PPP( Peter Olszewski) chimes in on work permits

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

PPP( Peter Olszewski) chimes in on work permits

Post by taabarang »

Apparently it is being enforced rigorously in SR. "The next fact is that it is now being enforced, quite rigorously in some parts of town and there’s no avoiding the obligation."

Where I take issue with his arguments is here where he writes, "Many expats say that they should not have to pay backdated fees because the government was slack in enforcing the permits." While that is true, it seems to me a stronger argument that the business should pay for failing to inform their staff of their legal obligation. I knew many people who worked in PP and not one of them was aware of this document.

Others(OD for one) on this forum have found reassurance in statements issued by either the French or British embassy. Here is Mr. Olszewski's retort, ' There have been claims online by persons declaring that they were informed by the French Embassy and/or the British Embassy that the government can’t enforce backdating.
Well the news is that the government can and is doing so, and it seems unlikely that the foreign embassies in question are ruling on Cambodian regulation in the manner suggested by onliners."

Hopelessly optimistic, the writer tries to debunk any suspicion of corruption,
" Other people say that the fees are simply a corrupt dodge by authorities who pocket the permit fee money.
That’s also incorrect because the Ministry of Labor, which issues the permits, also issues receipts for the amounts paid." Hmmm Well, in a country where there is neither disclosure or transparency what value is there in this little slip of paper that testifies to the fact that I have been rippe off.

For the full article visit: http://phnompenhpost.com/siem-reap-insi ... ember-2014
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Re: PPP( Peter Olszewski) chimes in on work permits

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

My school (new place, just hired 2 weeks ago) informed me that the police have been in and he is trying to deal with it(the owner who interviewed me). He said he would pay for THIS year's work permit only. He said the police tried asking him for all western teachers passports. He said to fuck off.

Edit- my school's owner is Khmer.
Last edited by Sir_Quality_U_Feel on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Oh.. Sorry. I am located in Phnom Penh.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Willing to bet the attempted collection of passports is where the tea money element comes into play.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Sir Quality,
Does your schooL owner actually keep your passport? And can you identify your school?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

No and no.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic