HELP! Korean Kookmin Bank stole all our 1.5 Million USD investment- Cambodia corruption at its best.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Lee.Howard
Tourist
United States of America

Re: HELP! Korean Kookmin Bank stole all our 1.5 Million USD investment- Cambodia corruption at its best.

Post by Lee.Howard »

Let it be clear about the case:
1. From 2009-2012, we never heard of Kookmin and did not know that Kookmin Bank existed in Cambodia, we did not approach Kookmin Bank, and we have no business with Kookmin Bank.
2. In our absence from Cambodia, Kookmin Bank and its client obtained a fake notary from the locality Commune Chief (Cambodia’s corrupt governor at Prea Leap District). The notary document was written in Khmer which we do not understand. And the wording is extremely vague upon translation, which claimed in essence that we agree to do the loan. (ABSENTEE NOTARY – Cambodia's best)
3. Using this fake fraudulent notary (obtained by bribery with Commune Chief), Kookmin Bank gave its client the private mortgage using our property as the collateral. (only possible in Cambodia)
4. We only learned of the mortgage on our property a year later and has been in the lawsuit since then.
5. As we guessed it, the Cambodia Court is the worst corrupt body, it helped Kookmin Bank all the way. And there are a lot more stories as to how the judges and the attorneys worked inside the courthouse in the Kingdom, it is mind-boggling, it is beyond your imagination. No one would have never experienced as we had.
6. The Court then issued a warrant for our arrest in 2014, we escaped the country and never went back again under the advice of American Consulate in Phnom Penh.
7. The business was shut down and our 7-stories beautiful building is still standing empty on National Road 6. There is a temple right behind it. Go check it out.
This is what this case is all about.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: HELP! Korean Kookmin Bank stole all our 1.5 Million USD investment- Cambodia corruption at its best.

Post by frank lee bent »

Why dont you get Sciaroni and Associates to help you? Last i heard Bret Sciaroni is a minister in the government.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Meh, so ok you being Chinese was one of the options, still doesn't explain why you wouldn't call yourself Howard M Lee, rather than the wrong way round for the west. Your US passport certainly doesn't call you Lee Howard. So the first point is to establish ownership - you've not provided anything to suggest you owned the property mentioned, where are these documents? Incorporation documents, the stuff you signed with your solicitors at the beginning to do with the lease, that sort of thing. If you're willing to pay you can progress through the Cambodian courts, there's no judge here that isn't open to bribery. Whose thumbprint is on the notorised bill of sale? Whose stamp is on it?
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

The whole notion of this is terrifying and a warning to any other potential investors who would wish to make sizable investments that they cannot afford to lose.

If I understand this correctly, and correct me if I am wrong, you owned this property free and clear. An impostor used phony documents of ownership to get a bank to lend money, in your name, using your property as collateral. Is this correct?

So then, you ended up unwittingly with a mortgage on your property, and were subject to bank demands for payment. As such, you didn't pay, as you were in protest and the bank commenced action upon you for default of the loan?

It progressed from a civil matter to a criminal action which necessitated your having to flee the country to save yourself from imprisonment.

It is incredible this could actually happen, and I wonder how and why the government and law enforcement does not wish to investigate any of this properly for the fraud that it is?

Have you hired legal representation and commenced legal action against any and all suspected perpetrators?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

RickyBobby wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:19 am It is incredible this could actually happen, and I wonder how and why the government and law enforcement does not wish to investigate any of this properly for the fraud that it is?
Welcome to Scambodia. It is not like western countries. There are small scams and big scams. Talk to people. You will hear other similar stories. Do you think law enforcement cares?

Dont bring a large amount of money to Scambodia.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

If I understand this correctly, and correct me if I am wrong, you owned this property free and clear.
I think I read it was soft rather than hard title though? Correct me if I'm wrong. Do soft titles have an increased risk of scam in KOW or not?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

If the property was worth so much, I’m sure the OP would be willing to hire a South Korean bank lawyer to pursue the South Korean bank. Unless it’s part of a chaebol and has deep pockets, I’m sure the bank would want to negotiate to avoid bank regulators and bad press.

Likewise, a previous poster recommended hiring a lawyer who is also a minister in Cambodia to go to bat for you: unless the fraudsters are part of Iron Man’s inner circle, there may be some hope as well.

Spend then $10-$100K on lawyers for the $1.5 million property.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

RickyBobby wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:19 am The whole notion of this is terrifying and a warning to any other potential investors who would wish to make sizable investments that they cannot afford to lose.

If I understand this correctly, and correct me if I am wrong, you owned this property free and clear. An impostor used phony documents of ownership to get a bank to lend money, in your name, using your property as collateral. Is this correct?

So then, you ended up unwittingly with a mortgage on your property, and were subject to bank demands for payment. As such, you didn't pay, as you were in protest and the bank commenced action upon you for default of the loan?

It progressed from a civil matter to a criminal action which necessitated your having to flee the country to save yourself from imprisonment.

It is incredible this could actually happen, and I wonder how and why the government and law enforcement does not wish to investigate any of this properly for the fraud that it is?

Have you hired legal representation and commenced legal action against any and all suspected perpetrators?
According to my lawyer a few years ago technically this should not be possible if he had title title. The bank is required to check for mortgages at local, district and central level and check the documents. You can only have 1 mortgage on a property. Anyone giving a second moirtgage has no right to anything so banks usually take it seriously. While checking they should have seen the original documents. I know it does happen though becasue i was in a expensive lawyers when a foreign investor type gentleman came in and asked him to notarizes some fake byusiness paers for the bank! If someone inside the bank is on the payroll anything can happen
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

pczz wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:02 pm
RickyBobby wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:19 am The whole notion of this is terrifying and a warning to any other potential investors who would wish to make sizable investments that they cannot afford to lose.

According to my lawyer a few years ago technically this should not be possible if he had title title. The bank is required to check for mortgages at local, district and central level and check the documents. You can only have 1 mortgage on a property. Anyone giving a second moirtgage has no right to anything so banks usually take it seriously. While checking they should have seen the original documents. I know it does happen though becasue i was in a expensive lawyers when a foreign investor type gentleman came in and asked him to notarizes some fake byusiness paers for the bank! If someone inside the bank is on the payroll anything can happen
Kookmin bank Cambodia was only founded in 2009 from a purchased bank. So the period 2009 to 2012 would have been under strict audit from the parent group, there is no way a $30,000 fraud squeezed through.
Lee.Howard
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Lee.Howard »

We have clear title, The title is in my company name, Bank did not check the title and did not check with Cambodia MOC of the company chairman. We were never contacted while the loan was processing against my property.
Using a FAKE notary which was generated in our absence, Kookmin Bank issued the loan proceed to an individual, Bank's client and into this individual's personal bank account at Kookmin Bank.
Basically Kookmin Bank help launder the money from a corporation to an individual.
Kookmin Bank was new at that time, there was no lending policy, there was no oversight committee, the manager has lots of power.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic