Where have you taken your Khmer Partner?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Re: Where have you taken your Khmer Partner?

Post by mouytiet »

I took my ex to Thailand once and we stayed at a guesthouse owned by a old thai lady friend of mine for a few days (only ever friend), the tension between them was evident from the first meeting, everynight she would say I will try another curry soup and she would stand behind Thai friend watching her cook it asking can I have some of that in it, can you not put that in it ect, on the last night she exploded "fckn peasant tell Thai lady how to cook Thai food", missus got pissed on red wine for the first time, threw it up all over the bar and declared "now you clean up properly like a Khmer lady" and went to bed, laughed my tits off, had to get her the fck out of there next day.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:54 am We've been to Thailand, China (72 hours exemption stamp during stop over in Beijing) and the Schengen zone.

Going to Schengen was extremely difficult the first time. We needed to go there to get a Schengen passport for our kid, but they wanted to deny the visa because both the mother and the kid had no Schengen passport but just the Cambodian nationality. Only after I met the head of the consular department at the German embassy and I explained the situation they settled it. Both my 'wife' and my daughter had to go on a single entry tourist visa. Kafka at its' best.
We didnt have that issue. Kids father was irish. all done by post with the irish embassy in hanoi with a little help from the uk embassy acting for the irish.
First time visa, french broke every ruke in the book to deny her. So we went to the nearest real embassy in bangkok, explained what the french had done and they gave us a visa inside 24 hours. Worth remembering if the schengen country you want to go to does not have an embassy in cambodia dn tells you to go to the french or german embassy and that embassy says no you hvae the right to go to the nearest country with an embassy, quite likley bangkok. BTW the french and german embassie shere are required under EU law to give you an appoint ment wihtin 10 days. The french routinely say NON and ask yo to wait weeks or even months. If you are the close relative of an eu citizen (ie a khmner with a french son) and travelling with them or to visit them they are required to give you the visa for free within 3 days. Schengen only don';t expect the uk or the irish to play fair - they do not
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

RickyBobby wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:43 am What countries have you visited with your lady?
How very sexist and homophobic of you. You clearly assume that all users of this forum are heterosexual males.

You may have used the word 'partners' in your title but you've clearly defined your use of the word 'partners' to mean 'lady' in your post.

As it so happens, I've been with my 'partner' to Vietnam and Thailand so far, and we have plans to do Malaysia at some point this year. So far, we've not had an issue and we don't anticipate an issue with Malaysia either.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

pczz wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:01 am
Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:54 am We've been to Thailand, China (72 hours exemption stamp during stop over in Beijing) and the Schengen zone.

Going to Schengen was extremely difficult the first time. We needed to go there to get a Schengen passport for our kid, but they wanted to deny the visa because both the mother and the kid had no Schengen passport but just the Cambodian nationality. Only after I met the head of the consular department at the German embassy and I explained the situation they settled it. Both my 'wife' and my daughter had to go on a single entry tourist visa. Kafka at its' best.
We didnt have that issue. Kids father was irish. all done by post with the irish embassy in hanoi with a little help from the uk embassy acting for the irish.
First time visa, french broke every ruke in the book to deny her. So we went to the nearest real embassy in bangkok, explained what the french had done and they gave us a visa inside 24 hours. Worth remembering if the schengen country you want to go to does not have an embassy in cambodia dn tells you to go to the french or german embassy and that embassy says no you hvae the right to go to the nearest country with an embassy, quite likley bangkok. BTW the french and german embassie shere are required under EU law to give you an appoint ment wihtin 10 days. The french routinely say NON and ask yo to wait weeks or even months. If you are the close relative of an eu citizen (ie a khmner with a french son) and travelling with them or to visit them they are required to give you the visa for free within 3 days. Schengen only don';t expect the uk or the irish to play fair - they do not
We have the specific requirement that if a child is born outside of marriage the father has to acknowledge the child to be his, in order to be recognized as the father. When the father is recognized, the child will get rights by descend. But as long as there's no legal acknowledgement, there are no rights. I could have tried to make that document in Cambodia, and then take it to the embassy in Bangkok to apply for a passport, but the chance of being turned down was too large for me. And because both mother, child and father have to attend when the kid living abroad applies for passport going to Bangkok and 'try' was too expensive in my eyes. So my kid traveled on mothers passport on a (free) tourist visa and went back on a Schengen passport.

Whenever someone else applies for his kid's passport by mail I'm pretty jealous. I had to jump through quite some hoops because Cambodian documents are not trustworthy (needed double legalization, one from MoFA and one more from the embassy in Bangkok the legalization from MoFA was legit) and because the kid was born outside of marriage.
Kids born within marriage have a much easier procedure and will get the rights by the second they're born.

And I know what the rights are for the mother of my kid , but many staff at the embassies in Cambodia are pretty bad c*nts whose lives seem to be to make things as difficult as possible. The German embassy used to be OK (as in: according to the law, albeit a bit slow at times), but there's a new head of consular now, and he seems to be thinking they were way too lax before, so he's making life difficult by making people apply in person, asking for extra documents, etc etc even though we are indeed traveling together to the country of my and our kids nationality. First they wanted my 'wife' to apply in person, then they asked for extra documents (despite initially receiving the application), and then they let us wait for nearly two weeks because they thought they had not received the extra documents. Only after I mailed them about the status of the application (14 working days after the application) they started the process so it seems. Actually I'm considering to file a complaint about it, but that's another story.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

mouytiet wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:19 pm I took my ex to Thailand once and we stayed at a guesthouse owned by a old thai lady friend of mine for a few days (only ever friend), the tension between them was evident from the first meeting, everynight she would say I will try another curry soup and she would stand behind Thai friend watching her cook it asking can I have some of that in it, can you not put that in it ect, on the last night she exploded "fckn peasant tell Thai lady how to cook Thai food", missus got pissed on red wine for the first time, threw it up all over the bar and declared "now you clean up properly like a Khmer lady" and went to bed, laughed my tits off, had to get her the fck out of there next day.
Funny story that. Your ex sounds nice...especially the way Thais view uncooth behaviour.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:43 am
pczz wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:01 am

We have the specific requirement that if a child is born outside of marriage the father has to acknowledge the child to be his, in order to be recognized as the father. When the father is recognized, the child will get rights by descend. But as long as there's no legal acknowledgement, there are no rights. I could have tried to make that document in Cambodia, and then take it to the embassy in Bangkok to apply for a passport, but the chance of being turned down was too large for me. And because both mother, child and father have to attend when the kid living abroad applies for passport going to Bangkok and 'try' was too expensive in my eyes. So my kid traveled on mothers passport on a (free) tourist visa and went back on a Schengen passport.

Whenever someone else applies for his kid's passport by mail I'm pretty jealous. I had to jump through quite some hoops because Cambodian documents are not trustworthy (needed double legalization, one from MoFA and one more from the embassy in Bangkok the legalization from MoFA was legit) and because the kid was born outside of marriage.
Kids born within marriage have a much easier procedure and will get the rights by the second they're born.

And I know what the rights are for the mother of my kid , but many staff at the embassies in Cambodia are pretty bad c*nts whose lives seem to be to make things as difficult as possible. The German embassy used to be OK (as in: according to the law, albeit a bit slow at times), but there's a new head of consular now, and he seems to be thinking they were way too lax before, so he's making life difficult by making people apply in person, asking for extra documents, etc etc even though we are indeed traveling together to the country of my and our kids nationality. First they wanted my 'wife' to apply in person, then they asked for extra documents (despite initially receiving the application), and then they let us wait for nearly two weeks because they thought they had not received the extra documents. Only after I mailed them about the status of the application (14 working days after the application) they started the process so it seems. Actually I'm considering to file a complaint about it, but that's another story.
kammekor, i am not sure what nationality but if any of you are EU citizens then it seems you were not treated correctly. It is a bit complicated and comes from a case settled in the European Court in 2002 called the Chen case.
If the child is a minor and the parent is not an eu citizen, then the parent has the automatic right to a free schengen visa in 3 days to go to any country that is not the childs nationality. For example if mum is Khmer and child is German they are entitled to go to France but not germany. Travel to the childs home country is goiverned by that countries immigration laws and not eu laws. You still have toi show you have enough money for the trip.
This only applies if the mother is the main or only guardian. if there is a second guardian who is an eu citizen and is travelling with the child then they can get into a grey area.
For us, we had the birth certificate with no father, so the mother was the only guardian. We only used the father to get the irish passport and we had a dna test done. they would have accepted his name on the birth certificate but then we would have created a situation where she was no the soleguardian becaus ethe father would alsobe a guardian. Messy and not easy to understand. Fathers presence should not be required to get a passport, It would be illegal for the embassy in Bangkok to require him to be present unless both parents have to be present in the home country. An afidavit should havebeen enough..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic