UK Hostel Owner, Joe Morrissey, in a Coma in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: UK Hostel Owner, Joe Morrissey, in a Coma in Sihanoukville

Post by Albror »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:21 am
Albror wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:19 pm And for the others who are reading, yes, its not only family and friends who use this forum, they hopefully realise that they should get cover for medical care.

I for one do not believe for a second that a westerner who come to Cambodia are not aware what will happen if they get very ill. Still they did not pay for it, probably as it was expensive. So for them to save a few hundred bucks you are now raising thousands from peoples sympathy.
There was an earlier comment around whether he had insurance or not.
Hmc123 wrote: I’m also gonna say he didn’t not have health insurance at all it just hasn’t covered and i’ll admit at present I don’t know the ins and outs of that
The suggestion is he might of had insurance but the insurer wouldn't cover As we all know, insurance companies have lots of various exclusions in their policies and if they can find a way to get out of paying...they will.

The onus is on the individual to go over the PDS with a fine tooth comb with regard to what is covered, what isn't and the exclusions. With motorcycle riding there are certain specific requirements..some of which I mentioned earlier. eg. no licence, no helmet, under the influence of alcohol etc

So it's also a possibility that he did have insurance but just didn't meet the requirements for the cover.
Yes i know that there are many insurances out there that are more or less useless like all of those who dont cover you if you have had alcohol that day.

But there are good companies out there and its important to research that well. My insurance-company that most of my family use, even if it was not a travel-insurance in her case, called up my sister after she had been ill and checked so she knew she could claim for scars. They basically called and gave her 3.000usd, she didnt know she could claim for it. But that is one of those "customer-owned" companies that even if they got well paid staff dont strive to give dividend do share-holders.

Why would they not cover in this case? No helmet? No license? Alcohol?

Better for all of you to check the terms of your insurance and change if it dont cover you after alcohol-consumption. No point for most to have one like that.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

mouytiet wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:15 pm big problem with the travel insurance is a lot of the bike crashes overseas especially in SEA usually have an alcohol factor and the insurers arnt stupid, they will insist on a toxicology report before releasing any funds, any country will have an official legal blood alcohol limit, if your over the limit or have traces of weed or any other drug, if its the law to wear a helmet and you have head injuries they aint gonna help ya. No "adventure sports", no jet skiing and shit, some exclude "risky behavior" and can tie a claim up for lengthy periods, risky behavior, WTF living in SEA is risky behavior. Not implying this young man had had a drink but I have seen claims denied and families ruined,this could well be a case, anyway best of luck to him, being in a Cambo hospital hes going to need it.
Earlier post which refers to toxicology reports being required in these instances.
joesneak
Tourist
Australia

Post by joesneak »

Captain wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:29 pm
Bluelabel wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:50 pm
Captain Bonez wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:43 pm People who buy $20 helmets just so the police won't stop them aren't the smartest either. I'd rather spend $200+ on a real helmet to greatly reduce the chances of having to go to a shitty 3rd world hospital and have Bong Heng ducktape my head together and staple my face back on upside down in the event of an accident.
Yeh right like expats have 200+ dollars to spend on a helmet when then cannot even afford travel insurance.

Get with the program.
Yeah, but this expat apparently had money to own a business and didn't have 200 dollars for a helmet and insurance? It does not compute!

Owning and running a business does not automatically mean you have money. A lot of times it means you are barely making ends meet just to stay open.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

joesneak wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:06 pm
Captain wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:29 pm
Bluelabel wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:50 pm
Captain Bonez wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:43 pm People who buy $20 helmets just so the police won't stop them aren't the smartest either. I'd rather spend $200+ on a real helmet to greatly reduce the chances of having to go to a shitty 3rd world hospital and have Bong Heng ducktape my head together and staple my face back on upside down in the event of an accident.
Yeh right like expats have 200+ dollars to spend on a helmet when then cannot even afford travel insurance.

Get with the program.
Yeah, but this expat apparently had money to own a business and didn't have 200 dollars for a helmet and insurance? It does not compute!

Owning and running a business does not automatically mean you have money. A lot of times it means you are barely making ends meet just to stay open.
I get the gist of what you're saying however if one doesn't have enough money for basic personal health and safety in Cambodia, then isn't that a red flag?

I would've thought that personal health and safety comes before the health and viability of a business... If a foreigner running a a business here means you don't have money and barely make ends meet....then isn't it time to call it quits and go back to your home country where at least there is a social welfare safety net? And thereby, you are not subjecting yourself and family to unnecessary risk and danger?

Talking in general of course coz we don't know that this actually applies to Joe Morrissey..
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

No reflection on Joe, but if you are thinking about settling in Cambodia - AND especially if you have a family that you are supporting here - then you really need some insurance or a backup plan in case something happens to you.
Not only in Cambodia of course, but even more so here.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

21st February
Appeal to help injured Joe Quarcoo-Morrissey in Cambodia nears £18,000
By Mike Laycock Chief reporter

ALMOST £18,000 has now been raised in the appeal to help meet the medical costs of a young York father who suffered serious head injuries in a scooter crash in Cambodia.

The £50,000 appeal to aid Joe Quarcoo-Morrissey, 24, from the Fulford Road area, was only launched last weekend, when he was in a coma. By 8.45am today, the total stood at £17,755.

The former York Steiner School and All Saints School pupil has been in intensive care since early February but his family said on Monday that he appeared to have regained consciousness, although he remained in a seriously ill condition.
https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/174489 ... ars-18000/

Latest, 25 Feb: the fund has reached nearly 20,000 pounds.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
KHCHINATD
Expatriate
China

Post by KHCHINATD »

I am very painful.

I am reprinting this article to the Chinese community.

I am considered a liar.

I was tired after I explained it many times.

Maybe this is life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic