Moving to Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Moving to Cambodia

Post by pczz »

Bike hass to be deregistered in Thailand, then you have to pay thai export tax, then you have to pay cambodian import tax. Not worth it. Buy one here.
Furniture will be taxed also. Depends how much you got. if its a lot you might be ab;e to pay an importer to bring it "with no tax" but you will have to pay his fees and it takes a fortnight as you have to wait for his uncle to be on duty at the customs post.
Dont expect accomodation to be up to thai standard. there is no becah to go to anymore, just chinatown. try it first, you really might not like it
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Colleen wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:22 pm Well it is all new from Ikea ... like it
How about the motorcycle...
Ikea is KD(knock down) and cheap enough that once assembled it doesn't travel well and damages easily. It is also not really made to be taken apart which means if you did that; the second time you put it together, it might not be as tight. If I were you, I would just sell it, I doubt you would be further ahead for your troubles of the costs of moving it, than to get some new stuff.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

RickyBobby wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:58 pm
Colleen wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:22 pm Well it is all new from Ikea ... like it
Ikea is KD(knock down) and cheap enough that once assembled it doesn't travel well and damages easily. It is also not really made to be taken apart which means if you did that; the second time you put it together, it might not be as tight. If I were you, I would just sell it, I doubt you would be further ahead for your troubles of the costs of moving it, than to get some new stuff.
I am suprised ikea has survived thai wildlife. What little knockdown furniture I seen here has been demolished by Khmer insect in under a year
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

pczz wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 am
I am surprised IKEA has survived Thai wildlife. What little knockdown furniture I seen here has been demolished by Khmer insect in under a year
I don't mind it, the engineering and fasteners are clever. But a lot if it is particle board, and it is designed to be taken home, assembled and set in place, whereby it functions quite sufficiently for the price. Moving it is another matter. If you look how the fasteners are installed, and the substrates, it can easily break at the 'seams' and is almost impossible to repair. That's just my two cents on it.

If you really love some of that 'stuff' better to go fetch it new and all packaged tightly and shipping it would be a breeze in comparison. What is the total value of your IKEA furniture you wish to bring? Also, a lot of the rentals here are already furnished, granted with useless stuff you would never sit on. ha ha. But solid as a brick shit-house.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

pczz wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 am
I am suprised ikea has survived thai wildlife. What little knockdown furniture I seen here has been demolished by Khmer insect in under a year
Definitely right. Ikea is absolute junk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic