Will Brexit hurt you in ways you havent thought of

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Will Brexit hurt you in ways you havent thought of

Post by DaveG »

Good morning all,

Leek soup for breakfast anyone, Yummy, :stir:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 85951.html
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Another manufactured scare story by the anti-Brexit people.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Multipox wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:23 am
I know, total BS, as they failed to mention turnips and carrots, useless :stir:
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

YORKIE wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:25 pm CASH CASH CASH, For all those who think none of this is related to Brexit, I will happily pass on e-mails from various African National Banks requiring assistance to look after $300 million if you please forward me your bank details.
Sony
Dyson
Panasonic
Lloyds
Unilever
Goldman Sachs
Barclays
Airbus UK
Flybmi
P&O
HSBC
J P Morgan
UBS
Ford
Hitachi
Toshiba
AXA
Honda ( Yesterday )
Moneygram
Phillips
European Banking Authority
European Medicines Agency
Bank Of American
J R Mogg setting up Offices in Dublin
John Redwood advising Investors not to invest in The UK

Days since referendum ---------- 972

Days to go to Brexit ------------ 37

Alternative Arrangements ---------- 0

Trade agreements since 2016 -------- 2
Jog on.

Tog, You are correct at pointing out The UK's record employment figures. However, zero hours contracts, which particularity effects the young, play a big part here. If someone only works 3, 6, 10, 15 22 hours per week they are registered as employed. I have a zero hours part time job April to October. At 67 years old even I am registered as employed. If you are going to educate !!! people at least try a give them the true facts
Time for a nap :dm:
You're only considered unemployed if you're receiving unemployment benefit, these figures are manipulated constantly and are in no way shape or form to be taken at face value.
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

DaveG wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:40 pm
Multipox wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:23 am
I know, total BS, as they failed to mention turnips and carrots, useless :stir:
And let's not forget the old favourites.

Powdered egg and bully beef from Argentina , well maybe bully beef is off the menu as the Venezuelans may had got there first.

Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

For all the people who likes a hard Brexit: Much promise and little giving makes the fools live in joy. :beer3:
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

TOG wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:03 pm
khmerhamster wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:15 pm I am in the wrong and in the minority???
About what? I’m not sure I have stated my views. I just challenged some of the nonsense that you are spouting. But of course with your 3 recent tours of Ulster you clearly know what the people of RoI want.

The republic want a united ireland? - the polls I have read show that about 1 in 3 people just don’t care. This would be consistent with what I see on the ground. And for the rest, there are a few hardliners on both sides, but the majority of those voting are thinking ‘maybe within the next 20 years’.

You don’t know what you think you know.
You have moaned and moaned about Brexit and how it will hurt, about your family and the future. I think that is a subtle hint you would rather remain in the EU.

You did look at those links I posted? Every poll carried out in the Republic shows an overwhelming vote to unite Ireland. I am confident that within 10 or 20 years, the two sides will unite and there will no longer be a Northern Ireland. Not such a bad thing. Instead of insulting me, show links to your view that the Republic want to keep Ireland as two countries.

One more point and that's me finished with trying to educate you.

Ever since the Maastricht treaty, what has proven to be a majority of voters had to make do with being in the EU when all they ever wanted was a common market, not a political unification. Did they try to run down the economy? No. Did they forecast the end of the world? No. Did they cause any trouble and organise marches to Downing Street? No. They just got on with making the best out of a bad deal.

When the opportunity came for those who wanted a complete break from Europe came, they voted for it.

Sour grapes and scorched earth policy from the Remainers. That's what makes the break so hard. Instead of accepting the majority vote and getting on with it, they just try to run the country down with Project Fear and activist marches.
TOG why don't you start a new thread on "how the EU is going to help you in ways you don't know"
I can think of 1. i will no longer be paying Farages salasry and he will have to get a proper job.
I am really pleased that you are rich enough to protect yourself from brexit. I am not. perhaps you would like to donate $3000 a year to pay for my medical insurance. I, and many nlike me, did what the governemtn said and saved fr our retirements. It is not possibe in the time I have left to increase my pot to the craxy level required to have a decent retirement in Europe.
Perhaps you should go to Swindon and explain how stupid they were not to plan for losing their jobs?
Finally as you know the reason Bresiteers will oppose a second vote is because the lies they told first time will not work second time and the majority oin the Uk want to stay. Nothing matter a damn what they were conned into last time. So, logically, you brexiteers should move. Emigrate to a country that does not belong to any trade agreements, doews not have to follow any other countries rules as a result of those trade agreements, doe snot have any form of international court to determine on trade disputes, in case you disagree with the result. North Korea would probably suit you nicely
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

TOG wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:26 pm Meanwhile, my shares in three UK companies are doing very nicely this last month. Large dividends and growth. Brexit is a good move for them.
How did your shares perform in November and December 2018?

They already made up this year for the drop back then?
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:44 pm
TOG wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:26 pm Meanwhile, my shares in three UK companies are doing very nicely this last month. Large dividends and growth. Brexit is a good move for them.

OK Thanks. I averaged just over a 12% gain last year on the portfolio as a whole then there are the dividends to add in.

As for the rest, not even interested in starting a thread on how leaving the EU will help us but don't let that stop you from starting one.

What I find objectionable to all of this is that everyone assumes that those who voted to leave all did so because of trade and immigration. I voted to remain because I knew that there would never be an agreement on what type of Brexit we would end up with. and I have been proven right. Now we are coming out, I am doing whatever I have to make sure my family does OK, not sitting down and moaning or crying about how unfair life is. Politicians all have their own agenda and I would not trust any of them to negotiate a good deal for the UK.

My only objections to remaining in the EU is the fact that it is going to become a full political union with all major laws being made from Brussels by unelected people. That is not democracy. Also (and I know it costs the country less than £1 billion a year) I object to other EU citizens coming to the UK simply because we have to offer them the same wages and benefits including welfare that we offer our own citizens regardless of whether or not their families are in the UK with them.

Under my scheme, we would have free trade with the EU (not a single market), allow any person from any country to come to the UK provided they can support themselves and not be eligible for benefits or the NHS (unless they have been fully employed and paying taxes for a set number of years). Employment should be offered to UK citizens first and then the rest of the world. Oh yes, we had this once, it was called the Common Market or the ECM. Then without asking the public, John Major went and signed the Maastricht Treaty committing us to political union with the EU.

If you really want a United Europe, then all wages, taxes, laws and benefits should be standardised across the EU. That way, there would not be benefit tourism and no one could complain. Won't happen of course, it's too simple.
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

TOG wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:22 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:44 pm

OK Thanks. I averaged just over a 12% gain last year on the portfolio as a whole then there are the dividends to add in.
Congrats.

Yo beat all the UK stock indexes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic