Do you ride scooter/motorbike in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Do you ride scooter/motorbike in Phnom Penh?

Post by Kammekor »

beaker wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:03 pm
andy_morris wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:04 pm
beaker wrote:My E-bike works out very well here it is a little more flexible as to where I can ride as opposed to my scooter. It does 50km/h and will out accelerate the typical small bike and has a range of 30km and no sweat, gasoline, license, or registration involved. Just throw on the saddlebags for trips to the store

I wouldn't fancy doing 50km/hr on a bike like that!
no one asked you to
Hmmm.. I wouldn't feel too safe to do 50 km/hr on that one too. It's so flimsy compared to a motorcycle. No protection for your legs, and if you turn over it's into pieces so it seems. Is it carbon or aluminum?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

beaker wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:03 pm I'd like to upgrade
....but I would have to sell this one first and that is not viable here no one wants to pay a fair price
You could advertise it and see what happens.

You could probably sell yours cheaper than someone could buy a new one.

But they think of it as second hand now, so would want it cheaper.

Would you get any real benefit in upgrading?

Fat bikes are ideal in sand and mud. But do you ride in sand and mud?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

I rode 10 years without issues in central Java, which is quite crowed.
Then i rode 3 years in S.R & PP, on the same Honda Vario / Honda Click scooter.

Never saw such an amount of stupid / unsafe behaviour elsewhere, really. I've been pushed down by two guys riding a scooter too, without theft attempt (more like they wanted to push specifically me down,
although i never knew why), close to the turnaround on National 4 / after airport)...
3 months after, a car pushed me and another scooter down at the exact same location, got bumped from behind....
Both issues with scratches and a bit of broken plastics as a result.
That's when i began to think it was a bit much for a 45 year old who just want commute to work, 35 km daily go & back.
It has weighted in my decision of living elsewhere. Leaving Cambodia ? Safer driving elsewhere.

Now 46, passing my car license. Back to drive big bikes for now, in the freezing wind of february, but without the stress of eating asphalt because of a fucktard.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:47 pm
beaker wrote:My E-bike works out very well here it is a little more flexible as to where I can ride as opposed to my scooter. It does 50km/h and will out accelerate the typical small bike and has a range of 30km and no sweat, gasoline, license, or registration involved. Just throw on the saddlebags for trips to the store

no one asked you to
Hmmm.. I wouldn't feel too safe to do 50 km/hr on that one too. It's so flimsy compared to a motorcycle. No protection for your legs, and if you turn over it's into pieces so it seems. Is it carbon or aluminum?
It is aluminum. Mountain bikes reach that speed and faster going downhill on much rough terrain, that is what they are designed for and a normal rider can reach 40 km/h. just by pedalling on a flat.
Your fooling yourself if you think a motorcycle is going to protect you legs in a collision or crash unless you ride with thick leathers and thigh high proper riding boots even then injuries happen.

"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

beaker wrote:

no one asked you to
It is aluminum. Mountain bikes reach that speed and faster going downhill on much rough terrain, that is what they are designed for and a normal rider can reach 40 km/h. just by pedalling on a flat.
Your fooling yourself if you think a motorcycle is going to protect you legs in a collision or crash unless you ride with thick leathers and thigh high proper riding boots even then injuries happen.

Good mountain bikes will reach that speed and be comfortable and safe. No disrespect but that bike looks pretty poor quality to be doing 50km/hr anywhere, nevermind in Cambodia.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Kinetic wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:37 pm Hi guys!
In Siem Reap I was like "Hehe, it's easy to ride". In Sihanoukvile " I'm the king on the road!!" with my 50cc scooter... But in Phnom Penh it's another story. I was afraid to rent a scooter because the traffic is dense and anarchic. I took the tuktuk for the whole week and 2 times I saw a car hitting a scooter.

Do you ride in Phnom Penh? And in both case, why?

I ride in pp and you must be insane. Snooky and Siem are way more dangerous. Chock full of chinese drunks in rented cars. I actually think car driving in PP has improved, bike driving has got worse. You do have to concentrate but I have not had a prang in 5 years. Probabakly shouldnt have said that ......
Kampoochie
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampoochie »

I found Sihanoukville to be a more stressful place to ride a scooter than in PP. That's not to say PP isn't stressful. After seeing and hearing about so many accidents, I definitely decided to leave it to PassApp whenever possible.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

andy_morris wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:27 pm
beaker wrote:
andy_morris wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:04 pm I wouldn't fancy doing 50km/hr on a bike like that!
no one asked you to

Good mountain bikes will reach that speed and be comfortable and safe. No disrespect but that bike looks pretty poor quality to be doing 50km/hr anywhere, nevermind in Cambodia.
That's only because you don't know what you are talking about these bikes, though inexpensive, have been proven over many years, since 1979, and on many different terrains all over the world. I have been using it for about 5 months and much of that time was 2 up so I'm not worried about it. The proof is in the pudding.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic