Do you ride scooter/motorbike in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Do you ride scooter/motorbike in Phnom Penh?

Post by explorer »

beaker wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:06 am The bike has 5 levels of pedal assist if you want to pedal (increases range) as well as a throttle if you don't (does 50km/h throttle only) or you can use a combination of the 2 (which is handy take off from light faster than the dream machines)
As for battery, generally speaking, higher voltage gives more speed higher amperage give more range but they are the most expensive part.
Thailand has some great ebikes being made as well as kits and the prices are very competitive and could save on shipping by traveling by bus with your bike. They are on facebook search ebikes thailand. I like their fat bike it is 2 wheel drive here's a pic
That looks nice. However, it would probably cost double or triple what yours cost, which would be a concern if it got stolen. I would like front suspension. The seat post starts too low for a tall, fat challenged rider. If I put the seat up at the height I would like it, it would probably bend when I hit a bump. I may consider something similar but different.

As I mentioned, at this stage I need exercise to compensate for being fat challenged. So it will probably be a number of years before I buy one.

I am also not concerned about riding through mud and water, which would change if I bought an electric bike. I have ridden through water half a meter deep to get to some places when it was flooded. Other people went to the same places by boat. It is interesting to see many parts of Cambodia, including the flooded areas.

Are you likely to upgrade.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

I rarely do because I am never in the capital long enough. I did rent one day though, a trail bike, and we went out of town to a Zoo. It was fun.

When I first came here I thought it would be impossible for me to drive here. We took a trip to SNV and I rented a bike and got my first taste of it. After that it was all over SR, and then everywhere else. If you can do that, you can ride in PP too. Recently I rented in Ratanakiri, but the traffic is pretty light there too so easy peasy.

Also, it sure helps if you already were an experienced Motorcycle rider like I was.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

explorer wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:29 am
beaker wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:06 am The bike has 5 levels of pedal assist if you want to pedal (increases range) as well as a throttle if you don't (does 50km/h throttle only) or you can use a combination of the 2 (which is handy take off from light faster than the dream machines)
As for battery, generally speaking, higher voltage gives more speed higher amperage give more range but they are the most expensive part.
Thailand has some great ebikes being made as well as kits and the prices are very competitive and could save on shipping by traveling by bus with your bike. They are on facebook search ebikes thailand. I like their fat bike it is 2 wheel drive here's a pic
That looks nice. However, it would probably cost double or triple what yours cost, which would be a concern if it got stolen. I would like front suspension. The seat post starts too low for a tall, fat challenged rider. If I put the seat up at the height I would like it, it would probably bend when I hit a bump. I may consider something similar but different.

As I mentioned, at this stage I need exercise to compensate for being fat challenged. So it will probably be a number of years before I buy one.

I am also not concerned about riding through mud and water, which would change if I bought an electric bike. I have ridden through water half a meter deep to get to some places when it was flooded. Other people went to the same places by boat. It is interesting to see many parts of Cambodia, including the flooded areas.

of coarse the seat goes up and down just like a normal bike and seat post isn't going to bend unless your over 300# with the fat tire bike tires suspension is not as needed. The motors can be weatherproofed but not a good idea to ride bike through 1/2 meter of water even a regular bike not good for bottom bracket, derailleur of wheel bearings. Price wise I think they would be in the $1500-$2000 range but easy to just ask them.
I'd like to upgrade but I would have to sell this one first and that is not viable here no one wants to pay a fair price I'v been trying to sell my maxi-scooter for 6 months that I have ~$3500. for $1000. and no one has even come out to look at it
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

beaker wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:51 pm
explorer wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:29 am

of coarse the seat goes up and down just like a normal bike and seat post isn't going to bend unless your over 300# with the fat tire bike tires suspension is not as needed. The motors can be weatherproofed but not a good idea to ride bike through 1/2 meter of water even a regular bike not good for bottom bracket, derailleur of wheel bearings.

Price wise I think they would be in the $1500-$2000 range but easy to just ask them.

I'd like to upgrade to like a custom built fat tire cargo bike.....
or a fat tire trike ....
....but I would have to sell this one first and that is not viable here no one wants to pay a fair price I'v been trying to sell my maxi-scooter for 6 months that I have ~$3500. into (rebuilt top end,rings, valves, head, cam timing chain, and carb + and replaced electronics with OEM parts ) for $1000. and no one has even come out to look at it
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

I have learned driving a motorbike (150cc) right here in PP.

Now they have to surgically remove my ass from the saddle.
pebbles&nightsky
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

beaker wrote:My E-bike works out very well here it is a little more flexible as to where I can ride as opposed to my scooter. It does 50km/h and will out accelerate the typical small bike and has a range of 30km and no sweat, gasoline, license, or registration involved. Just throw on the saddlebags for trips to the store

I wouldn't fancy doing 50km/hr on a bike like that!
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

andy_morris wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:04 pm
beaker wrote:My E-bike works out very well here it is a little more flexible as to where I can ride as opposed to my scooter. It does 50km/h and will out accelerate the typical small bike and has a range of 30km and no sweat, gasoline, license, or registration involved. Just throw on the saddlebags for trips to the store

I wouldn't fancy doing 50km/hr on a bike like that!
no one asked you to
jimi hendrix
mike75
Tourist

Post by mike75 »

Kuroneko wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:07 pm
mike75 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:54 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:58 am Been riding various vehicles in Phnom Penh for over 20 years including motos. 5 years ago I moved over to Chroy Changvar and bought a new Yamaha Jupiter
Interesting, I thought Yamaha pulled out of Cambodia years ago. No?
No ---- here's the main dealers: http://yamaha-motor.com.kh/en/destribut ... ?menu1=654
FB Page https://web.facebook.com/pg/YamahaKongNuonGroup/about/

Kong Nuon Group Co.,Ltd (Head Office) Baktok, # 35 DEF, Street Tchecoslovaquie(169) Sangkat Veal Vong, Khan Makara, Phnom Penh. Tel: 023 88 55 15-16

General Information
Assembling, manufacturing, marketing, distributing, selling and/or servicing Yamaha brand motorcycles and their parts and accessories in the Kingdom of Cambodia.

Note Yamaha Town Bak Tuk is closed for renovation/upgrade reopens in March ( I think)
Ah, ok, thanks for that. I was thinking of Sihanoukville. I heard there was a dealer there some years ago. Nice bike, that Jupiter.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

beaker wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:51 pm of coarse the seat goes up and down just like a normal bike and seat post isn't going to bend unless your over 300# with the fat tire bike tires suspension is not as needed.
With a seat post starting that low, I would put it up over 300 mm. Being tall and fat challenged, I am over 120 kg. Looking at the height of the seat on your bike, it appears that you are fairly tall yourself.

I still like front suspension. Partly for the bumps, and partly because it results in the handlebars being higher.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

beaker wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:03 pm I'd like to upgrade to like a custom built fat tire cargo bike.....
or a fat tire trike ....
I would not get a cargo bike or a trike. With a regular bicycle, you can often get through traffic jams. With a larger bike, you may have to wait like everybody else.

When you pedal, I think that trike only drives from one back wheel, which is not ideal.

I saw a trike like that in Australia. He paid AU$3000.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic