Military Officer Shoots His 16yo Wife and Then Himself

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 2695
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 974
Cambodia

Re: Military Officer Shoots His 16yo Wife and Then Himself

Post by Kammekor » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:34 pm

explorer wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:03 pm
Kammekor wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:42 pm
Village life is brutal, and those girls getting married at 16 will have their first divorce at 20 after four years of domestic violence. It's not like 99% of the kids getting married at 16 will live a happy life together.
It is also not like 99% of girls getting married at 16 will experience domestic violence and get divorced.
Just wondering explorer.... This event, the 33 year old soldier shooting his 16 year old wife and then taking his own life. Do you think it's just a one-off crazy idiot, or do you think the problem is larger than the crazy individual, and the way Khmer society is organized played a role as well?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 10695
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Reputation: 2149
Tokelau

Re: Military Officer Shoots His 16yo Wife and Then Himself

Post by Anchor Moy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:47 pm

Freightdog wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:01 pm
Felgerkarb wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:39 pm
It matters to me based purely on principle. Basic facts are important to any story. The local press can't seem to get details correct on any sensational story. Other factors that matter in this story besides the murder are the circumstances that led up to the point of murder...those can be investigated and possibly avoided in future if the details are known are reported correctly.
Out of respect for the victim, it matters a lot, too.

Two people who arguable were not quite mature enough for the situations they were in are now dead.
One, a young girl. The other, an ‘officer’ in the military. Clearly, that’s tragic, with a lot of opportunities missed to avoid it happening.
Out of respect for the victim, I disagree with you (Freightdog, not Felgerkarb). You talk about facts, then you suggest that this could be a tragic two young lovers' thing. However, this is not about Romeo and Juliet. The guy was a military officer in his 30's who had a gun and he's supposed to be "mature". No matter what the situation, he shot a 16 year old girl. This is the sound info we have.

@ Felgerkarb I am a great fan of facts, but the media in Cambodia is like Alice in Wonderland. One source says this, the other says the opposite. I respect your quest for the truth in detail, but IMO having confidence in the basic essential reported facts would be a good start.
User avatar
Freightdog
Expatriate
Posts: 730
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 8:41 am
Reputation: 430
Ireland

Re: Military Officer Shoots His 16yo Wife and Then Himself

Post by Freightdog » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:22 pm

Anchor Moy wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:47 pm
Freightdog wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:01 pm
Felgerkarb wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:39 pm
It matters to me based purely on principle. Basic facts are important to any story. The local press can't seem to get details correct on any sensational story. Other factors that matter in this story besides the murder are the circumstances that led up to the point of murder...those can be investigated and possibly avoided in future if the details are known are reported correctly.
Out of respect for the victim, it matters a lot, too.

Two people who arguable were not quite mature enough for the situations they were in are now dead.
One, a young girl. The other, an ‘officer’ in the military. Clearly, that’s tragic, with a lot of opportunities missed to avoid it happening.
Out of respect for the victim, I disagree with you (Freightdog, not Felgerkarb). You talk about facts (Not quite. I only have exactly the same info as is reported in the articles, which have several contradictions or questions about their accuracy and the accuracy of reporting), then you suggest that this could be a tragic two young lovers' thing. However, this is not about Romeo and Juliet. The guy was a military officer in his 30's who had a gun and he's supposed to be "mature" (supposed is one thing. actually being mature quite another, and that really is debatable from my point of view.). No matter what the situation, he shot a 16 year old girl. This is the sound info we have (not disputed(?)).

@ Felgerkarb I am a great fan of facts, but the media in Cambodia is like Alice in Wonderland. One source says this, the other says the opposite. I respect your quest for the truth in detail, but IMO having confidence in the basic essential reported facts would be a good start.
I'm thinking more emotionally mature, rather than simply by age. A 30plus year old army officer, with a gun, uses that to settle a marital dispute with a person half his age.
we Remember
So Their sacrifice is never forgotten
explorer
Expatriate
Posts: 2111
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:37 pm
Reputation: 701
Australia

Re: Military Officer Shoots His 16yo Wife and Then Himself

Post by explorer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:24 pm

Kammekor wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:34 pm
explorer wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:03 pm
Kammekor wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:42 pm
Village life is brutal, and those girls getting married at 16 will have their first divorce at 20 after four years of domestic violence. It's not like 99% of the kids getting married at 16 will live a happy life together.
It is also not like 99% of girls getting married at 16 will experience domestic violence and get divorced.
Just wondering explorer.... This event, the 33 year old soldier shooting his 16 year old wife and then taking his own life. Do you think it's just a one-off crazy idiot, or do you think the problem is larger than the crazy individual, and the way Khmer society is organized played a role as well?
I think the proportion of girls getting married at 16 who experience domestic violence, would be very similar to the proportion of girls getting married at any other age who experience domestic violence.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
User avatar
newkidontheblock
Expatriate
Posts: 1967
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 am
Reputation: 614

Re: Military Officer Shoots His 16yo Wife and Then Himself

Post by newkidontheblock » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:46 am

Or the wife could ask for a divorce, the man refuses, then she chops him up.

Image
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 2695
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 974
Cambodia

Re: Military Officer Shoots His 16yo Wife and Then Himself

Post by Kammekor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:48 am

explorer wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:24 pm
Kammekor wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:34 pm
explorer wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:03 pm
Kammekor wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:42 pm
Village life is brutal, and those girls getting married at 16 will have their first divorce at 20 after four years of domestic violence. It's not like 99% of the kids getting married at 16 will live a happy life together.
It is also not like 99% of girls getting married at 16 will experience domestic violence and get divorced.
Just wondering explorer.... This event, the 33 year old soldier shooting his 16 year old wife and then taking his own life. Do you think it's just a one-off crazy idiot, or do you think the problem is larger than the crazy individual, and the way Khmer society is organized played a role as well?
I think the proportion of girls getting married at 16 who experience domestic violence, would be very similar to the proportion of girls getting married at any other age who experience domestic violence.
That's interesting, but no answer to the question
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 2695
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 974
Cambodia

Re: Military Officer Shoots His 16yo Wife and Then Himself

Post by Kammekor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:51 am

newkidontheblock wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:46 am
Or the wife could ask for a divorce, the man refuses, then she chops him up.

Image
Lovely girl, isn't she. Be careful with yours. Deep inside they're all the chopping kind, better not unleash the beast inside. :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post