Check your escape route!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Check your escape route!

Post by Kuroneko »

Duncan wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:56 am
Kuroneko wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:35 am
pczz wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:52 am This is KOW, no fire alarms, no sprinklers and no common sense :-)
Thats not true of all properties. My condo has smoke alarms and a gas detector fitted which are checked regularly by the maintenance staff. The fire alarm system for the whole building is tested regularly and everyone gets a written warning indicating when the test will occur. There are also fire extinguishers and fire doors on every level, similar to the picture below.

The big question is , are the doors locked or barricaded , can they be opened in an emergency.
Of course they can be opened in an emergency I often use them to leave the building rather than use the lifts
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

DaveG wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:57 am Just get one of these, Lol

What could possibly go wrong :o
Would be impressive to see that in action from the, say, third floor.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kuroneko wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:27 am
Duncan wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:56 am
Kuroneko wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:35 am
pczz wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:52 am This is KOW, no fire alarms, no sprinklers and no common sense :-)
Thats not true of all properties. My condo has smoke alarms and a gas detector fitted which are checked regularly by the maintenance staff. The fire alarm system for the whole building is tested regularly and everyone gets a written warning indicating when the test will occur. There are also fire extinguishers and fire doors on every level, similar to the picture below.

The big question is , are the doors locked or barricaded , can they be opened in an emergency.
Of course they can be opened in an emergency I often use them to leave the building rather than use the lifts
Yep, contrary to the beliefs on this forum most of the new condos in PP and Sihanoukville are pretty well equipped and they are even maintained. Basically all have at least fire alarms, smoke detectors and fire extinguishers. Some even have proper sprinkler systems and fire escapes.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

hanno wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:40 am
DaveG wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:57 am Just get one of these, Lol

What could possibly go wrong :o
Would be impressive to see that in action from the, say, third floor.
Something like this might work..

Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Rope/rope ladder in case you can use a balcony safely to get down, else a harpoon & climbing rope in case you need to go full Tarzan and swing to the opposite building - let's face it, PP streets are quite narrow.

:hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

If I ever had to jump from a building to escape a fire I would throw a mattress or two out first. The odds of landing on them are still better than winning a lottery.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

pczz wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:52 am This morning at 3 am I woke up coughing my lungs out. No smoke in my room but I could hear a commotion outside. When i looked 3 fire engines dealing with a fire next door 2 floors below me. I could hardly breathe becasuse of the fumes which smelled like burning plastic and wer totally invisible.
The building next door I have always considered my escape route as I could scramble along the balconies, but if that fire had come into my building then game over.
I ran downstairs and founf my landlord coming in carrying a fire extinguisher he had just lent to the fireman. "Is Ok, next ddor. Drunk barang"
"Its F&*%ING not ok, says me. You should have got your tenants out".\
Anyway I was outside for 2 hours waiting for the fumes to dissipate before i dare go back to my room. Not sure but I think burning paint and plastic give of cyanide and other poisons. I could have died from the fumes in my room becasue they only evacuated the building the fire was in. No flames, no danger right :facepalm:
And it appears next door gives each tenant a big gas bottle for cooking, in a building with a 500m staircase for30 apartments. This is KOW, no fire alarms, no sprinklers and no common sense :-)

This fire? The drunk Russian started it?

topic27019.html
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:18 pm
pczz wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:52 am This morning at 3 am I woke up coughing my lungs out. No smoke in my room but I could hear a commotion outside. When i looked 3 fire engines dealing with a fire next door 2 floors below me. I could hardly breathe becasuse of the fumes which smelled like burning plastic and wer totally invisible.
The building next door I have always considered my escape route as I could scramble along the balconies, but if that fire had come into my building then game over.
I ran downstairs and founf my landlord coming in carrying a fire extinguisher he had just lent to the fireman. "Is Ok, next ddor. Drunk barang"
"Its F&*%ING not ok, says me. You should have got your tenants out".\
Anyway I was outside for 2 hours waiting for the fumes to dissipate before i dare go back to my room. Not sure but I think burning paint and plastic give of cyanide and other poisons. I could have died from the fumes in my room becasue they only evacuated the building the fire was in. No flames, no danger right :facepalm:
And it appears next door gives each tenant a big gas bottle for cooking, in a building with a 500m staircase for30 apartments. This is KOW, no fire alarms, no sprinklers and no common sense :-)

This fire? The drunk Russian started it?

topic27019.html
Yes and i am in 1 of those pictures :-) my 15 minutes of fame
Update as of noon today the fire is claimed to have started in the washing machine and fridge. I dont buy that. Clothes inside the washer were charcoaled and plastic bits not burnt. i am thinking electrical fault. they have 2 amp bleeding plugs on everything in this country.
There was another white English guy running around in a towel around threatening to punch someone but i didn't quite hear what it was about. He was defo English, sounded like maybe a slight lisp
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic