Anyone have experience importing animals or live stock here? I understand the laws, although I have heard multiple stories depending on the situation, place, and time. I brought my pure bred Rottweiller across the border in Poipet on a leash 10 years ago and nobody said a word or even asked for passport. The wife wants to have some Alpacas at our farm in Kampot. Wondering if a baby on the plane from Australia would be possible.

You should start with the ministry of agriculture or the general department of agriculture. both are in different locations and whichever one you go to will send you to the other!
Both in google. A dog is a pet,an Alpaca is a different proposition. No one notices a dog, but the local police will hear about this curious animal before you got the gate shut.
Can alpacas eat the grass here? can they cope with rainy season? so they require any special medication? You certainly will not find a vet here familiar wit them so mortality might be high. I don't think they presnt any particluar threat to local wildlife unlesd thy carry new pathogens. Guarnatee the locals will try the meat soon as you turn your back!
The Goat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by The Goat »

Thank you very much for the information. I have a decent plot of land far in the countryside with goats cows and pigs already. The wife's father is police so never had a problem on the property. They originated in South America in tropical climates so hopefully the climate would be ok. I will check with both departments of agriculture. I've heard they protects the herd from fox and dogs. Hopefully they will be able to mingle with the goats or I can make a separate fenced in area and housing for them.

Cheers mate

I will post updates
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

They don't come from tropical climates, they live in the Andes and the Atacama desert and southern Chile. They can have problems in hot and humid climates.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Who's sock are you goat?
The Goat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by The Goat »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:03 pm They don't come from tropical climates, they live in the Andes and the Atacama desert and southern Chile. They can have problems in hot and humid climates.

Thank you John. You are correct. I should have researched more beforehand.
Source and info

About Alpacas - Alpaca Owners Association
www.alpacainfo.com › academy › about-...
Generally, yes. Alpacas are amazingly resilient animals and have adapted successfully to the extremes of both very hot and very cold climates. In hot, humid climates, alpaca owners need to take extra precautions to make sure that the alpacas do not suffer from heat stress.

Cheers and thanks again
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

The Goat wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:31 pm Thank you very much for the information. I have a decent plot of land far in the countryside with goats cows and pigs already. The wife's father is police so never had a problem on the property. They originated in South America in tropical climates so hopefully the climate would be ok. I will check with both departments of agriculture. I've heard they protects the herd from fox and dogs. Hopefully they will be able to mingle with the goats or I can make a separate fenced in area and housing for them.

Cheers mate

I will post updates
Sorry u wrong. Alpacs do not come from tropics. hooved animals in general do badly in hot humid conditions. They need hard surfaces to kee the hoofs worn down or vets to cut them. Hooves are also prone to fungal infections in soft wet soil, and not the best fro walking around a flooded paddock. Animals with claws do better
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic