Kampot has a Flu Epidemic ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Kampot has a Flu Epidemic ?

Post by kaputt »

Kampot Flu Endemic ?

I returned to Cambodia after a 2 week xmas visit in Europe and fell sick after the first day back. All symptoms are like a flu but i met several people in Kampot that claimed to have Dengue Fever which i doubt was really true. In the following weeks more and more people felled sick with exactly the same symptoms that i experienced. Tired, sore throat, mild fever and suddenly cold again and again. While i was feeling better after about 10 days like you normally would after a normal flu the whole process repeated itself again and again over the past 7 weeks. Many people i met experienced the same. Even my Khmer Gardener and his kid, people which were never sick over the past 6 years experienced the same.
My question therefore is> Did anyone in Kampot experience the same and what remedy did they use if any to get back to normal ? Furthermore i am surprised that no comments turned up in any of the social media here.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Kampot has a Flu Epidemic ?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I don't know anything about it. Live and work here.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

kaputt wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:20 pm Kampot Flu Endemic ?

I returned to Cambodia after a 2 week xmas visit in Europe and fell sick after the first day back. All symptoms are like a flu but i met several people in Kampot that claimed to have Dengue Fever which i doubt was really true. In the following weeks more and more people felled sick with exactly the same symptoms that i experienced. Tired, sore throat, mild fever and suddenly cold again and again. While i was feeling better after about 10 days like you normally would after a normal flu the whole process repeated itself again and again over the past 7 weeks. Many people i met experienced the same. Even my Khmer Gardener and his kid, people which were never sick over the past 6 years experienced the same.
My question therefore is> Did anyone in Kampot experience the same and what remedy did they use if any to get back to normal ? Furthermore i am surprised that no comments turned up in any of the social media here.
Well most of the permanent expats down in Kampot are in a perpetual state of malaise, especially those who moved up from Sihanoukville (if you believe the original founding fathers of Kampot who arrived at least 2 years ago :D ) , bad diets, 50c beer, 50c cigarettes, cheap bush cannabis, no fruit and veg, poor sanitation....not to mention the wettest wet season they have had in a while which created a lost of must and mold which, depending on where you stayed may have not been treated or properly dried out, plus us the dust and shit (literal - sewers overflow, goes on road, dries, churned up by bikes/cars, you breathe it) churned up by the ruined roads from the Chinese trucks, there a re lots of reasons why. Also Dengue was the highest in Cambodia for a long time so it wouldn't surprise me there was sickness. Not to mention all the western folks coming from winter in Europe, US or UK with all their germs hanging out coughing in the same small bars and sucking on a passed around joint. Yep sure sir, many a reason people got sick there. :hattip:
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:49 pm
kaputt wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:20 pm Kampot Flu Endemic ?

Well most of the permanent expats down in Kampot are in a perpetual state of malaise, especially those who moved up from Sihanoukville (if you believe the original founding fathers of Kampot who arrived at least 2 years ago :D ) , bad diets, 50c beer, 50c cigarettes, cheap bush cannabis, no fruit and veg, poor sanitation....not to mention the wettest wet season they have had in a while which created a lost of must and mold which, depending on where you stayed may have not been treated or properly dried out, plus us the dust and shit (literal - sewers overflow, goes on road, dries, churned up by bikes/cars, you breathe it) churned up by the ruined roads from the Chinese trucks, there a re lots of reasons why. Also Dengue was the highest in Cambodia for a long time so it wouldn't surprise me there was sickness. Not to mention all the western folks coming from winter in Europe, US or UK with all their germs hanging out coughing in the same small bars and sucking on a passed around joint. Yep sure sir, many a reason people got sick there. :hattip:
It’s funny how the move from SHK to Kampot produced diferents results on different people both khmers and barangs. Some bloomed like flowers while others went from bad to worse or even died..
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by kaputt »

i agree with the assessment made here. BUT: This is my first day since Jan 5. that i am actually getting better ! My Gardener, his kid still have severly sore throughts, Bob the expat is actually unable to get outside his guesthouse because he is simply too weak. The Girl that served at theDouceur du Cambodge (a Sister of the owner) collapsed and had to be carried out in an emergency and looked very very sick. 2 expat customers of the garden cafe got it and had a rough time. So all in all more people had it than i noticed in previous seasons. Here is an info that perhaps put some light on the subject. We may just face another, more severe strain of flu this year:
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news ... widely-cdc

As for Kampot i agree with the previous poster that all the dust that is thrown up by trucks etc. and the past rainy season, one of the worst i witnessed in the past decade in cambodia may all have an affect on your health. Streptococcus and Staphylococccus bacteria is a real bastard and affects eyes, ears, lungth etc.
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

I have flu like symptoms now. Thinking dengue but don't have all the symptoms for that. It's been 3 days so I'll get a blood test tomorrow if still no change.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Flu means you are bed-ridden for a week and you hallucinate. Don't confuse rhinoviruses with flu, flu kills people. It's more likely you've got dengue, there are four types, one of them quite mild. It's probably just a cold, though.
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

Bed ridden all weekend and fever worsened last night. Flu doesn't necessarily cause hallucinations. Clinic today.
Amkoo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Amkoo »

I got flu on 13. February in Kep and im still sick little bit. Before that i visited many times in Kampot. My neighbour was also sick on week 6, but he had real dengue fever.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic