UK Hostel Owner, Joe Morrissey, in a Coma in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Hmc123
Tourist
Great Britain

Re: UK Hostel Owner, Joe Morrissey, in a Coma in Sihanoukville

Post by Hmc123 »

Some of these comments actually sicken me! Firstly people saying not wearing a helmet is ‘retarded’... not reading the article where it says nothing about him not wearing a helmet is retarded! People saying he should pay back every cent and he doesn’t deserve it and is begging - his MANY friends clubbed together to raise money for him and his family because he is so so loved and truly deserves it, he’s a genuine guy as are his family and you should be truly ashamed if you have written unnecessary or nasty things on here, don’t like the situation or whatever keep it to yourself and move on you don’t need to upset others with it.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Hmc123 wrote:
rozzieoz wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:13 pm When I see Westerners on motos with no helmet it makes my blood boil. So fucking irresponsible.
Does it say he doesn’t have helmet on...? Why it matters to you is beyond me.
I wasn’t talking about him specifically, the comment was about foreigners in general, sorry.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Hmc123 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:24 pm Some of these comments actually sicken me! Firstly people saying not wearing a helmet is ‘retarded’... not reading the article where it says nothing about him not wearing a helmet is retarded! People saying he should pay back every cent and he doesn’t deserve it and is begging - his MANY friends clubbed together to raise money for him and his family because he is so so loved and truly deserves it, he’s a genuine guy as are his family and you should be truly ashamed if you have written unnecessary or nasty things on here, don’t like the situation or whatever keep it to yourself and move on you don’t need to upset others with it.
While it may not be nice for friends and relatives of the poor lad to read this, you seem to overlook one thing. That's the fact people from that part of the world are kind of independent, or want to be independent, and are considered to be taking care of themselves. Fundraising when shit hits the fan doesn't match that attitude.

It seems the poor guy didn't take care of himself, since someone is raising funds for him now. It also raises the question how good this poor fellow has been taking care of his family so far, like his little lovely daughter for instance, since he didn't even take care of himself well enough.

So even though he's been extremely unlucky, criticism is not totally unfounded.
Hmc123
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Hmc123 »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:39 pm
Hmc123 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:24 pm Some of these comments actually sicken me! Firstly people saying not wearing a helmet is ‘retarded’... not reading the article where it says nothing about him not wearing a helmet is retarded! People saying he should pay back every cent and he doesn’t deserve it and is begging - his MANY friends clubbed together to raise money for him and his family because he is so so loved and truly deserves it, he’s a genuine guy as are his family and you should be truly ashamed if you have written unnecessary or nasty things on here, don’t like the situation or whatever keep it to yourself and move on you don’t need to upset others with it.
While it may not be nice for friends and relatives of the poor lad to read this, you seem to overlook one thing. That's the fact people from that part of the world are kind of independent, or want to be independent, and are considered to be taking care of themselves. Fundraising when shit hits the fan doesn't match that attitude.

It seems the poor guy didn't take care of himself, since someone is raising funds for him now. It also raises the question how good this poor fellow has been taking care of his family so far, like his little lovely daughter for instance, since he didn't even take care of himself well enough.

Yes that’s totally fine but funnily enough have you considered he might have that attitude too? It wasn’t him asking people to help him whilst hes been in a coma was it... also the fact that it is extremely clear you haven’t read his story makes me feel like your comment is dismissible - he has a son not a daughter. And he is the best dad his boy could wish for. Find something better to do with your life then judge and abuse people!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Hmc123 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:54 pm

Yes that’s totally fine but funnily enough have you considered he might have that attitude too? It wasn’t him asking people to help him whilst hes been in a coma was it... also the fact that it is extremely clear you haven’t read his story makes me feel like your comment is dismissible - he has a son not a daughter. And he is the best dad his boy could wish for. Find something better to do with your life then judge and abuse people!
If you believe saying:

"So even though he's been extremely unlucky, criticism is not totally unfounded."

is judgemental and abusive that's OK, but I don't think it is.

And if the poor lad is the best father his boy could ask for I'm confident the little boy has medical insurance. That's a good thing in Cambodia where kids are exposed to all kind of nasty diseases.
The Suk Straggler
BANNED

Post by The Suk Straggler »

I dare say the “best” dad ... really best, top of the heap ... would have gotten health insurance for himself and his family and stopped riding around without a helmet once he had a child!
Hmc123
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Hmc123 »

The Suk Straggler wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:06 pm I dare say the “best” dad ... really best, top of the heap ... would have gotten health insurance for himself and his family and stopped riding around without a helmet once he had a child!
Waiting for you to quote where on Earth you’ve read he had no helemet on....?!!
Hmc123
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Hmc123 »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:05 pm
Hmc123 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:54 pm

If you believe saying:

"So even though he's been extremely unlucky, criticism is not totally unfounded."

is judgemental and abusive that's OK, but I don't think it is.

And if the poor lad is the best father his boy could ask for I'm confident the little boy has medical insurance. That's a good thing in Cambodia where kids are exposed to all kind of nasty diseases.
No but questioning his ability to look after his child is yes. And me too.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Hmc123 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:13 pm
The Suk Straggler wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:06 pm I dare say the “best” dad ... really best, top of the heap ... would have gotten health insurance for himself and his family and stopped riding around without a helmet once he had a child!
Waiting for you to quote why he didn't have health insurance for himself and his family?! :facepalm:
Hmc123
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Hmc123 »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:29 pm
Hmc123 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:13 pm
Waiting for you to quote why he didn't have health insurance for himself and his family?! :facepalm:
I’m gonna go ahead and take that as a no from you, I’m also gonna say he didn’t not have health insurance at all it just hasn’t covered and i’ll admit at present I don’t know the ins and outs of that - but I certainly know a lot more than you and if you need to comment your lacking opinion maybe find more facts out first.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic