Cambodia is the Cheapest place to retire...

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia is the Cheapest place to retire...

Post by RickyBobby »

Multipox wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:55 am
RickyBobby wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:03 am yeh, and its hard to find coffee places that also sell proper desserts like cake. I like Brown, and a Cappuccino and a nice piece of cheesecake (which is small) is prob at least 20% more than at 'home' Also full of Khmer.
Golden Home on 172 has pretty good desserts.
Although the paucity of Western style desserts in Asia is because just can't get cake thing right. But even at Cadillac on riverside they have to use graham crackers to make their pecan pie crust because they cannot get real pie crust together.
Asians make cake that looks like Western cake but really is only tasteless fluff. And they cannot get Western bread products right.

There is however a very sweet and not uninteresting dessert you can find you can find all over Southeast Asia: you get a choice of ingredient made from rice or other plants, multicolored jelly like things. They poor sweet coconut and another syrup over this.
I am not a Phnom Penh'r, but where I do hang, I don't find it hard to find good bread and pastry. It just takes a while to know where. Last visit to PP however, I was looking for a nice place for dessert, which I assumed accompanied coffee. The places with the word COFFEE boldly emblazoned across their facades had little to nothing in the way of accompanying sweets I desired. The other part of the problem was ambiance, I also wanted a nice comfortable place to relax with good furniture, so some places I just ruled out for that alone.

I think there are lots and lots of bakeries that also serve coffee, perhaps I need to search it in reverse. Search the bakery, and quite naturally perhaps they will also serve up a good coffee.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Asians make cake that looks like Western cake but really is only tasteless fluff. And they cannot get Western bread products right.
I find you can get excellent breads,cakes,pies, in se asia, (at least in Thailand) and a wide selection as well
Some of the better hotels in PP & SR have excellent breads
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

RickyBobby wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:24 am
Multipox wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:55 am
RickyBobby wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:03 am yeh, and its hard to find coffee places that also sell proper desserts like cake. I like Brown, and a Cappuccino and a nice piece of cheesecake (which is small) is prob at least 20% more than at 'home' Also full of Khmer.
Golden Home on 172 has pretty good desserts.
Although the paucity of Western style desserts in Asia is because just can't get cake thing right. But even at Cadillac on riverside they have to use graham crackers to make their pecan pie crust because they cannot get real pie crust together.

There is however a very sweet and not uninteresting dessert you can find you can find all over Southeast Asia: you get a choice of ingredient made from rice or other plants, multicolored jelly like things. They poor sweet coconut and another syrup over this.
I am not a Phnom Penh'r, but where I do hang, I don't find it hard to find good bread and pastry. It just takes a while to know where. Last visit to PP however, I was looking for a nice place for dessert, which I assumed accompanied coffee. The places with the word COFFEE boldly emblazoned across their facades had little to nothing in the way of accompanying sweets I desired. The other part of the problem was ambiance, I also wanted a nice comfortable place to relax with good furniture, so some places I just ruled out for that alone.

I think there are lots and lots of bakeries that also serve coffee, perhaps I need to search it in reverse. Search the bakery, and quite naturally perhaps they will also serve up a good coffee.

(Quote)
but where I do hang, I don't find it hard to find good bread and pastry.

Can you tell me the name of this place as I would like to see their selection of multigrain and wholemeal breads ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

RickyBobby wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:24 am ....
If you go along the east-west streets between the riverside and monivong, you can find some cute little coffee or dessert shops tucked in. There is one called elephant in khmer can't recall the name that specializes in games and has good pastry. Also one one block away south from 172 that has lots of books. never tried their pastry if any. At Pencil Supermarket there is s Dairy Queen -- I'm not too proud to go there. You go south from 172 up to if not beyond the monument and more and more of these pop up.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Multipox wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 am
If you go along the east-west streets between the riverside and monivong, you can find some cute little coffee or dessert shops tucked in. There is one called elephant in khmer can't recall the name that specializes in games and has good pastry. Also one one block away south from 172 that has lots of books. never tried their pastry if any. At Pencil Supermarket there is s Dairy Queen -- I'm not too proud to go there. You go south from 172 up to if not beyond the monument and more and more of these pop up.
Good coffe and cambodia are like oil and water sadly. I have yet to find a decent coffee here and for the record satrbucks and amazon etc are nowhere near as good as they should be for the ridiculous price they charge
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Multipox wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 am
"on the corner" also called 'resto sur le coin" on riverside doe san excellent creme caramel. I habe not been able to find apple pie yet since paddy rice closed :-(
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

There's a link to the original source under the article, so you can look for yourselves.

Cambodia nabs 12th place in best retirement destinations
12 February 2019
Cambodia is an expatriate hotspot for those dreaming of living a more luxurious lifestyle at an affordable cost, according to International Living’s Annual Global Retirement Index 2019.

For the fourth year in a row, Cambodia took the top spot in the Cost of Living category.

The report detailed the best places for foreign retirees to live in 2019 and scored the country full marks of 100 out of 100 for the cost of living.

Vietnam ranked second with 99 points with Thailand third on 94 points. Peru and Bolivia were tied for fourth to complete the top five.

The Annual Global Retirement Index ranks the 25 best retirement havens in the world.

Cambodia ranked 12th overall in the list of best retirement destinations, scoring overall points of 81.2. Thailand was placed ninth on 83.5, with Vietnam 19th on 79.4. Panama in Central America topped the list, scoring 100.

Thirteen categories
These are then sub-divided into 13 categories. The first four are financial – buying and investing and renting, in which Cambodia came fourth out of 25; benefits and discounts; and cost of living, where Cambodia ranked first.

The health categories are healthcare; healthy lifestyle; and climate. Under lifestyle, the magazine scores visa and residence; fitting in, where Cambodia tied with Malaysia in seventh; and entertainment and amenities.

The final three categories take in governance – development; governance; and opportunity.

Ministry of Tourism spokesman Tob Sopheak said on Monday that the number of foreign arrivals in Cambodia increased 10 per cent last year compared to 2017.

“Cambodia should be proud of this. The Kingdom has become a world-class destination [for foreign retirees],” he said.
There are four key factors, he said, that brought retirees to Cambodia – peace and safety; pleasant weather conditions for the elderly; affordable housing and food; and government policy allowing foreigners to buy houses in Cambodia.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/ ... stinations

International Living’s Annual Global Retirement Index 2019.
https://internationalliving.com/the-bes ... to-retire/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Quote.

and government policy allowing foreigners to buy houses in Cambodia.???????
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

LOL
:please:
peace and safety; pleasant weather conditions for the elderly; affordable housing and food; and government policy allowing foreigners to buy houses in Cambodia.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

pczz wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 am ....
Good coffe and cambodia are like oil and water sadly. I have yet to find a decent coffee here and for the record satrbucks and amazon etc are nowhere near as good as they should be for the ridiculous price they charge
Go to Golden Home on st 172 and have their hot coffee with milk. It's vietnam style where it drips from the little metal filter (there is a lot of Vietnam influence in cambo). It's so good, you will not go ANYWHERE ELSE if you can help it. It's not right for every type of coffee drink like ice coffee, but for hot coffee it's the best.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic