Why I think the official procedure to marry a Cambodian is a scam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Why I think the official procedure to marry a Cambodian is a scam

Post by pczz »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:42 pm
johnny lightning wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:22 am Haven't I read previously that it is a hell of a lot easier (and probably cheaper) to just do it in Hong Kong? Or is it not legally recognized here?

Johnny
Last time I went to Hong Kong for a fair I got a seriously discounted airfare of 250 USD (1 person) and paid over 100 USD for a night in a 16 sqm room. I don't think Hong Kong will be cheaper unless you consider it a holiday. Can't comment on the validity of the certificate in the KoW though. Given they're so difficult about providing documents to marry abroad I can imagine there will be problems down that road. But maybe others know it for sure.

Anyone successfully used a wedding certificate with a Cambodian spouse in Cambodia?
For a wedding to be legally vaid here it has to be certieid by MoFA or MOI or both. You will not get the declaration of being single for the girld from the Ministry fora marriage abroad as they are not generalyy recognised. most places in the word will require this document. A few will let your wife sign an affidavit saying she is single but it gets complicated if she has children and is not officially divorced or seperated. the only place i found last year was Aero island in Denmark. But then you got to get her a visa to denmark and when you come bcak you have to somehow persudae the relevant ministry to validate the marriage. As far as i undertsand it they will accept foreign marriages under certain circumstances. For example if you were rescued from Cambodia whe you were 3, grew up in the states, married in th states and came back 10 years later. Not really sure what the point of getting married is in Cambodia. it does not give any useful rights to the man like being able to own land so why...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

if ur married out of Cambodia
why bother getting it notarized for Cambodia.
not like it offers anything over anyone else

HK /Japan you do not need the declaration of being single
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

For the woman, there is a lot of benefit of being married in Cambodia, especially if never before married. Most of the societal pressure is off of her. Basic everyday face saving. Especially if it’s with a foreigner.

If you’re better half is already abroad living with you, then no real difference.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:48 pm For the woman, there is a lot of benefit of being married in Cambodia, especially if never before married. Most of the societal pressure is off of her. Basic everyday face saving. Especially if it’s with a foreigner.

If you’re better half is already abroad living with you, then no real difference.
When I got married, we went to her home town in Kompong Thom to get her parents permission and that of the dead ancestors via an old woman clairvoyant. After that the head dude of the village and the head of the police came to her parents home talked to us and the parents. Then had us fingerprint some papers paid small money to both guys less than $20. Went to the local wedding place and made appointment to be married a week latter. A week latter we showed up they came and decorated the house brought all the baskets of food offerings etc. The wedding had all the costume changes and picture taking that was documented by newkidontheblock at his resent wedding . Later that evening was the big feed, beer drinking, band playing music and dancing. That was it no MOL, MOI or embassy involved. As far as her family and the whole village are concerned we are married and she is an 'honest woman'. In 11 years no one has ever asked to see any kind of papers. I have no interest to return to the states so no problem there either. The whole process was ~$2000
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:23 am Although looked down on by some members as giving in the the corruption scheme, I think the fixer route is the way to go.

Pay the fixer. Provide the documents the fixer requests. Minor errors will be fixed. Other stuff might be waived.

And most of all, true love will be proven to that special someone.
I agree with this. That's how I did it and it was still a pain in the ass. We were walked through the process and our fixers person meet us at each place. Gave her the documents, told her where to go and what to say. Less than a month everything was done.

It cost little over a $1k but money well spent to me.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:42 pm
johnny lightning wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:22 am Haven't I read previously that it is a hell of a lot easier (and probably cheaper) to just do it in Hong Kong? Or is it not legally recognized here?

Johnny
Last time I went to Hong Kong for a fair I got a seriously discounted airfare of 250 USD (1 person) and paid over 100 USD for a night in a 16 sqm room. I don't think Hong Kong will be cheaper unless you consider it a holiday. Can't comment on the validity of the certificate in the KoW though. Given they're so difficult about providing documents to marry abroad I can imagine there will be problems down that road. But maybe others know it for sure.

Anyone successfully used a wedding certificate with a Cambodian spouse in Cambodia?
I do think you are onto something legit. For 'face' it seems the Khmer are satisfied with a cultural engagement ceremony as a type of social approval process to your cohabitation. In fact, I think they are generally most proud of their Barang, especially if you are not flint.

The rest is legal documents for any other purpose, as in immigration to another country or your repatriation with your bride. In that case, I do believe that you can do it easier in many other countries.

There may be some benefits to your being legally married in KOW, but probably also some disadvantages should things go south. Something to consider.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

RickyBobby wrote:
Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:42 pm There may be some benefits to your being legally married in KOW, but probably also some disadvantages should things go south. Something to consider.
Disadvantage, like losing the air conditioned bunker that I hide out in a few times a year maybe? (Not even in my name). Not getting an EB Visa? Losing the love of my life? (Ok, that’s a big disadvantage if things go south.)

Advantage. She isn’t viewed as just another Khmer girl being strung along by a foreigner. She gets to keep face, while the wheels of government churn for the visa papers.

Next task, bring her to the west and address her baby fever.
dnegel22
Tourist
Finland

Post by dnegel22 »

Hello all

First of all, I make 2550$/m and it does not equal I have that amount to spend on bullshit scammers in Cambodia office. I have to pay housing and loan fees in Finland and after that there is like 600$ left for food and other expenses.

I'm currently in middle of this marriage process. Why we do this, is cause my fiancee didn't get shengen visa to Finland after 2 attempts in Thailand were we met and lived for a year. Marriage in Finland was not possible.

What I write in the fallowing could be missing some information, cause my GF does not speak english that good and they do chat khmer with consultant a lot.
Documents
I got fallowing documents stamped in 3 places before I came Cambodia: Single+marriage permission, criminal record, work sertificate with salary amount, last years tax. I got local notary stamp, then MFFA (Ministry For Foreign Affair), then I had to get Brittish embassy stamp as we don't have relations with Cambodia. Cost for all was aprox.200$ to get all 4 papers stamped properly.

GF has birth sertificate, family tree, single status, marriage permission, own ID, parents ID copy. Photo of me and her in same picture.

Process

We are using consultant to arrange this and handle as much as possible. Agreed fee was 1650$ for everything except visit to her Sangkat. We gave her the documents and she told us that she will take them to MFFA to be checked as result she asked as to provide 15 passport pictures for each ( I did not get explenation where the photos are going even tried to ask) and told us that GF's birth sertifate is new and therefore not good, even it's stamped by officials. Also document for single and permission for marry is not good cause the data is on same document, need to have 2 seperate documents according to them. ( I assume after reading first post, there will be problem with documents in any case to collect extra money for corrupt officials). Additional 300$ needed for process (Fits to the price of "Fastlane"). Also there was information given that problem might accour again at MoI, as writing this I don't know what the fee will be.

I'll try to update post after I get new information
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Good luck dnegel22.

The fixer I used was the head guy at the MOFA. He gave us a list of what papers were needed. Followed the list fully. If it says 2 pieces of paper, then 2 pieces of paper. For me, it took a couple of trips to the KOW to assemble everything on that list.

There was an additional fee for the head guy at the Sex Trafficking office.

The fixer even made impossible documents (aka, not originals) accepted. Even didn’t need the lab tests. Even when the application got rejected at one point, he intervened and had the ministry issue the to permission to marry letter to the Sangkat.

Best of wishes!
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

What kind of paperwork and bribes do you need to get rid of the love of your life when she turns out to be a fucking big mistake?
I am so glad I don't qualify for a number of reasons.
The word scam is not even close to describing this process.
Is there a Khmer word for this Barang ass fucking?
I have known women all over the world and there is not one worth this bullshit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic