All about my home ( Phuket) for 33 1/2 out of the last 35 years

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Re: All about my home ( Phuket) for 33 1/2 out of the last 35 years

Post by markd »

i lived in udon for a year

never interested in phuket, probably the tsunami risk
thru shit to more shit
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

markd wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:53 pm i lived in udon for a year

never interested in phuket, probably the tsunami risk
Tsunamis are fairly rare occurences. Drunk thai drivers in UDon used to be a frequent risk :bow:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I wanted to enter Thailand from Malaysia border last week as I had no trouble doing so two years ago. This time there were plenty of brown skin people going through getting stamps in their passport, but this white skin was directed to a separate line and the officer points to a blue and white sign which had bla bla bla and minimum 10,000 baht. I fill out the arrival card and he ignores me, even though he had no other customers. Eventually I am pointed to a office, I go in and another officer points to a identical sign . He picks up my arrival card and says ,,, no address, must have address of hotel where you stay. I tell him I stay with friend, no hotel. Must have address in Thailand. so I write 26/soi 6 Pattaya.
Next is , you must have plane ticket out. You show me plane booking ticket. ,,,, I go by minibus to Cambodia , No plane.
Next is,, must show 10,000baht,,, you not show money you go back and he walks away.

I sit in a chair for ten minuets waiting and planning my next move. Go back to Butterworth for a few days as I quite like that place, then KL , and back to Cambodia.
But not before I kick this guy in the ass. So I put my phone in my top shirt pocket with the camera facing forward, and take a sheet of A4 paper from my bag, place it on the desk and write the day, date and time and the first part of his name from his ID badge. Sorn.... Sir , my friend who speaks Thai in Thailand will be helping me write a letter of complaint to the TAT and Ministry of Imigration but I need your name for reference.
He turned sideways I could not see his badge.,,,, Sir, I not need cause my cctv on my phone ,,, I point to it,, already send video by internet to google cloud storage.
He gets angry and says no photo, not allowed photo. ,,, Sir, not have photo, same cctv camera, I point to the cctv camera up above , automatic delete in 30.days.
I am thinking he cannot do much cause I have not entered Thailand yet ?
I took him less than 30 seconds to stamp my passport and staple the arrival card in my passport. and hand it to me.
Obviously he knows as much about google, cloud storage, cctv cameras and phone cameras as I do, but I knew more about bullshit an bluffing than him.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Bluelabel
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Bluelabel »

Duncan wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:40 pm I wanted to enter Thailand from Malaysia border last week as I had no trouble doing so two years ago. This time there were plenty of brown skin people going through getting stamps in their passport, but this white skin was directed to a separate line and the officer points to a blue and white sign which had bla bla bla and minimum 10,000 baht. I fill out the arrival card and he ignores me, even though he had no other customers. Eventually I am pointed to a office, I go in and another officer points to a identical sign . He picks up my arrival card and says ,,, no address, must have address of hotel where you stay. I tell him I stay with friend, no hotel. Must have address in Thailand. so I write 26/soi 6 Pattaya.
Next is , you must have plane ticket out. You show me plane booking ticket. ,,,, I go by minibus to Cambodia , No plane.
Next is,, must show 10,000baht,,, you not show money you go back and he walks away.

I sit in a chair for ten minuets waiting and planning my next move. Go back to Butterworth for a few days as I quite like that place, then KL , and back to Cambodia.
But not before I kick this guy in the ass. So I put my phone in my top shirt pocket with the camera facing forward, and take a sheet of A4 paper from my bag, place it on the desk and write the day, date and time and the first part of his name from his ID badge. Sorn.... Sir , my friend who speaks Thai in Thailand will be helping me write a letter of complaint to the TAT and Ministry of Imigration but I need your name for reference.
He turned sideways I could not see his badge.,,,, Sir, I not need cause my cctv on my phone ,,, I point to it,, already send video by internet to google cloud storage.
He gets angry and says no photo, not allowed photo. ,,, Sir, not have photo, same cctv camera, I point to the cctv camera up above , automatic delete in 30.days.
I am thinking he cannot do much cause I have not entered Thailand yet ?
I took him less than 30 seconds to stamp my passport and staple the arrival card in my passport. and hand it to me.
Obviously he knows as much about google, cloud storage, cctv cameras and phone cameras as I do, but I knew more about bullshit an bluffing than him.
Why would you get any special treatment for being white?

There is alot of poor no good white people in southeast asia begging and scabbing off thirdworlders.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Moving to Kep I assume ?

Do you think living in Cambodia will be a lot harder than living in Phuket, what sort of differences do you think it will make to your current lifestyle ?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

jaynewcastle wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:28 am Moving to Kep I assume ?

Do you think living in Cambodia will be a lot harder than living in Phuket, what sort of differences do you think it will make to your current lifestyle ?
yes,
A Lot harder, no ; different, Yes :-)
No western supermarkets nearby,( local market in Kep sucks) no good restaurants, (gf cooks better than most restaurants there) availability of good to purchase is poor (yea things break)
Everything will cost me more and not be the same quality and the selection. Means i have to get out and make new friends, (never easy unless one enjoys drinking in bars, which i don't)
Driving in Cambodia is never easy compared to here.

Now trying to figure out how to get all my stuff up there.

BUT it will mean, i hopefully can live cheaper, as there just aren't available the things we eat, buy, to cook there.
Unless we do trips to PP

Its going to be a real game change
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic