Military Officer Shoots His 16yo Wife and Then Himself

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Military Officer Shoots His 16yo Wife and Then Himself

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:03 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:42 pm Village life is brutal, and those girls getting married at 16 will have their first divorce at 20 after four years of domestic violence. It's not like 99% of the kids getting married at 16 will live a happy life together.
It is also not like 99% of girls getting married at 16 will experience domestic violence and get divorced.
Just wondering explorer.... This event, the 33 year old soldier shooting his 16 year old wife and then taking his own life. Do you think it's just a one-off crazy idiot, or do you think the problem is larger than the crazy individual, and the way Khmer society is organized played a role as well?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:01 pm
Felgerkarb wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:39 pm It matters to me based purely on principle. Basic facts are important to any story. The local press can't seem to get details correct on any sensational story. Other factors that matter in this story besides the murder are the circumstances that led up to the point of murder...those can be investigated and possibly avoided in future if the details are known are reported correctly.
Out of respect for the victim, it matters a lot, too.

Two people who arguable were not quite mature enough for the situations they were in are now dead.
One, a young girl. The other, an ‘officer’ in the military. Clearly, that’s tragic, with a lot of opportunities missed to avoid it happening.
Out of respect for the victim, I disagree with you (Freightdog, not Felgerkarb). You talk about facts, then you suggest that this could be a tragic two young lovers' thing. However, this is not about Romeo and Juliet. The guy was a military officer in his 30's who had a gun and he's supposed to be "mature". No matter what the situation, he shot a 16 year old girl. This is the sound info we have.

@ Felgerkarb I am a great fan of facts, but the media in Cambodia is like Alice in Wonderland. One source says this, the other says the opposite. I respect your quest for the truth in detail, but IMO having confidence in the basic essential reported facts would be a good start.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:47 pm
Freightdog wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:01 pm
Felgerkarb wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:39 pm It matters to me based purely on principle. Basic facts are important to any story. The local press can't seem to get details correct on any sensational story. Other factors that matter in this story besides the murder are the circumstances that led up to the point of murder...those can be investigated and possibly avoided in future if the details are known are reported correctly.
Out of respect for the victim, it matters a lot, too.

Two people who arguable were not quite mature enough for the situations they were in are now dead.
One, a young girl. The other, an ‘officer’ in the military. Clearly, that’s tragic, with a lot of opportunities missed to avoid it happening.
Out of respect for the victim, I disagree with you (Freightdog, not Felgerkarb). You talk about facts (Not quite. I only have exactly the same info as is reported in the articles, which have several contradictions or questions about their accuracy and the accuracy of reporting), then you suggest that this could be a tragic two young lovers' thing. However, this is not about Romeo and Juliet. The guy was a military officer in his 30's who had a gun and he's supposed to be "mature" (supposed is one thing. actually being mature quite another, and that really is debatable from my point of view.). No matter what the situation, he shot a 16 year old girl. This is the sound info we have (not disputed(?)).

@ Felgerkarb I am a great fan of facts, but the media in Cambodia is like Alice in Wonderland. One source says this, the other says the opposite. I respect your quest for the truth in detail, but IMO having confidence in the basic essential reported facts would be a good start.
I'm thinking more emotionally mature, rather than simply by age. A 30plus year old army officer, with a gun, uses that to settle a marital dispute with a person half his age.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:34 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:42 pm Village life is brutal, and those girls getting married at 16 will have their first divorce at 20 after four years of domestic violence. It's not like 99% of the kids getting married at 16 will live a happy life together.
It is also not like 99% of girls getting married at 16 will experience domestic violence and get divorced.
Just wondering explorer.... This event, the 33 year old soldier shooting his 16 year old wife and then taking his own life. Do you think it's just a one-off crazy idiot, or do you think the problem is larger than the crazy individual, and the way Khmer society is organized played a role as well?
I think the proportion of girls getting married at 16 who experience domestic violence, would be very similar to the proportion of girls getting married at any other age who experience domestic violence.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Or the wife could ask for a divorce, the man refuses, then she chops him up.

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:24 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:34 pm
I think the proportion of girls getting married at 16 who experience domestic violence, would be very similar to the proportion of girls getting married at any other age who experience domestic violence.
That's interesting, but no answer to the question
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:46 am Or the wife could ask for a divorce, the man refuses, then she chops him up.

Lovely girl, isn't she. Be careful with yours. Deep inside they're all the chopping kind, better not unleash the beast inside. :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic