The Best Full English Breakfast in Cambodia...

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: The Best Full English Breakfast in Cambodia...

Post by Kuroneko »

RickyBobby wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:55 am What is it with the beans? How did that evolve to the breakfast plate? And why no fried potatoes?
It evolved during the Second World War when there was food rationing and "Britain’s Ministry of Food classified Heinz Baked Beans as “essential food” in its wartime rationing system."

'In the 1920s, Heinz stopped exporting baked beans and ketchup to the UK and opened production factories for those goods in England. There, a company executive, trying to sell more baked beans, came up with the bright idea of putting beans on toast—and the Brits loved it. Later, during WW II, Britain’s Ministry of Food classified Heinz Baked Beans as “essential food” in its wartime rationing system. In fact, Heinz UK was helping the war effort so much that the Axis twice bombed the Harlesden, London, factory. Shortly after the war, the Queen issued a Royal Warrant to the company."
https://www.anglophilesunited.com/brit- ... aked-beans
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kampot Oasis does a good English brekkie.

But 99% are disappointing. I only have one a few times a year, because I want live to see 58.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:40 am Kampot Oasis does a good English brekkie.

But 99% are disappointing. I only have one a few times a year, because I want live to see 58.
... there is that! I want to eat full on holiday bacon and eggs breakfasts every day, but of course we cannot. I gained about 11 lbs in 20 days recently, between that and the 50 cent cans. But I got it off again.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Kuroneko wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:26 am
RickyBobby wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:55 am What is it with the beans? How did that evolve to the breakfast plate? And why no fried potatoes?
It evolved during the Second World War when there was food rationing and "Britain’s Ministry of Food classified Heinz Baked Beans as “essential food” in its wartime rationing system."

'In the 1920s, Heinz stopped exporting baked beans and ketchup to the UK and opened production factories for those goods in England. There, a company executive, trying to sell more baked beans, came up with the bright idea of putting beans on toast—and the Brits loved it. Later, during WW II, Britain’s Ministry of Food classified Heinz Baked Beans as “essential food” in its wartime rationing system. In fact, Heinz UK was helping the war effort so much that the Axis twice bombed the Harlesden, London, factory. Shortly after the war, the Queen issued a Royal Warrant to the company."
yeah in the north we still have baked beans with pretty much every meal, its a working class essential lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

logos wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:21 am Them beans are revolting, be it at breakfast or any other time. Just like English bacon, usually a chewy undercooked mess dripping with fat. Give me a regular American breakfast with crispy bacon and hash browns anytime.

Best value breakfast is IMHO at dolce vita on 172. I trade the banger for extra bacon and refuse the beans. 3 eggs, ham and crispy bacon, hash browns, tomato, toasts w/ jam and butter and a decent cup of coffee, all for $4.

american bacon is not even bacon, its pathetic stringy bits of fatty meat
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese added, baked beans and two toast. Good brekkie.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:03 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:26 am

yeah in the north we still have baked beans with pretty much every meal, its a working class essential lol
Essential fibre for the British diet? :plus1:

Couldn't resist..

Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Joker Poker wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:08 pm Scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese added, baked beans and two toast. Good brekkie.
Put the cheese in the beans.

monstra mihi bona!
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

"american bacon is not even bacon, its pathetic stringy bits of fatty meat". And never the twain shall meet. Doesn't matter much to me. I like all bacon although I must admit to a fondness for the American type even though I am Canadian. Funnily enough Canadian bacon isn't much of a deal in Canada and takes a back seat to the American stuff.

Johnny
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

johnny lightning wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:03 pm "american bacon is not even bacon, its pathetic stringy bits of fatty meat". And never the twain shall meet. Doesn't matter much to me. I like all bacon although I must admit to a fondness for the American type even though I am Canadian. Funnily enough Canadian bacon isn't much of a deal in Canada and takes a back seat to the American stuff.

Johnny
Back Bacon will always be superior to streaky bacon in every way lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic