I can’t look at it.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: I can’t look at it.

Post by hanno »

jaclu wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:14 am The issue with literally burning cash is more of a respect thing. Regardless of the value for the burning man, it mocks people that are less affluent in a pretty arrogant way, on a totally different level than buying a luxury item, since then at least you have a quality item that you can enjoy or use to display richness in a less offensive way.
It’s kind of a Nouveau Riche act that just lacks class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I totally agree, I think it is crass as hell. But it is also illegal in many countries.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Certainly would be frowned upon in Thailand, I was advised not to even ask for King sized cigarettes on my virgin trip. Defacing an American bill is a crime in the USA, but burning an American flag is not. Pretzel logic?
DrRawBlueGreen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DrRawBlueGreen »

Other countries do this lol. I wonder if they have destroyed their American oil pipelines and Boeing planes too? :P
“If the world was a girl, I’d stick my d..k in the ground. F..k the World.”

“Borders do not make us safe rather they keep us as slaves”
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:18 am Certainly would be frowned upon in Thailand, I was advised not to even ask for King sized cigarettes on my virgin trip. Defacing an American bill is a crime in the USA, but burning an American flag is not. Pretzel logic?
You make some good points. Also never, ever ask for a king size bed in a Thai hotel, guest house, or bungalo in Thailand!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Anthony's Weiner wrote:Certainly would be frowned upon in Thailand, I was advised not to even ask for King sized cigarettes on my virgin trip. Defacing an American bill is a crime in the USA, but burning an American flag is not. Pretzel logic?
No pretzel logic. Burning an American flag used to be a crime in the USA, too. But then some snowflakes burned the flag and then challenged it all the way up to the Supreme Court and won. (Former) Lead attorney for the ACLU is a Supreme Court Justice.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:08 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote:Certainly would be frowned upon in Thailand, I was advised not to even ask for King sized cigarettes on my virgin trip. Defacing an American bill is a crime in the USA, but burning an American flag is not. Pretzel logic?
No pretzel logic. Burning an American flag used to be a crime in the USA, too. But then some snowflakes burned the flag and then challenged it all the way up to the Supreme Court and won. (Former) Lead attorney for the ACLU is a Supreme Court Justice.
My understanding is that US currency as all others is owned by the issuing government and it's destruction ( on a widescale basis could harm the economy. . It is merely a promise of payment backed by the U.S. Government. It is, therefore, U.S. government property, and it is not your right to destroy it.

According to title 18, section 333,

“Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both”

But burning an American flag is legal and protected by the First Amendment. The Supreme Court invalidated laws that prohibited flag burning in Texas v Johnson. The decision was made in a 5-4 split regardless of what the ACLU involvement and Mr Johnson was a member of the Revolutionary Communist Party of the USA.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic