Cambodia is the Cheapest place to retire...

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodia is the Cheapest place to retire...

Post by pczz »

Big'n wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:26 pm
pczz wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:28 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:52 pm
pczz wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:01 pm
Joker Poker wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:51 am

Strongly disagree - Best coffee I've had in PP at Eric Keyser, flat white, hard to stop at one.

Brown also make an acceptable flat white too.

Edit:
Yes, there are lots of places purveying crap coffee, like Metro.
Qualifier - I do not expect to pay $3.50 for a coffee in cambodia. In europs a decent coffee is usually under $3 unless you go to a posh restaurant in capital cities or tourist clip joints, and wages there are 3 times higher than in cambodia
But rents in Phnom Penh are above London level in some parts, and that's before Brexit level.
brexit has hammered the uk property market. Shop houses in many tourist areas of PP are only around $1000-$2000 depending on your race.
$1000-$2000 per month?

Unless you're living like a king, you're paying way too much!

$500-$1000 will get you a serviced apt with a gym and a pool.
Not talking about apartments. talking about shops. I know akhmer has a shop on riverside $600 a month. One just off at $800, barang next ddor pays $1200
I live in an apartment with elevator $270 a month. I have tried places with pools and gyms but they are usually noisy. i prefer the quiet life with lazy old gits who are in bed at 9 :-)
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

Okay, if you're trying to make a business I guess. But it brings to mind the old saying, if you want to make a small fortune in Cambodia, start with a large fortune.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

pczz wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 am
Good coffe and cambodia are like oil and water sadly. I have yet to find a decent coffee here and for the record satrbucks and amazon etc are nowhere near as good as they should be for the ridiculous price they charge
Strongly disagree - Best coffee I've had in PP at Eric Keyser, flat white, hard to stop at one.

Edit:
Qualifier - I do not expect to pay $3.50 for a coffee in cambodia. In europs a decent coffee is usually under $3 unless you go to a posh restaurant in capital cities or tourist clip joints, and wages there are 3 times higher than in cambodia
But rents in Phnom Penh are above London level in some parts, and that's before Brexit level.
brexit has hammered the uk property market. Shop houses in many tourist areas of PP are only around $1000-$2000 depending on your race.
Yes, but I know several business either quitting or relocating when their contract was due and the owner thought doubling or tripling the rent was good idea. Think Equinoxe, Walkabout, The bakery on street 7 (is it 7?), T&C on 214, T&C on 130, .....
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:51 pm

Edit:
Yes, but I know several business either quitting or relocating when their contract was due and the owner thought doubling or tripling the rent was good idea. Think Equinoxe, Walkabout, The bakery on street 7 (is it 7?), T&C on 214, T&C on 130, .....
that was a while ago. So many long term expats were driven out by the new rules on long stay visas its hard for many businesses relying on barang customers to survive and rent seem to be coming down. Look at st 51. Sorya mall rents were $2500 a month after the refurb and no takers. Well under half that now and its starting to get businesses. It may change agian when the Chinese get started up by the nigh market
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic