Khmer-style misinterpretation

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Khmer-style misinterpretation

Post by BklynBoy »

semi-related but when asking to do something or meet somewhere or do a favor. I started adding " i will try" or " i will let you know".. to make sure there is no promise. Even still i would hear back. " why you lie to me".

I was trying to explain I am not lying.
I have to postpone x because something important came up and can do it the next day. Most situations I would give an alternative date so there would be some specificity. I would still get " you lie to me"

Another time some dude got upset because I said we would hang out but ended up we never connected. He messages me long after and says I lied to him. I told him there are 2 of us. You can of easily messaged me instead of waiting for me to message you.- This example maybe is more nuanced then the previous ones-- He probably thinks/assumes I would be treating so he didn't want to ask?
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

cptrelentless wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:22 am 15 minutes late is half an hour early in Cambodia, it would be weird to tell someone you were going to be a little late if it was less than an hour. They don't have the same concept of time. Plus turning up late makes you look important.
Lol, this reminds me of an old racist term used in America, mostly in the South.

It was called CPT, or Colored People's Time.
Colored people's time (also abbreviated to CP time or CPT) is an American expression referring to a negative stereotype of African Americans as frequently being late.

The expression is often described as a derogatory racist stereotype. It is considered derogatory because it implies that African Americans have a relaxed or indifferent view of work ethic, which leads to them being labeled as lazy or unreliable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_people%27s_time

I guess we could change it to Cambodian People's Time. :D
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Because we have an international audience, I will explain the meaning of colored people, as it has a different meaning in different parts of the world.

In Africa they have black people, white people and colored people. What Africans call colored people are what we call mixed race.

For the Africans reading this, in many other countries, they have white people and colored people. Colored people include black people and mixed race.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Interesting explorer - also Chris Rock had a good take on the further differentiation of coloured people.

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Spigzy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:52 am Interesting explorer - also Chris Rock had a good take on the further differentiation of coloured people.

I love Chris Rock!!... .Forget the dude's name but someone on here was saying he is racist or always uses race card etc.. bullshit... but to each his own.. I find him funny.. I remember this skit
this goes with the other skit.. 2 malls.. one white people go to and one they used to go too..lol
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic