Has anyone been to Laos?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Has anyone been to Laos?

Post by phuketrichard »

RickyBobby wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:50 pm Is it true you cannot be in a hotel room with a woman who is not your wife? (legally) And how would that work if you traveled with your Cambodian 'wife' who is not legally your wife.
Only if the girl is laos
i've been up there twice with my Cambodian gf, once with my daughter.. no problems
Vang Vieng changed in 2013, no more dope, no more wild parties floating down the river, places close own early, LOTS of 3 star places and Koreans
Its still beautiful place scenically, rent a bike and head out of town.

As far as LP goes its a great place and loads of really nice accommodations in old wooden houses ( $40-up in high season) on the river and great restaurants. The town thou is FULL of tourists and the monks are just about forced to do their morning walk. Tourists line up and its a zoo. Many people selling stuff to give the monks and then the monks give it to kids who give it back to the vendors to resell again,
old rice, MaMa etc
Tourists pushing and shoving to get their selfies. Destroys the whole thing
The monks tried to to Stop, BUT as its a Big tourist attraction, the goverment told them they would just hire people to do it if the monks refused.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:10 amTourists pushing and shoving to get their selfies. Destroys the whole thing
The monks tried to to Stop, BUT as its a Big tourist attraction, the goverment told them they would just hire people to do it if the monks refused.
It's a total circus and utterly disgusting. Part of the LP experience is to become a 5-minute Buddhist and feed the monkeys. The food is not even resold, it is thrown away around the corner!!!!!
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:10 am Vang Vieng changed in 2013, no more dope,

That's great Richard. Then why did you previously post this menu if it does not fucking exist anymore.

I love walking down memory lane with you but it does fuck all for a trip planned in the present day. And that post made no mention that this is not available anymore.

What a let down man.
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:25 pm Menu in Vang Vieng in 2012

https://phuket.zenfolio.com/p409010745/ ... #h4cc75006
pot, opium, mushrooms :beer3:
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Is it possible to ride a Cambodian plated motorbike into Laos ???
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

same as if entering Thailand,
if its not in ur name.... NO
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

FFS, looks like I'm stuck in Cambodia then, What about Vietnam, lol
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:59 pm same as if entering Thailand,
Not true i have ridden a cambodian reg kawasaki 250 into and back out of Laos and it was not in my name.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

andy1 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:52 pm
Not true i have ridden a cambodian reg kawasaki 250 into and back out of Laos and it was not in my name.
when? from where? things change,
Maybe get a POA from previous owner in english

some up to date info
https://www.nomadasaurus.com/crossing-t ... east-asia/
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

DaveG wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:18 pm FFS, looks like I'm stuck in Cambodia then, What about Vietnam, lol
It's so costly with loads of paperwork and a fixer (around one thousand$) that it is, in effect, impossible. Check www.gt-rider.com.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:25 am
andy1 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:52 pm
when? from where? things change,
Maybe get a POA from previous owner in english

some up to date info
https://www.nomadasaurus.com/crossing-t ... east-asia/
This was towards the end of 2016 and i have had alook at that web site and can see no changes affecting a cambodian reg bike.Trying to take a viet reg bike through the cambodia Laos crossing is a definate no no.My crossing i was issued a 30 day import permit by the Laos side after paying the unoficial $2 processing fee.On the way back i had stayed more than the 30 days allowed so was a bit worried about crossing,I waited for a coach to turn up and parked the bike behind the bus and mingled in with the passengers to do the personal bit of the visa,collected all the relevant stamps for the passport and just climbed on the bike and rode through customs.No one took any notice. :D :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic