New driving license procedure for foreigners

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: New driving license procedure for foreigners

Post by Duncan »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:54 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:44 pm

I wonder whether you can try at another nearby sangkat?
No...you can only be issued a Certificate of Residence from the Sangkat where you reside and are (supposed to be) registered.

@bro.s'art ...If the Sangkat are refusing to issue the Cert of Residency, that is most likely because the landlord has not registered you with the Sangkat, and is therefore not paying the applicable tax. You need to take this issue up with your landlord.
Move to a second residence ,, hotel , different sangkat
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

mike75 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:56 pm My experience from July last year: I wasn't prepared to pay the agent $85 just for one year validity so did it in PP. I first went to Aeon Mall but was turned away and advised to see Dept.of Public Works where I would be required to do the test. It took a few trips, and proof of residency was essential, but ended up with a 3 yr license, total cost about $30, including eye test. And no probs renewing when it expires.
So you done the tests but only received a 3 year license? I'm guessing you must be an older Gentleman, can't remember the age restrictions, but certain that under 50 year olds at least receive a 10 year license if they complete the testing.
Moose
Expatriate

Post by Moose »

I just went to a driving school in PP, asking about renewing my 1-year License. They told me to go to Aeon Mall 2 and do it, that was clear.

When i asked if i needed a letter form my Sangkat (proof of residency) they said i did not, as my old licence was from 2017 (expiring in 2018) and therefore its not needed.

Can anyone else clarify this? i would rather know for sure before trekking all the way to Aeon Mall 2

thanks!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Moose wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:26 pm I just went to a driving school in PP, asking about renewing my 1-year License. They told me to go to Aeon Mall 2 and do it, that was clear.

When i asked if i needed a letter form my Sangkat (proof of residency) they said i did not, as my old licence was from 2017 (expiring in 2018) and therefore its not needed.

Can anyone else clarify this? i would rather know for sure before trekking all the way to Aeon Mall 2

thanks!
For normal renewals you don't need it. I went to Aeon 2 last year with a 6 week expired licence and didn't have to show residency. However, I don't know what happens if the licence has expired for a considerable period of time ie whether there's some sort of time limit (if any?).
bro.s'art
Expatriate
Germany

Post by bro.s'art »

Duncan wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:30 pm
Your present landlord will have to pay 10 % tax on the rent if he is in the system.
If proof of residence is all that is needed , why not move to a hotel/guesthouse for ?? days , let the hotel do the reporting ,until the problem is solved. But still keep you place you have now, just tell them you have moved .
[/quote]

I would like to do that, but according to my Sangkat I have to wait three months to get the proof of residence, that would be law.
My landlord screwed up because he wanted to save 10% taxes, now he makes a new contract and registers me with the Sangkat and in three months I get the proof of residence and that is very long.
If it's faster in a hotel, I immediately move into a hotel (temporarily), do you have any experience?
bro.s'art
Expatriate
Germany

Post by bro.s'art »

Duncan wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:13 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:54 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:44 pm

I wonder whether you can try at another nearby sangkat?
No...you can only be issued a Certificate of Residence from the Sangkat where you reside and are (supposed to be) registered.

@bro.s'art ...If the Sangkat are refusing to issue the Cert of Residency, that is most likely because the landlord has not registered you with the Sangkat, and is therefore not paying the applicable tax. You need to take this issue up with your landlord.
Move to a second residence ,, hotel , different sangkat
Do you know a hotel that would do that without problems?
So registration and proof of residence from Sangkat.
Every tip is welcome.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:54 pm No...you can only be issued a Certificate of Residence from the Sangkat where you reside and are (supposed to be) registered.

bro.s'art ...If the Sangkat are refusing to issue the Cert of Residency, that is most likely because the landlord has not registered you with the Sangkat, and is therefore not paying the applicable tax. You need to take this issue up with your landlord.
I got mine from the Sangkat where I reside, but I am not registered with any landlord or family residence. Mother-in-law took care of it without a problem, which would imply that a certain amount to grease the sangkat wheel should suffice. I think I stated elsewhere I had to get mine done twice due to a mistake on the first one; I gave my mother-in-law $50 and didn't ask for change from whatever she spent if that gives a rough idea of 'grease' required. Send a trusted local, give them the cash to get it done.
:hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:23 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:54 pm No...you can only be issued a Certificate of Residence from the Sangkat where you reside and are (supposed to be) registered.

bro.s'art ...If the Sangkat are refusing to issue the Cert of Residency, that is most likely because the landlord has not registered you with the Sangkat, and is therefore not paying the applicable tax. You need to take this issue up with your landlord.
I got mine from the Sangkat where I reside, but I am not registered with any landlord or family residence. Mother-in-law took care of it without a problem, which would imply that a certain amount to grease the sangkat wheel should suffice. I think I stated elsewhere I had to get mine done twice due to a mistake on the first one; I gave my mother-in-law $50 and didn't ask for change from whatever she spent if that gives a rough idea of 'grease' required. Send a trusted local, give them the cash to get it done.
Yuh, my landlord asked for $50 which I thought was excessive at the time and when he saw I wasn't happy he said OK $25. But now I'm thinking maybe he paid extra grease so as not to have to pay the landlord tax??

I suppose this raises a couple of other questions too:

1. If you stay at least 3 mths in a hotel/guesthouse, can they arrange/even want to organise this for you?

2. What happens or what do you have to do if there is no landlord or hotel...let's say you've got your own condo unit?
bro.s'art
Expatriate
Germany

Post by bro.s'art »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:23 pm

My landlady tried that, we offered the chick at Sangkat $100 tea money, but no way.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:45 pm
1. If you stay at least 3 mths in a hotel/guesthouse, can they arrange/even want to organise this for you?

2. What happens or what do you have to do if there is no landlord or hotel...let's say you've got your own condo unit?
1. They could if they were willing to assist you.

2. If you own a property, then it is up to you to register yourself with the Sangkat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic