Maid Questions

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Maid Questions

Post by RickyBobby »

A few weeks ago, my GF got her sister a side job working as a breakfast cook for 3 hours a day and $100/mo. She already works a full time cook job. The guy said he wanted someone fluent in English at first so they can single handedly run the morning kitchen duties; breakfast a-la-carte and take orders and cook. My GF asked me rhetorically 'who's gonna do that job if they are already fluent in English?" which made a fair point.

Anyhow, this sister is a mean cook and can cook western, and is also domestic. She's very quiet and shy otherwise. She's the kind of person I would employ at my house to do my cooking and cleaning because she is also a bit of a tomboy and could also even probably do some things like washing the moto or even something mechanical or a bit of heavy lifting.

In her other job, she probably gets $200/mo. Domestics make less because they cannot do other jobs because of English language abilities. Another sister I sent to a job interview a few years ago was going to start at the bottom as a guest house housekeeper. After the interview, the owner told me her English is too good for her to waste her time there and she gave her reception right away. That job still was not $200/mo.

All that to say, you could get a really good assistant housekeeper/cook for $200/mo.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:28 pm Ken and I sent her daughter to a host of various schools, and she lived with us too. You all know the woman who got savagely beaten by the Lok Thom in P Penh? The one who fled and then came back to face the music? All over the news?

That's the girl that we raised. She lived with us for eight years, and was a delightful girl. Her English isn't perfect, and I know there have been some gaffes with her car, etc. but we still communicate frequently
Wow, was it SaSa / Socheata from this news event?

ImageImage
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Brody wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:58 am
Cinnamoncat wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:28 pm Ken and I sent her daughter to a host of various schools, and she lived with us too. You all know the woman who got savagely beaten by the Lok Thom in P Penh? The one who fled and then came back to face the music? All over the news?

That's the girl that we raised. She lived with us for eight years, and was a delightful girl. Her English isn't perfect, and I know there have been some gaffes with her car, etc. but we still communicate frequently
Wow, was it SaSa / Socheata from this news event?

ImageImage
Yes. It is. Her formal name is Ek Socheata.

Her "home" name--Srey Mum. I know some spell it Srey Mom, but we always spelled it the way I did.

Brothers Vannak, Poleak are sweet men, but we didn't raise them. Just Srey Mom. She is as smart as a whip. Occasionally makes missteps ("I'm a star!"), but she's older and more mature now. She's a sweetheart, and calls me Mom. I was Ma Ti Pi, and always will be.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:11 am She's a sweetheart, and calls me Mom. I was Ma Ti Pi, and always will be.
Wow, that's interesting. She's definitely a stand-up girl. I think she was defending another woman, who was too inebriated to ward off the guys unwanted advances.

I think the guy was an Oknya.

Did she get any kind of reparations from the incident? Is she still in the industry doing MC'ing / hosting / TV /movie stuff or whatever it was she was doing?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

You can read all about it in the book :stir:
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Brody wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:23 am
Cinnamoncat wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:11 am She's a sweetheart, and calls me Mom. I was Ma Ti Pi, and always will be.
Wow, that's interesting. She's definitely a stand-up girl. I think she was defending another woman, who was too inebriated to ward off the guys unwanted advances.

I think the guy was an Oknya.

Did she get any kind of reparations from the incident? Is she still in the industry doing MC'ing / hosting / TV /movie stuff or whatever it was she was doing?
She's got a couple businesses now, a clothing shop and also a restaurant. She takes care of a very large family--brothers and mom and cousins, etc. She never married, but is stunningly beautiful and seems to have a large following.

She no longer has any interest in the entertainment industry, but last P'chum Ben, she did some volunteer / charity work and presented gifts at a big event with monks and etc.

She got a fairly large financial settlement, and yes--she was defending her friend. She told me that she learned "backbone" from me, but she was always very assertive. She lobbed her phone at the asshat trying to drag her friend out of a restaurant. Her friend was sleeping, and I think she was pretty drunk. The Okna didn't care. He just wanted sex, and sex now.

So, you saw the video. When Ken sent it to me, I felt like dying. All I could do was cry and feel rage that it had happened. Ken and I stayed quiet about it, but advised her just a little. Her father (biological father) is a bit of a 'minor" lok thom, with associations to HS, so SD HS stepped up and defended Srey Mum and called for justice.

So far, things have gone okay. I worried, and still worry, that the Okna, who lost his title, will someday try to get back at her. It's a legitimate concern, given that people just don't let things go over there.

No, I didn't write about this in the book.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:18 am So far, things have gone okay. I worried, and still worry, that the Okna, who lost his title, will someday try to get back at her. It's a legitimate concern, given that people just don't let things go over there.
Definitely a legitimate concern, regretfully.

That's cool. She shifted directions career wise and is doing well. Sounds like things turned out OK. :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic