Salary expectation for a teacher outside of Phnon Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Salary expectation for a teacher outside of Phnon Penh

Post by xandreu »

I have a couple of years teaching experience in Phnom Penh but I'm looking to relocate to one of the smaller towns.

I've kind of been offered a job but they want to know my salary expectation and I'm not sure what to say to be honest. I know that I shouldn't expect the same kind of salary I get in PP, but how much lower are teachers paid in the smaller towns? (I don't really want to say where exactly as I want to remain reasonably anonymous, but it's not Siem Reap).

What would a realistic salary expectation be for a full time teaching position for a teacher with 2 years experience in a smaller provincial town?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Re: Salary expectation for a teacher outside of Phnon Penh

Post by lostjeremy »

Depends what kind of school. Is it a proper international school or just an abc123 herd em in and herd em out school?

When I see posts about teachers on this forum or on Youtube it looks like most posters lump teachers into this backpacker $1000 a month group and don't know true salaries even in Phnom Penh.

A degree and credintaled teacher should be working for no less than $3000 a month and with experience and licensed in the right subjects $4-$5,000 a month is easy to get at a proper, accredited school (or a newer school looking to become accredited).

Anyway I got off topic but....
I don't know you or your background.
Yes you'll make less outside the big cities but don't sell yourself short. If you have an exceptional resume then accept no less than what you feel your time is worth. If your doing this for charity or an NGO school then I'm assuming you wouldn't be asking this question. If you only have a GED and your only experience is wrapping up burritos at Taco Bell then you may just make enough to eat rice and drink second hand water.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

I lived in a small rural town for about a year and an "international" school opened. The students were charged $250 per year (actually about 10 months if I recall) for the first 30 that enrolled and supposedly $300 for all others. One of the teachers had said to me that he was getting paid $400/month plus his transportation from his home country - with the "promise" of his 2nd year being in PP and making $600-$700/month.

The school was run by a company out of PP. There were 2 classes in the morning and afternoon (divided by English ability) and one class late afternoon til early evening (believe 5-8). There were two teachers with one teacher only teaching two classes and the other teaching three. My memory is that there were between 15-20 students in the main classes and 8-12 in the smaller/beginner classes during the day and 15 students in the evening. 2nd year enrollment dropped by about 1/3 and the school closed during that 2nd year.

There was nothing fancy in this school - two rooms and a small "office".

They started the school with two foreigners. Neither made it beyond 6 weeks. First guy quit after a month and 2nd quit soon after (there was literally nothing to do in this town other than go for a walk - no grocery store - no convenience store - no gas station - just the local market from 6am to about 11:30am, didn't buy your food for the day and your basically SOL). They ended up having two Khmer teachers from a nearby city do the teaching - one of the teachers was ok, the other terrible and the school closed during the 2nd year when the decent teacher quit.

Hope that helps
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

lostjeremy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:26 pm Depends what kind of school. Is it a proper international school or just an abc123 herd em in and herd em out school?

When I see posts about teachers on this forum or on Youtube it looks like most posters lump teachers into this backpacker $1000 a month group and don't know true salaries even in Phnom Penh.

A degree and credintaled teacher should be working for no less than $3000 a month and with experience and licensed in the right subjects $4-$5,000 a month is easy to get at a proper, accredited school (or a newer school looking to become accredited).

Anyway I got off topic but....
I don't know you or your background.
Yes you'll make less outside the big cities but don't sell yourself short. If you have an exceptional resume then accept no less than what you feel your time is worth. If your doing this for charity or an NGO school then I'm assuming you wouldn't be asking this question. If you only have a GED and your only experience is wrapping up burritos at Taco Bell then you may just make enough to eat rice and drink second hand water.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk
What is second hand water?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic