Cambodia Retirement Visa Confusion

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AUDD
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia Retirement Visa Confusion

Post by AUDD »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:32 am 1. Apply for the E-type (Ordinary) Visa on Arrival, $35, 1x passport pic, valid for 1 month. (Do not get a T-type Tourist Visa on arrival!).

2. At least 1 week prior to your VOA expiring go to a visa agent and apply for a12 month ER (Retirement) EOS (Extension of Stay). If you are 55+ then no supporting documentation is required. Appx cost $270 - 300 (depending on the agent you use).

3. 11 months later repeat step 2.

Do you know the current cost for a retirement visa for under 55 person?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

AUDD wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:30 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:32 am 1. Apply for the E-type (Ordinary) Visa on Arrival, $35, 1x passport pic, valid for 1 month. (Do not get a T-type Tourist Visa on arrival!).

2. At least 1 week prior to your VOA expiring go to a visa agent and apply for a12 month ER (Retirement) EOS (Extension of Stay). If you are 55+ then no supporting documentation is required. Appx cost $270 - 300 (depending on the agent you use).

Same as someone 55+, but you need to provide sufficient supoorting documentation. At the end of the day it is up to YOU to convince the DoI that you are genuinely retired and are eligible for an ER EOS.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:31 pm

Same as someone 55+, but you need to provide sufficient supoorting documentation. At the end of the day it is up to YOU to convince the DoI that you are genuinely retired and are eligible for an ER EOS.
Think the normal wait in pp now is 2 weeks for a renewal. Will get worse the closer we are to khmer new year when everything shuts fora fortnight or three
AUDD
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by AUDD »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:31 pm

PSD-Kiwi

So "genuinely retired" or do up a letter saying that I will not work and have funds from outside ie regular pay and maybe show passports with previous visits since 2004 or just get a document made up saying I am "retired" somehow.

Basically I am after a multi entry visa instead of always getting a tourist visa at $36, was going to get the EB before but then started reading about the problems starting with needing a work permit or paying more money etc without it when leaving. Sometimes will enter up to 15 times a year for about a week at a time. Average about 11 times a year though since 2008. They need to create a family visa or something like that instead, but just looking for the best alternative to get at the moment until they create something like that.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ordinary visa on arrival ($35)
than apply for an ER extension ( if ur over 55) apx $290
1 year multi entry
easy
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AUDD
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by AUDD »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:24 pm ordinary visa on arrival ($35)
than apply for an ER extension ( if ur over 55) apx $290
1 year multi entry
easy
I am only 40 though. That is the problem and still working (Although never will be working in Cambo)

Thats why if i just write my own document saying i am retired would that possibly pass?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@AUDD

- Produce a stat dec stating that you do not, and do not intend to, work in Cambodia due to being retirede, etc.
- Provide evidence of sufficient funds for the duration of your Visa EOS.

You are at the mercy of the DoI Officials, you need to convince them of your eligibility. I know of several people in their 30's and 40's, and one 28 year old, who have received an ER EOS...I also know people aged between 50 - 55 who have been denied an ER EOS.

Another option you have, is the 6 month EG (General) EOS. This is specifically for people seeking employment or business opportunities and requires no supporting documentation apart from a signed letter which most decent agents will produce for you. Rinse and repeat...until the DoI starts cracking down on the issuing of multiple back-to-back EG EOS's (Note: You need to exit Cambodia when your 6 mth EG expires, return on a new 1month E-type Visa and then apply for a new 6 mth EG EOS, which gives you another 7 months total).
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

From a few visits to the immigration office across from the airport....

The strongly prefer to see something from your government - ie pensions or social security. If not, then they'd like to see evidence of money being deposited regularly into a bank account (ie you claim to have a private pension).

There was little understanding when I was there of the concept of someone having - in essence - passive income while they live in Cambodia. The idea that you could own a business or part of a business(es) back home and it generates your income while you live in Cambodia simply went over their heads. They just kept going back to government pensions.

If you have family reasons to be here I'd include that - even though it isn't anything official - its something they understand. Have someone you know write a letter on their company letterhead simply stating that you do not work at company XYZ and they consider you to be retired. Signature and phone number included (they didn't call). It can be scanned and printed (I'd do it in color).

What I did was take the Cambodia passports of our family (wife Khmer and kids dual) and copies of wife's house ownership, our current lease for the villa we live in, and land ownership. I also included our bank account statement here in Cambodia. They wanted to see my overseas account information - that I respectfully declined to produce. After some back and forth, they agreed I could receive a retirement visa so I could live here with our family - BUT they insisted I use an agent. BUT they did agree to put their name/phone number on a card and attached to my passport just in case when it was processed there was an issue. So while it was a hassle to make the trip to the immigration office it was worth it in the end.

When it came time to renew - I mistakenly thought renewal would be no problem - NOPE. Had to include much of the same paperwork/explanation - ended up taking 4 weeks but I didn't have to make a 2nd trip to the immigration office. At the time of my first application the Retirement Visa was pretty new and no agent would agree to even take my application. That's why I ended up at the immigration office myself. Even with the info from the office I had trouble convincing an agent to process the retirement visa - I literally called the office and put the woman on with them to tell her it was ok.

Good Luck.
SamBotte
Tourist
France

Post by SamBotte »

Be very carefull with the type of visa on arrival too.
I arrived at PP airport, with the formular correct box checked : ordinary, not tourist. At immigration, the guy asked me the purpose of my visit : i answered to get a retirement visa. Get called a mn after, had to pay 30$, i hesitated, but could not see any wrong "tourist" mention on the visa so i went to get stamped; asked again the guy "it"s business ordinary visa hm ?", the guy said yes !
Ended with the tourist visa... Nice job.

Anyway i don't plan to stay here, to many mess. And i have been around the world. Mess-mistakes all the time, trash on the street, killer motorcycle (zero respect), overprices, food poisoning and any diseases, girls attitude, chineese invasion... Honestly : good luck guys :)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Call Kim

She can arrange an EB Visa through marriage to a Khmer if unable to get the retirement visa.

Same restrictions apply. ie, not allowed to work in Cambodia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic