Promoting a novel about cambodia - in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
maiges
Tourist
Canada

Promoting a novel about cambodia - in Cambodia

Post by maiges »

...as the title suggests.

I've written and published a (kickass) novel which is set largely in Cambodia.

The (small, indie) publisher is American with little clout in the region. I'm based in Japan and Thailand so I'm looking for ways to help market and/or distribute it in SE Asia, particularly Cambodia. I've met with William from Monument Books and have a few copies on sale at their main branch in Phnom Penh but if anyone has other suggestions on promotion, distribution, or just getting the word out -- I'd be happy to hear. Thanks.

Oh - and if you're interested in the book itself too, I can link it. Just ask. I don't want to be spamming in my first post.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Promoting a novel about cambodia - in Cambodia

Post by phuketrichard »

amazon comes to mind
offer it free or for $1 for xxx days and ask people to review it
link it!!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Please post a link. You would only be spamming if you posted links all over the forum, but by all means, post it in your thread here.

Lol, Im not the boss, :dm: but this is a community forum and I think that a lot of members would like to take a look at your book if you want to post a taste for us like CC did with her book: the-rest-the-world/chapter-dancing-circles-t26853.html

At worst, it will spread the word about your book, good or bad.
maiges
Tourist
Canada

Post by maiges »

Ok then, in the interest of humanity here it is: The Aggrieved Parties
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1097230171/

As you can see it's up on Amazon and I ran a giveaway, but I have no idea how to focus promotion on Cambodia and Thailand, where it is likely to draw the most interest.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

maiges wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:56 pm Ok then, in the interest of humanity here it is: The Aggrieved Parties

As you can see it's up on Amazon and I ran a giveaway, but I have no idea how to focus promotion on Cambodia and Thailand, where it is likely to draw the most interest.
Thanks. Do you want to give us a taster - a snippet of your work to see if we like it ? :popcorn:

You have a potential audience of over 2000 viewers here right now. :Bravo:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

The Aggrieved Parties: A Novel
by Mike Guest

"THE AGGRIEVED PARTIES is a riveting tale set in the often-hidden world of expats, their friends, and their enemies in Cambodia, Thailand, Japan and other Asian countries. The author, himself deeply knowledgable about Asia, moves easily between the horrors of the Khmer Rouge to present-day, intricate plots of revenge, jealousy, deception, lust, and eventual trust. The characters in this highly acclaimed novel step out of the pages as fully formed, unforgettable men and women, made all the more real by the author's extraordinary depth of research into the novel's locales and authentic details."

:facepalm:
maiges
Tourist
Canada

Post by maiges »

You can access the first handful of pages by clicking on the image on the Amazon page. The back cover view will also give you a synopsis.

In short, a woman who once escaped the KR as a child after witnessing the humiliation of her father at their hands suddenly finds a way to extract revenge by chance 40 years later. Now an American citizen, her plan inadvertently transforms the lives of a number of multi-national, multi-lingual characters she has never met. Events take place in Japan, Thailand, and of course, Cambodia.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:40 pm Please post a link. You would only be spamming if you posted links all over the forum, but by all means, post it in your thread here.

Lol, Im not the boss, :dm: but this is a community forum and I think that a lot of members would like to take a look at your book if you want to post a taste for us like CC did with her book: the-rest-the-world/chapter-dancing-circles-t26853.html

At worst, it will spread the word about your book, good or bad.

Hey, Anchor Moy--thanks for the mention! The first chapter about my book is about me (who's this woman who just follows her husband to Cambodia? that's what's up with my first chapter).

I'm going to attach my Sihanoukville chapter, as it's more representative of my book. Thanks! Also, I'll note that my book is a memoir---it's true, real stuff. It's nonfiction.

The fine gentleman who has written a novel is in a completely different genre: probably thriller, realistic fiction. Multiple voices, points-of-view, etc.

https://thenasiona.com/2018/08/29/sihan ... y-the-sea/
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
maiges
Tourist
Canada

Post by maiges »

Belated thanks to username taken above :beer3:

Since I'm normally based in Japan I had no problems writing the 40% of the novel that takes place there. Cambodia, however, presented a challenge. Beyond the required read-ups on the KR era and the aesthetics of the Angkor ruins, writing the novel also meant interviewing Cambodians who escaped or survived the KR as well as traipsing around PP to seek out suitable locations for the climactic events in the story. Read and you'll see :D

The most compelling bit of research, however, involved taking a tuk-tuk out of Battambang on a rainy day and asking the driver to let me off at the edge of a muddy backroad about 40 minutes west of the city. Here, I stumbled through the brush and undergrowth in the rain for the better part of an afternoon, trying to grasp what it might have felt like for someone fleeing Cambodia under adverse conditions -- the fear of a krait lurking nearby, the likelihood of slipping into a muddy swamp, the cacophony of birdcalls, the chances of being spotted by an enemy, the possibility of erecting a makeshift shelter.

The tuktuk driver picked me up 3 hours later (as pre-arranged). I was completely drenched and caked in mud, ruining one full set of (disposable) clothes. But, hey, for a touch of authenticity...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1947373137/
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

maiges wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:56 pm Ok then, in the interest of humanity here it is: The Aggrieved Parties

Congratulations. Having written and published a book is quite a feat.

Your work is not yet done: If you don't have a huge publisher behind you, you also have to become an expert marketer.

I second Phuketrichard's recommendation to look into running further promotions on Amazon. Even free download days. You would combine this with a shout-out on all channels you have access to.
You need traction and you need reviews on Amazon.

If you haven't already done it, I would run some kind of book launch:

If your book is enrolled in Kindle-Select, you can run free Kindle download days for a limited number of days (Amazon should have all the details on Kindle Select).

Reviews also help when you link back to the Amazon listing from your website/other sites. People are just so much more inclined to buy a book that has reviews.

Part of your launch could go like this:

1. Find as many places as you can to give advance notice of your give-away (such as this forum, Facebook groups you are a member of, forums related to SEA, groups and forums related to travel...)
2. You run your free days, give people a heads up your book is available for a free download, and ask them to leave an honest review.

Google "book launch" for more info.

Another site to look into is Goodreads.com. This is basically a large book reader social network, allowing people to discover, discuss, and review books. (Now also owned by Amazon.) Have an entry there for your book so people can find it.

Of course, going to book shops in the region may also be helpful.

But don't forget, many people who live in SEA, including myself, will discover and buy a lot of books on Amazon, in particular Kindle books.

Besides, how do you know that your book is primarily going to draw interest in the region?

All the best with your book.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic