how to avoid becoming cynical and bitter in PP

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Re: how to avoid becoming cynical and bitter in PP

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Like incest, it's all relative.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Do volunteer work, was thinking about this a while back as getting bored in PP same thing most days
Where do you go to find volunteer work?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

atst wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:31 am Do volunteer work, was thinking about this a while back as getting bored in PP same thing most days
Where do you go to find volunteer work?
1. Look on the internet.

2. Travel to various places, find the NGOs, drop in and talk to them.

3. Find a remote school, which doesnt have an English teacher, and ask if they want you to teach English, or help in some other way.

Also think about what skills you have, what you enjoy doing, and look for a place where you can do that type of thing.

Some places are happy to have volunteers, others may not want you. Some places want you to pay to volunteer, others dont. Some places want qualified people, others dont. etc. etc.

You need to find a place where they want you, you agree with what they are doing, and you are happy with what you do there.

You may spend some time in several places, to find one you really like.

4. You can do your own thing. For example, I assist students from poor families to get a good education. To do this, you just need to meet students from poor families with a good attitude.

I sometimes just spend time with people learning English, and help them a little.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

It is fun to just travel to different places in Cambodia, explore those places, and get to know people.

People looking for something to get involved in, will come across opportunities when traveling to different places.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

How to avoid becoming cynical and bitter in PP? Simple. Take care of yourself, workout, learn a new language (doesn't have to be Khmer), don't hang out in Riverside.

I don't like PP. I basically have to force myself. To me, moving here was a failure. By far my biggest failure in life. That definitely made me cynical and bitter until recently. But guess what? I stopped being a whiny bitch, washed the sand outta my vagina, and everything fell into place! I got a great job, weird friends, a Khmer gf that makes bomb ass "western" food, and I also got to visit Myanmar, Vietnam, Laos, and Malaysia within a year (PP is centrally located. Very easy to get to other countries in the region).

Sure, you wouldn't hang out with some of the people you meet here if you were still back home, but I'm pretty sure they feel the same way about you. Get outta your comfort zone and you'll be just fine. You might be surprised! Not everyone here is trying to bang underage kids.
The locals get on your system? Yea? You're not the only one. You can't stand how they drive? The local food is as tasty as dried dog shit? You may have to travel more then. You'll find the same negative aspects in a lot of countries (including developed ones). Don't sweat the small stuff (especially things you have no control over).

Oh I almost forgot: Cambodia? 28 public holidays... That gives you plenty of time to get outta PP and recharge your batteries.
Bluelabel
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Bluelabel »

If your bitter and cynical its because your bitter and cynical.
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

First step : Live out of city center. Go live in a borey , it's cheaper and better.

City center is ok but not all the time. So just move out and go enjoy the city center when you need/want.
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

"bomb ass "western" food" Tossed salad by any chance?
curiosity
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by curiosity »

what I meant was that a lot of people I met in PP had some kind of hidden agenda. Sure, we have that back home too, but not to the extent I experienced it here. Be it money, sex, stroking somebody's ego, the need to always "win" or some other shit. First people suck up to you, then after while they casually state their "request" and if you do not give them what they want... Boom!!! they completely blow their stack. You got to live with people not always giving you what you want. Because back home, you also do not always get what you want. Not sure why that is so hard to understand.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic