I want my sidewalk back.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: I want my sidewalk back.

Post by Duncan »

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It may not happen today or tomorrow, next week , next month or next year, but it will happen on Earth as it does in Heaven.

Khorn Savi | The Phnom Penh Post
Publication date 20 February 2019 | 15:18 ICT

The governor of Phnom Penh’s Daun Penh district Sok Penh Vuth said on Tuesday that authorities will begin taking tough measures on Thursday against illegal parking and street vendors that encroach the pavements alongside Preah Norodom Boulevard between Wat Phnom and Independence Monument.

Penh Vuth told The Post that the authorities will tow away vehicles that park on the pavement and impound them for 15 days before making contracts to return the vehicles. The measures will apply to everyone, he said, including state institutions and car dealers.

“[On Wednesday] we will issue warnings for one more day to ministries, institutions, companies and private houses along the boulevard so they can cooperate."

“After distributing the warning, if they don’t listen . . . we will carry out the administrative measures from February 21,” he said.

Penh Vuth said the public order notice is being made because Preah Norodom Boulevard is the main road which national and international delegates travel on and its pavements are equipped with special luxury tiles for pedestrians and people with disabilities to use.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Duncan wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:47 am It may not happen today or tomorrow, next week , next month or next year, but it will happen on Earth as it does in Heaven.

Khorn Savi | The Phnom Penh Post
Publication date 20 February 2019 | 15:18 ICT

The governor of Phnom Penh’s Daun Penh district Sok Penh Vuth said on Tuesday that authorities will begin taking tough measures on Thursday against illegal parking and street vendors that encroach the pavements alongside Preah Norodom Boulevard between Wat Phnom and Independence Monument.

Penh Vuth told The Post that the authorities will tow away vehicles that park on the pavement and impound them for 15 days before making contracts to return the vehicles. The measures will apply to everyone, he said, including state institutions and car dealers.

“[On Wednesday] we will issue warnings for one more day to ministries, institutions, companies and private houses along the boulevard so they can cooperate."

“After distributing the warning, if they don’t listen . . . we will carry out the administrative measures from February 21,” he said.

Penh Vuth said the public order notice is being made because Preah Norodom Boulevard is the main road which national and international delegates travel on and its pavements are equipped with special luxury tiles for pedestrians and people with disabilities to use.
haha i would love to see someone slapping a ticket on a government plate. Its all ministeries and banks and stuff along there and they havent got a clue if they are ticketing a minister or a chauffeur
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Norodom is actually one of the few streets that are walkable in this town. Maybe some small sidestreets in tonle basaak are also nice (abdul carime) but no pavement there. I would say work on the rest but that's kinda naive.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

King Keil wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:33 am Norodom is actually one of the few streets that are walkable in this town. Maybe some small sidestreets in tonle basaak are also nice (abdul carime) but no pavement there. I would say work on the rest but that's kinda naive.
Norodom is quite walkable, especially on the west side. The stretch either side of street 154 gets a bit blocked.
The authorities have put a grass verge along the stretch outside Sisowath School (178 to 184) so cars can no longer park on the sidewalk there. This has had the effect of making a nice clear run for motos to use when the main street gets blocked! This keeps you on your toe when sidewalk-walking.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Thing is the street traders pay the house owner to use the sidewalk in front of their house. I looked at a house with a "sitting tenant" psying $300 a month to block the sidewalk.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

I just drove down Norodom and there were still cars parked on the sidewalks so maybe it is going to happen tomorrow....
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

The sidewalks on both sides of Norodom between 110 and Independence have been remarkably clear of late. Almost like a normal city. The only complete blockage I noticed was at KFC, corner of 208, where customers are invited to park and block the pavement.
Motos are getting more and more interested in using the newly cleared paths as an expressway, however.
I give credit to the city authorities for progress on promoting walking and bus use. These have to be key in alleviating traffic congestion and pollution.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic