Cambodia is the Cheapest place to retire...

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodia is the Cheapest place to retire...

Post by Big'n »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:52 pm
pczz wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:01 pm
Joker Poker wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:51 am
pczz wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 am
Good coffe and cambodia are like oil and water sadly. I have yet to find a decent coffee here and for the record satrbucks and amazon etc are nowhere near as good as they should be for the ridiculous price they charge
Strongly disagree - Best coffee I've had in PP at Eric Keyser, flat white, hard to stop at one.

Brown also make an acceptable flat white too.

Edit:
Yes, there are lots of places purveying crap coffee, like Metro.
Qualifier - I do not expect to pay $3.50 for a coffee in cambodia. In europs a decent coffee is usually under $3 unless you go to a posh restaurant in capital cities or tourist clip joints, and wages there are 3 times higher than in cambodia
But rents in Phnom Penh are above London level in some parts, and that's before Brexit level.
Not to mention that the kilowatt per hour is among the highest rates in the world.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Big'n wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:12 pm
Good coffe and cambodia are like oil and water sadly. I have yet to find a decent coffee here and for the record satrbucks and amazon etc are nowhere near as good as they should be for the ridiculous price they charge
Strongly disagree - Best coffee I've had in PP at Eric Keyser, flat white, hard to stop at one.

Edit:
Qualifier - I do not expect to pay $3.50 for a coffee in cambodia. In europs a decent coffee is usually under $3 unless you go to a posh restaurant in capital cities or tourist clip joints, and wages there are 3 times higher than in cambodia
But rents in Phnom Penh are above London level in some parts, and that's before Brexit level.
Not to mention that the kilowatt per hour is among the highest rates in the world.

to mention that the kilowatt per hour is among the highest rates in the world.

Australia only has a low rate because it adds on a line maintaince charge and a service fee on top of your electric bill

[/
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Duncan wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:29 am
Big'n wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:12 pm

Edit:

to mention that the kilowatt per hour is among the highest rates in the world.

Australia only has a low rate because it adds on a line maintaince charge and a service fee on top of your electric bill

Well, at least the seem to maintain the line in Australia..... Just wait what will happen to the high voltage lines connecting Laos to Phnom Penh in let's say 10-15 years when it turns out the money reserved for maintenance was spend on eh.... Cars, gambling, girls and beers. The four things spicing up Cambodian life. :stir:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Joker Poker wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:33 pm

Edit:
Last time I was in PP, March last year, it was $2.50 for a flat white at Eric Keyser. Brown used to be $2.10 last I went there.

If prices are dearer than that then inflation is out of control. To be fair, you could pay the same amount for that bloody awful Boncafe stuff all over town. I found EK to be the best by a country mile, and have no problem paying $2.50.
at a Cafe in England you would pay between $1-2 for a cup of coffee
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:11 pm
Joker Poker wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:33 pm

Edit:
Last time I was in PP, March last year, it was $2.50 for a flat white at Eric Keyser. Brown used to be $2.10 last I went there.

If prices are dearer than that then inflation is out of control. To be fair, you could pay the same amount for that bloody awful Boncafe stuff all over town. I found EK to be the best by a country mile, and have no problem paying $2.50.
Yep, and here in stralia between $4-5AU. Part of the reason that I like having coffee in PP - so much cheaper than home.

Here I use my espresso machine - can't afford to drink coffee out.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Maybe at a greasy spoon in the north of England for a cup of Nescafe, a coffee at a modern cafe in London will cost far more.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:28 pm
Maybe at a greasy spoon in the north of England for a cup of Nescafe, a coffee at a modern cafe in London will cost far more.
just quoting what i pay, i dont go to posh fancy modern cafes in London, and modern cafes in London dont represent the whole of England

but going on 'highstreet' coffees...
Cambodia - Browns Coffee - Americano Regular = $2.20 - https://www.browncoffee.com.kh/page/Men ... 0845902518
England - Starbucks Coffee - Americano Regular = £1.95 ($2.49) - https://uk.menuwithprice.com/starbucks-menu/

Cambodia is only 20 pence cheaper lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:13 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:28 pm
just quoting what i pay, i dont go to posh fancy modern cafes in London, and modern cafes in London dont represent the whole of England

but going on 'highstreet' coffees...
Cambodia - Browns Coffee - Americano Regular = $2.20 - https://www.browncoffee.com.kh/page/Men ... 0845902518
England - Starbucks Coffee - Americano Regular = £1.95 ($2.49) - https://uk.menuwithprice.com/starbucks-menu/

Cambodia is only 20 pence cheaper lol
In the 'Low Lands' of Europe I pay EUR 2-3,50 for a cup of coffee. All staff have minimum wages, medical insurance, etc etc yet I pay nearly the same as in F*cking Phnom Penh where staff are on a 200$ / month slavery contract. Just imagine the profits in the KOW.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Edit:
brexit has hammered the uk property market. Shop houses in many tourist areas of PP are only around $1000-$2000 depending on your race.
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

pczz wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:28 pm

Edit:
brexit has hammered the uk property market. Shop houses in many tourist areas of PP are only around $1000-$2000 depending on your race.
$1000-$2000 per month?

Unless you're living like a king, you're paying way too much!

$500-$1000 will get you a serviced apt with a gym and a pool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic