Cambodia is the Cheapest place to retire...

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Cambodia is the Cheapest place to retire...

Post by logos »

That table looks very accurate, thanks PR
I wish they had included a second tier Cambodian city like siem reap or battambang, like they did with Phuket and Cebu. They would probably be towards the bottom of the list as well.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Ravensnest wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:09 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:00 pm

what venue did you get a big mug for a dollar? a good price if you did
but you probably mean to say, i dont know the rare one (or two) places you can get a big mug on the cheap, the average price in PP now for a small mug of beer is $1.50 after 7pm
By no means was or am I trying to say you do not know anything.
I'm not one that drinks often nor goes out to restuarants or bars often maybe 2 or 3 times per month. But when I do I enjoy one or two beers. We also don't go and eat around riverside. So perhaps why my findings and yours differ...
i wasnt implying you were saying that bro, was actually interested to know where you got a cheap big mug of beer :D

in SHV i used to get the big beer towers at my local Khmer Beer Garden for $5.50 each, buy 2 get 1 free, so 3 Towers for $11, free female table company if you want it (just a 10,000r tip each when leaving) no ladydrink bollocks, its been knocked down now though :'(
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:17 pm

but you probably mean to say, i dont know the rare one (or two) places you can get a big mug on the cheap, the average price in PP now for a small mug of beer is $1.50 after 7pm
I'm not one that drinks often nor goes out to restuarants or bars often maybe 2 or 3 times per month. But when I do I enjoy one or two beers. We also don't go and eat around riverside. So perhaps why my findings and yours differ...
i wasnt implying you were saying that bro, was actually interested to know where you got a cheap big mug of beer :D

in SHV i used to get the big beer towers at my local Khmer Beer Garden for $5.50 each, buy 2 get 1 free, so 3 Towers for $11, free female table company if you want it (just a 10,000r tip each when leaving) no ladydrink bollocks, its been knocked down now though :'(
Damn, idk how one person can drink one of those!

The large draft was .60 cents. PeePawn bromroy or however I would type it. It's name is in Khmai.
Address: street 125 Phnom Penh 12253. 081999959
Still here, in country...
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Ravensnest wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:32 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:17 pm

Damn, idk how one person can drink one of those!

The large draft was .60 cents. PeePawn bromroy or however I would type it. It's name is in Khmai.
Address: street 125 Phnom Penh 12253. 081999959
bit out the way for on a night out tbh, but a good price for a large glass
:thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

bittermelon wrote:Not retired, but something I find expensive in Pp is the absence of pleasant public spaces with shade. Which means paying to be somewhere- a bar, cafe or- the cheapest option- buying a 1000r water or nescafe and sitting outside a minimart. Bangkok by contrast has great parks, can sit under a tree for hours and read a book.
Parks, especially Freedom Park, attracts protestors. The big man has publicly come out and announced that protestors are not welcome. Maybe Khmer social credit system will be next big improvement.

Sad.
The Suk Straggler
BANNED

Post by The Suk Straggler »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:32 am
bittermelon wrote:Not retired, but something I find expensive in Pp is the absence of pleasant public spaces with shade. Which means paying to be somewhere- a bar, cafe or- the cheapest option- buying a 1000r water or nescafe and sitting outside a minimart. Bangkok by contrast has great parks, can sit under a tree for hours and read a book.
Parks, especially Freedom Park, attracts protestors. The big man has publicly come out and announced that protestors are not welcome. Maybe Khmer social credit system will be next big improvement.

Sad.
Is that why I saw yesterday the steps up Independence Monument are barricaded, to stop protestors from going there? Why have steps and then barricade them . . . why can't people go up there?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The Suk Straggler wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:43 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:32 am

Sad.
Is that why I saw yesterday the steps up Independence Monument are barricaded, to stop protestors from going there? Why have steps and then barricade them . . . why can't people go up there?

Maybe it's because the government is concerned about the people's safety.. People do fall down steps and get hurt.
Spoiler:
Can we give the government a karma point
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

bittermelon wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:31 pm Not retired, but something I find expensive in Pp is the absence of pleasant public spaces with shade. Which means paying to be somewhere- a bar, cafe or- the cheapest option- buying a 1000r water or nescafe and sitting outside a minimart. Bangkok by contrast has great parks, can sit under a tree for hours and read a book.
This is a worldwide oversight by city planning departments.
I saw it in Sofia Bulgaria and California
But then it could be deliberate, to force us to pay for shade.
Last edited by Multipox on Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:49 pm
RickyBobby wrote:I like Pizza Company but have learned the hard way. Its always full and popular with the locals. How can so many of them afford to dine there? Its expensive I find for common fare.
Heck, Luigi’s was full of Khmer high school kids and university types. Spoke perfect English with a proper American accent. Flipped back and forth between speaking English and Khmer amongst themselves. Food starts around $10 and goes up. Must have lots of rich mommies and daddies giving them expensive educations and pocket money.
These must the kids of the military officers who are impressing poor people to be slave labor in their hotel construction projects, free torture included.
Making gazillions so their kids can eat at Pizza Company.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

RickyBobby wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:03 am yeh, and its hard to find coffee places that also sell proper desserts like cake. I like Brown, and a Cappuccino and a nice piece of cheesecake (which is small) is prob at least 20% more than at 'home' Also full of Khmer.
Golden Home on 172 has pretty good desserts.
Although the paucity of Western style desserts in Asia is because just can't get cake thing right. But even at Cadillac on riverside they have to use graham crackers to make their pecan pie crust because they cannot get real pie crust together.
Asians make cake that looks like Western cake but really is only tasteless fluff. And they cannot get Western bread products right.

There is however a very sweet and not uninteresting dessert you can find you can find all over Southeast Asia: you get a choice of ingredient made from rice or other plants, multicolored jelly like things. They poor sweet coconut and another syrup over this.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic