New driving license procedure for foreigners

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: New driving license procedure for foreigners

Post by Clutch Cargo »

That's true but the policy with the police may well be that a foreigner must have some sort of licence regardless...whether that be A or B
Khmerican
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmerican »

epidemiks wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:02 pm A good test for this would be the next person that reads this thread and goes to get a licence tries applying for a small bike licence at the DoT. I'm confident you will find you can't, because it no longer exists.
Right, whereas there used to be an A1 and A2, there is now just an A.

As a driver of cars and a 250 moto for many years, I only had a B license and it was never an issue with the police when on my bike - they apparently did not know that B was good for A1, but not A2. As of last year, I went ahead got a 10-year for both A and B.

I wonder if the B is still good for 125 and below - I would imagine it "should" be, but of course, it's up to the copper in front of you - just demand a ticket, I guess. I have not seen the law updated since the PM declared the change, just after the new (2015) law had gone into effect.

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Another point that may have already been mentioned in this thread or another, is that travel medical insurance requires you to have an applicable licence in not only your home country BUT the country you are in. TBH I wouldn't want to be arguing the point with an insurance company that you don't need a licence <125 in Cambodia when I'm being admitted to hospital. But that's just me..
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

I’ve lost count of the number of backpackers with bandages on their arms/feet/legs. It seems the most common injury is exhaust burns which leads me to believe they’ve never ridden a motorised two wheeler in their lives!
Khmerican
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmerican »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:35 pm Another point that may have already been mentioned in this thread or another, is that travel medical insurance requires you to have an applicable licence in not only your home country BUT the country you are in. TBH I wouldn't want to be arguing the point with an insurance company that you don't need a licence <125 in Cambodia when I'm being admitted to hospital. But that's just me..
Precisely. That was my reason for going full legit - I asked my local broker and they informed me that if I were in an accident on my bike with only a B license, I would not be covered. And that's when I'm most susceptible. I've been lucky over the years that I didn't find out the hard way.
bro.s'art
Expatriate
Germany

Post by bro.s'art »

Hello,
I have to extend my driving license (was valid until 2015), I have all documents only the proof of residence (Sangkat) missing me, my Sankat (Sangkat Phsar Kandal 2) refuses to issue them, because my landlord has not reported me.

I've been living in this apartment for over five years, the police got the report and the immigration police were already with me, there were no problems with anyone and the immigration police with five people made a protocol. The proof that I have been living there for over five years is therefore available.

The "boss" (a woman) of the Sangkat Phsar Kandal 2 refuses although police and an immigration policeman were present and says I would have to wait after announcing by the landlord at the Sangkat three months, that would be law.
Also the question is really the law, I know people who move permanently (i.e. every 2-3 months), they could never get a driver's license.

Does any of you have a tip for me?

Sorry for the bad english
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

bro.s'art wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:16 pm Hello,
I have to extend my driving license (was valid until 2015), I have all documents only the proof of residence (Sangkat) missing me, my Sankat (Sangkat Phsar Kandal 2) refuses to issue them, because my landlord has not reported me.

I've been living in this apartment for over five years, the police got the report and the immigration police were already with me, there were no problems with anyone and the immigration police with five people made a protocol. The proof that I have been living there for over five years is therefore available.

The "boss" (a woman) of the Sangkat Phsar Kandal 2 refuses although police and an immigration policeman were present and says I would have to wait after announcing by the landlord at the Sangkat three months, that would be law.
Also the question is really the law, I know people who move permanently (i.e. every 2-3 months), they could never get a driver's license.

Does any of you have a tip for me?

Sorry for the bad english
Your present landlord will have to pay 10 % tax on the rent if he is in the system.
If proof of residence is all that is needed , why not move to a hotel/guesthouse for ?? days , let the hotel do the reporting ,until the problem is solved. But still keep you place you have now, just tell them you have moved .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

bro.s'art wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:16 pm The "boss" (a woman) of the Sangkat Phsar Kandal 2 refuses
I think you're referring to the one on st 144 opposite eMart. That woman is a dragon lady...rude and unhelpful. Seems to dislike barangs. That's what i found when i went with Mrs Cargo last year.

Ended up getting the landlord to organise it all albeit he overcharged me..

I wonder whether you can try at another nearby sangkat?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:44 pm

I wonder whether you can try at another nearby sangkat?
No...you can only be issued a Certificate of Residence from the Sangkat where you reside and are (supposed to be) registered.

@bro.s'art ...If the Sangkat are refusing to issue the Cert of Residency, that is most likely because the landlord has not registered you with the Sangkat, and is therefore not paying the applicable tax. You need to take this issue up with your landlord.
mike75
Tourist

Post by mike75 »

My experience from July last year: I wasn't prepared to pay the agent $85 just for one year validity so did it in PP. I first went to Aeon Mall but was turned away and advised to see Dept.of Public Works where I would be required to do the test. It took a few trips, and proof of residency was essential, but ended up with a 3 yr license, total cost about $30, including eye test. And no probs renewing when it expires.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic