Is it just me or does there seem to be a significant increase of armed police in PP?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Is it just me or does there seem to be a significant increase of armed police in PP?

Post by xandreu »

I've noticed recently, in the most innocent of places, such as outside shopping malls, men in green uniforms with rifles hung over their shoulders, chatting idly with colleagues.

What's that all about? I don't remember seeing things like that before and I've been here for a couple of years.

I don't understand the police structure in Cambodia. I'm never sure if someone is a 'kind of' policeman (ie, with no real power, just there to make an extra buck or two out of minor traffic offences), an actual policeman, or a member of the military who happens to be performing the duties typically assigned to (what we westerners would think of) a policeman.

When they're armed, it says to me that they're the real deal.

But why am I noticing them more and more as of late?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Is it just me or does there seem to be a significant increase of armed police in PP?

Post by Cinnamoncat »

xandreu wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:47 pm I've noticed recently, in the most innocent of places, such as outside shopping malls, men in green uniforms with rifles hung over their shoulders, chatting idly with colleagues.

What's that all about? I don't remember seeing things like that before and I've been here for a couple of years.

I don't understand the police structure in Cambodia. I'm never sure if someone is a 'kind of' policeman (ie, with no real power, just there to make an extra buck or two out of minor traffic offences), an actual policeman, or a member of the military who happens to be performing the duties typically assigned to (what we westerners would think of) a policeman.

Is this year an election year?
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Is it just me or does there seem to be a significant increase of armed police in PP?

Post by Artisan »

They have always been there, it is just the camouflage that wears off after a while.
pebbles&nightsky
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:56 pm
xandreu wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:47 pm I've noticed recently, in the most innocent of places, such as outside shopping malls, men in green uniforms with rifles hung over their shoulders, chatting idly with colleagues.

Not as far as I'm aware. The elections were last year and were won by the ruling Cambodian People's Party by a landslide.

Which indicates to me something else is going on?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Artisan wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:59 pm They have always been there, it is just the camouflage that wears off after a while.
No they haven't. I've noticed them three or four times in the past week or two whereas I've never noticed them before in the two years I've been here.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

xandreu wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:03 am
Artisan wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:59 pm They have always been there, it is just the camouflage that wears off after a while.
No they haven't. I've noticed them three or four times in the past week or two whereas I've never noticed them before in the two years I've been here.
There have also been a lot more convoys around. Apparently several thousand foreign investors with money are coming in every month to look at wonderful apartments.
To be fair i am nocturmal and I have noticed a ramp up in security patrols. usuall get 2 armed gendarmerie come round at least 2 or times between 11 pm and 4 am. Never notuiced that before either.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

They are hired and paid to guard the post the same way you've always had AK-47 beige uniforms by the jewellery sellers around markets.

They are staff paid to guard and protect.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50527683/h ... -security/
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:56 pm
I guess it is.

Cambodia set to hold local council election in May
By
Xinhua Net -
February 10, 2019

Cambodia is scheduled to hold the third election for 4,114 municipal, provincial and district councilors on May 26, the National Election Committee (NEC) said on Saturday.

The non-universal election will be voted by 11,572 sitting commune chiefs and councilors – typically along party lines – for the municipal, provincial, and district councilors.

In full: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-0 ... 809448.htm

© 2019, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Seen a few road traffic stops in Siam Reap these past few days, not that I've been here long enough to forge a conclusion however when I was here in November I saw just the one officer on pub street, literally in ear shot of the tuktuk driver trying to shot me white lol...
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

It's just you, there has been no noticeable increase in armed Police or Military presence in PP...when there is you will definitely notice it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic