How much should I pay for a language tutor?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kps
Expatriate
Cambodia

How much should I pay for a language tutor?

Post by kps »

I intend to ask hotel reception for someone that helps me translate a few sentences I wrote down.

I know a few words from earlier visits and will see if I can improve on that.

I don't want a teacher. Just someone that knows a little English and can teach me how to sort out a few simple situations in Khmer.

How much should I offer to pay for a 2 hr session?
violet
Expatriate

Re: How much should I pay for a language tutor?

Post by violet »

$15 for one 2 hour session..
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
kps
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kps »

Thanks for reply. I don't know the current levels of salaries. I just remember that 10 years ago a friend with good English and Chinese, recently graduated from university had $120/month. A few years ago a young friend had $200.

Arriving now I see lightning fast development in PP, but my hotel charges about the same. I stay in simple but clean hotel.

I wonder if they would be offended if I offered $8/2 hrs?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

You could walk down the riverside, meet groups of university students, ask them if they speak English, and see if they want to be your friends. If you have friends like that, they could help you with Khmer, and you could help them with English. You would not need to pay. You can meet people like that in many places, the riverside is just one example.

You could look for someone who is a good teacher, and ask them how much they normally charge.

Are you in Phnom Penh? How long are you staying?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Actually you've reminded me that there are free groups they meet at restaurants and cafes look on Facebook
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

explorer wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:21 am You could walk down the riverside, meet groups of university students, ask them if they speak English, and see if they want to be your friends.
Hello what's your name? Where you go? Friend me? OK I go only $20 OK?
kps
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kps »

Thanks, many good suggestions. I will gradually look into it.
I probably stay long time. I just got one year visa. So far I stay in PP.

I bought some books at Monument and try to get pronounciation from Google translate.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

kps wrote:Thanks for reply. I don't know the current levels of salaries. I just remember that 10 years ago a friend with good English and Chinese, recently graduated from university had $120/month. A few years ago a young friend had $200.

Arriving now I see lightning fast development in PP, but my hotel charges about the same. I stay in simple but clean hotel.

If the person is a teacher, I think you'd be low-balling them. However, if you're fine with talking to the hotel receptionist outside of working hours as a one off, then I think they'd be fine with that amount.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:21 am You could walk down the riverside, meet groups of university students, ask them if they speak English, and see if they want to be your friends. If you have friends like that, they could help you with Khmer, and you could help them with English. You would not need to pay. You can meet people like that in many places, the riverside is just one example.

You could look for someone who is a good teacher, and ask them how much they normally charge.

Are you in Phnom Penh? How long are you staying?
It's not for everyone to hang out on the riverside, desperately looking for 'university students' to talk to. Usually the first one to approach aren't those people.

To be honest, I've not seen so many uni students around, and if they're around they're busy with their friends and not looking for someone to 'tutor'.

I would just cough up a few bucks and find a tutor.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:13 am
kps wrote:Thanks for reply. I don't know the current levels of salaries. I just remember that 10 years ago a friend with good English and Chinese, recently graduated from university had $120/month. A few years ago a young friend had $200.

If the person is a teacher, I think you'd be low-balling them. However, if you're fine with talking to the hotel receptionist outside of working hours as a one off, then I think they'd be fine with that amount.
I think if you would be in a long-term-teaching-relation you might be able to get to 8$ for 2 hours, but initially, no. The teacher will indeed be offended. But you should ask Explorer for the number of some uni students. You might save 8 bucks that way. Just use PM.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic