yabbies?

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
FinnTeara
Tourist
United States of America

Re: yabbies?

Post by FinnTeara »

They are called Australian Red Claw Crayfish. In Australian Patois it Yabbies. If you call them crawdads This is American Patois, and does not take into account that they grow to the size of lobsters. It is like saying a canary is like a turkey.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

FinnTeara wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:33 pm They are called Australian Red Claw Crayfish. In Australian Patois it Yabbies. If you call them crawdads This is American Patois, and does not take into account that they grow to the size of lobsters. It is like saying a canary is like a turkey.

At one place I worked at way back in the NT, the Blackfellas were colloquially known as yabbies, because they were black and lived in the creek.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

FinnTeara wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:33 pm In Australian Patois it Yabbies.
Sure, and I'm glad Australians seem to be the only people who insist on using their patois while abroad.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Sorry to disappoint but if you go out in the coutryside you will find a lot of very big ponds for irrigation on farms. they grow them and fish in there
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: yabbies? Crayfish !

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Takeo Crayfish–the Best Freshwater Crayfish in the Country
By Tonghai
Editor
24 Aug 2023
The easternmost part of the Cambodian province of Takeo is home to a species of Australian red-claw crayfish (Cherax quadricarinatus) known as the Takeo Crayfish.

It is regarded as a delicacy in Cambodia since it is typically larger than other varieties of crayfish, with an average length of 10-12 centimetres. It has a bright red colour, with black claws and pincers. The flesh of the crayfish is white and has a sweet, delicate flavour.

Costing nearly $50 per kg, Takeo Crayfish is considered as one of the most expensive food, native to Cambodia. As crayfish is becoming increasingly popular in the country, the unique taste of this freshwater crustacean plays an important role in attracting tourists both local and foreign. It tastes sweet and nutty. In comparison to other varieties, the crayfish are said to be less fat and more sensitive.

In Cambodia, crayfish are considered to be a common delicacy that are frequently served boiled, grilled, or steamed and served with a dipping sauce. It can also be used in soups, stir-fries, and salads.

The crayfish are exclusively found in the wild in eastern Takeo’s Angkor Borei and Borei Cholsar districts. But this lobster-like crustacean is now also raised in ponds and other aquaculture facilities, in the rivers and streams of the province. The best time for harvesting is from August to January, which is most of the rainy season. The abundance of freshwater crayfish also depends on the flood levels. If there is a big flood, there will be a lot of crayfish, but if there is no flood, there is not much crayfish either.
https://www.prestigeonline.com/kh/lifes ... e-country/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:53 pm
Sure, and I'm glad Australians seem to be the only people who insist on using their patois while abroad.
But then why use our word "patois" which is an old French word for dialect (including a depreciative connotation such as "not so worthy yet to be called a "language"), instead of a local language equivalent of it ?

Just like the use of "parley" for a discussion / negociation between English speakers, it looks a bit funny from here (and i have no idea where that "y" is coming from, not us anyway).

I mean, please go for it, but often a foreign word is adopted by another language because it was the first word invented for a concept (like cooking something "au bain-Marie" for example), but for something as old and central as communication is, i thought English had a preference for "dialect" or "slang" or some other true English word....

No worries, we do borrow a lot from English too, and i'm sure it's a bit weird for you guys when you hear them with our thick froggish accent while we talk between us ^^
It's often more recent words though, technical ones (parking, fioul (fuel !), management, wc, jet-lag etc etc...)...

Aaah, languages...we sure do like them
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Ghostwriter wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:05 am
But then why use our word "patois" which is an old French word for dialect (including a depreciative connotation such as "not so worthy yet to be called a "language"), instead of a local language equivalent of it ?

Just like the use of "parley" for a discussion / negociation between English speakers, it looks a bit funny from here (and i have no idea where that "y" is coming from, not us anyway).

I mean, please go for it, but often a foreign word is adopted by another language because it was the first word invented for a concept (like cooking something "au bain-Marie" for example), but for something as old and central as communication is, i thought English had a preference for "dialect" or "slang" or some other true English word....

No worries, we do borrow a lot from English too, and i'm sure it's a bit weird for you guys when you hear them with our thick froggish accent while we talk between us ^^
It's often more recent words though, technical ones (parking, fioul (fuel !), management, wc, jet-lag etc etc...)...

Aaah, languages...we sure do like them
Nah! You're wrong.
The word "patois" was first coined by the legendary Australian bushranger Pierre Kelly way back when Noah was just a lad.

Have you not heard Aussies saying "Ozzy, Ozzy, Ozzy, Oi, Oi, Oi." << we can thank Pierre Kelly for that one as well!
The frogs loved it, so they adopted it. So sad that they had to mess up the pronunciation of 'Oi'.

:hattip:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ghostwriter wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:05 am
You need to ask FinnTeara about that.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Are they the same as Langoustine ?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:08 am Are they the same as Langoustine ?
No. Langoustine live in saltwater. Yabbies are fresh water creatures.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic