New retirement rules in Thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
2be994510
Tourist
United States of America

New retirement rules in Thailand

Post by 2be994510 »

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: New retirement rules in Thailand

Post by pczz »

2be994510 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:34 pm
Thsi si confusing me becasue the changes may apply to people getting dodgy visas but seem to be the same as people doing it properly have been for some time, or maybe its just new for certain nationalities.
2 years ago i was told at immigration I had to deposit the money 3 months before the application and it had to stay for 3 months after. the bit about only being able to spend half of it is either new or i wasn';t told. Thsi caused a monor problem in that you need an o visa which only gives your 3 months. none of the banks would open an acount without a piec of paper from immigration which i could not get until the money was in the bank - catch 22. In the end i gave up and took a cambodian retirement visa instead - no fuss, no bank deposits, no need for dodgy agents. I fly into thailand maybe 4 or 5 times a year, never had an isssue with thais, cos i got a 12 month cambodian visa. And with the number of chinese in Cambodia now you can fly to bkk for $35 if you book in advance. If the thais don't want our money other people still do. In a few months, when all the retired people have left, they will relax the rules again like they always do when it hits their pockets.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

amazing that a so called attorney gets it wrong, I'd never pay him 1 baht for info
there is NO retirement visa
u can get a LONG term O-A visa in ur own country ( almost good for 2 years)
or you can obtain a 1 year Retirement extension in thailand after you first have a Non O visa ( valid for 90 days) for reasons of being over 50
btw an o visa can be issued for
1. being over 50
2, if married to a thai
3. support a thai child
the new rules do not affect #2 and 3

PCZZ
wrong or you are confused.
2 years ago i was told at immigration I had to deposit the money 3 months before the application and it had to stay for 3 months after.
The OLD rules before march 1st were 3 months before ( or 2months for 1st application) and that was it, you could than withdraw the whole 800,000,
what u are writing of is the NEW rules, effective march 1st
also to get a non O visa in a neighboring country you dont need any money in the bank, to get the extension you do

for 1 above u need only be over 50
for 2 you need show your marriage paper
for 3 you need show a thai bc for ur child and he/she must be under 18

the ONLY thing this guy gets right is it will have an effect on many people
some banks will open an account on a tourist visa, you just need shop around

I expect alot of clarification over the next month or so and Immigration is fighting against these new rules ( upsetting one of their rice bowls)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:30 pm amazing that a so called attorney gets it wrong, I'd never pay him 1 baht for info
there is NO retirement visa
u can get a LONG term O-A visa in ur own country ( almost good for 2 years)
or you can obtain a 1 year Retirement extension in thailand after you first have a Non O visa ( valid for 90 days) for reasons of being over 50
btw an o visa can be issued for
1. being over 50
2, if married to a thai
3. support a thai child
the new rules do not affect #2 and 3

PCZZ
wrong or you are confused.
2 years ago i was told at immigration I had to deposit the money 3 months before the application and it had to stay for 3 months after.
The OLD rules before march 1st were 3 months before ( or 2months for 1st application) and that was it, you could than withdraw the whole 800,000,
what u are writing of is the NEW rules, effective march 1st
also to get a non O visa in a neighboring country you dont need any money in the bank, to get the extension you do

the ONLY thing this guy gets right is it will have an effect on many people
some banks will open an account on a tourist visa, you just need shop around

I expect alot of clarification over the next month or so and Immigration is fighting against these new rules ( upsetting one of their rice bowls)
Sorry, I can only relay what I was told at Pattaya immigration almost exactly one year ago, and by Bangkok Bank on Soi Buakkhow when i went in there to try and open an account.
Thai visas depend on your nationality. As a brit i used to be able to get mA triple entry visa in the uk for 3 entries of 1 month each extendable by 1 month so thats about 6 months alotgether. not sure if its still available. An O-A for me is apparently only 90 days. pattaya told me as I live in Cambodia I could get my retiremenet visa without going home, then changed their minds and told me to get an o visa from Thai embassy in PP. Thye told me they cannot do an O-A but might be able to do and O something but I was sick and tired of all the nonsense by then and stayed here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

wow are u off base again.
what u are saying is simple NOT TRUE
all western passport holders get the same visas;
As a brit i used to be able to get mA triple entry visa in the uk for 3 entries of 1 month each extendable by 1 month so thats about 6 months alotgether
NO you didn't, you could get a double or triple entry thai visa good for 2 or 3 60 stays each and each entry could be extended for 1 month for another 1,900 baht
they did away with that 2 years ago when they brought out the METV>
An O-A for me is apparently only 90 days.
an O visa is good for 90 days stay an O-A visa is good for1 year issued in ur home country

anyone anywhere that has a thai embassy can get a O visa with the right paperwork as i outlined above
you dont need return home .You than EXTEND it in country for1 year

Come on, just admit ur confused...
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Don Sergio
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Don Sergio »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:30 pm

- What's a "non O visa"?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

non immigrant visa as vs a tourist or business visa
duck duck go is ur friend :-)
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:57 pm wow are u off base again.
what u are saying is simple NOT TRUE
all western passport holders get the same visas;
As a brit i used to be able to get mA triple entry visa in the uk for 3 entries of 1 month each extendable by 1 month so thats about 6 months alotgether
NO you didn't, you could get a double or triple entry thai visa good for 2 or 3 60 stays each and each entry could be extended for 1 month for another 1,900 baht
they did away with that 2 years ago when they brought out the METV>
An O-A for me is apparently only 90 days.
an O visa is good for 90 days stay an O-A visa is good for1 year issued in ur home country

anyone anywhere that has a thai embassy can get a O visa with the right paperwork as i outlined above
you dont need return home .You than EXTEND it in country for1 year

Come on, just admit ur confused...
Hm. A few moths ago I went to Pattaya immigration to ask about retirement visa. they told me to go back to Cambodia and get an o visa and they could convert it there.
Went to Thai embassy in PP and asked them and they said nope, becuase i wanted to use it to get a retirement visa.
Moral of these story. keep your gob shut and just ask for an o for a long tourist trip
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic