the staring and the spying

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: the staring and the spying

Post by RickyBobby »

I was very aware of this at first, it seems like the national pasttime/hobby in Cambodia. It made me quite uncomfortable at first. Now I am just oblivious to it. It just takes time to get used to it. What bothered me more that I am now mostly oblivious to also is the stares from (mostly female) middle aged judgy tourists who watched me with my lady. Again a lot of it might have just been in my own head, but I felt like they were judging me, as some kind of pervert, and thinking she was a sex worker or something like that which most especially made me feel bad for her. (I would just stare them down, and a few times I actually engaged them with reasonable good results and pleasant conversation which I hope resulted in a fairly decent re-education for them.)

The most miserable men here are the ones who bring their wives. haha
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

it is just intense curiosity, there is no ill intent per se.
strangers call my girlfriend miss fatty and pinch her arm, ask her what she eats.
all with a smile, in fact they want to be like her.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I will explain the reason they do it. See if somebody disagrees.

In Western culture, we tell people if they do something we dont like. So they know we dont like it, and normally stop doing it.

In Cambodian culture, people are nice to everyone. If someone does something they dont like, they normally dont say anything, but just act happy. So people often dont know they dont like it, and continue doing it.

You may also describe it as putting themselves first, and not caring about others.

As a result, there are many things which Cambodians do, which most westerners would not do. For example, throwing trash everywhere, cutting in front of others in traffic, and playing loud music when the neighbors are trying to sleep.

A girl I know had $20 stolen from her handbag while she was at work. She knew it was one of her workmates, as they were they only ones who had access to her bag. She didnt know which one. She came home early from work, and was quite upset. I said, why dont you say something. She said she was not going to say anything because she didnt want to be seen as a troublemaker. If they dont like something, they just put in a fake happy act.

There is also a reason for this. Historically, if someone upset the wrong person, they could be killed. So it was important for everyone to like them.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

frank lee bent wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:23 am it is just intense curiosity, there is no ill intent per se.
strangers call my girlfriend miss fatty and pinch her arm, ask her what she eats.
all with a smile, in fact they want to be like her.
Girls keep telling me they want to be fat.

I keep telling them, thin is beautiful.

Historically, many people have not had enough to eat. Even now, some of the poor eat less than they would like to. So they think it is good to be fat.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by nightmare.believer »

Probably just curious about you. If you smile, they'll smile back. Then it'd be kind if awkward if they continued staring. Try winking at them, Male or female. Alternately, look back at them, then check your zipper, adjust it, then look back at then with an irritated look.
But if you are a mark getting sized up, it's best to stare right back, and keep notice of that person. If you are going to be a victim in Cambodia, nearly all of the time you will not have seen the perpetrator before the crime goes down.
SaigonBilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by SaigonBilly »

staring: wondering if you're a friend.

spying: making sure you remain one. :popcorn:
It's all good or or it's no good!
:D :evil6:
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

nightmare.believer wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:35 am Probably just curious about you. If you smile, they'll smile back.
This was some of the earliest and best advice I got about it. Its true.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

my girl is fat from cortico steroids as she nearly died from asthma many times.
she is on track for normalcy now

My gf was collecting cans with her 9 siblings age 4 at 4 AM to eat.

the family lived in a bed with a blue tarp over it for some years
they have a real house now behind the former small market in SV.
Angkar survivors

i will try to move them to mondulkiri to escape the invasion of china
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

RickyBobby wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:04 am I was very aware of this at first, it seems like the national pasttime/hobby in Cambodia. It made me quite uncomfortable at first. Now I am just oblivious to it. It just takes time to get used to it. What bothered me more that I am now mostly oblivious to also is the stares from (mostly female) middle aged judgy tourists who watched me with my lady. Again a lot of it might have just been in my own head, but I felt like they were judging me, as some kind of pervert, and thinking she was a sex worker or something like that which most especially made me feel bad for her.
I guess it depends too where you hang around. In Daun Penh, I rarely get stared at by khmers either by myself or with Mrs Cargo. They are just used to the many foreigners around and barangs with younger girls. OTOH I've noticed a few foreigners have a quick glimpse at us..maybe there's a hint of jealousy from guys with their older, overweight wives. The wives think it's either cool or disapprove.

I notice some khmer girls look at Mrs Cargo but I think it's more to do with the clothes she's wearing etc although I wonder whether they are just sizing her up and wondering whether she's a bar girl or not.

The other thing I noticed is that when we go out to Aeon 2 we get a lot more looks than when we go to Aeon 1. Again, I think its due to the different demographic in the 2 different areas.

Other than that Ricky...maybe you have a distinctive look haha :beer3:
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:19 am
RickyBobby wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:04 am I was very aware of this at first, it seems like the national pasttime/hobby in Cambodia. It made me quite uncomfortable at first. Now I am just oblivious to it. It just takes time to get used to it. What bothered me more that I am now mostly oblivious to also is the stares from (mostly female) middle aged judgy tourists who watched me with my lady. Again a lot of it might have just been in my own head, but I felt like they were judging me, as some kind of pervert, and thinking she was a sex worker or something like that which most especially made me feel bad for her.
I guess it depends too where you hang around. In Daun Penh, I rarely get stared at by khmers either by myself or with Mrs Cargo. They are just used to the many foreigners around and barangs with younger girls. OTOH I've noticed a few foreigners have a quick glimpse at us..maybe there's a hint of jealousy from guys with their older, overweight wives. The wives think it's either cool or disapprove.

I notice some khmer girls look at Mrs Cargo but I think it's more to do with the clothes she's wearing etc although I wonder whether they are just sizing her up and wondering whether she's a bar girl or not.

The other thing I noticed is that when we go out to Aeon 2 we get a lot more looks than when we go to Aeon 1. Again, I think its due to the different demographic in the 2 different areas.

Other than that Ricky...maybe you have a distinctive look haha :beer3:
There is that, but when I was uncomfortable with PDA's i.e. hand holding etc; she said to me once "I don't think you're comfortable with me" and I had to explain I wasn't comfortable with the stares. Meanwhile she was so proud of me. Anyhow, she explained to me that she also gets stared at, and also even when shes alone, which makes sense I guess being a pretty young woman. So she wasn't more aware of attention being different with or without me.

I might look more extinct than distinct, haha.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic