Son missing in Cambodia. Do you know Vince Weatherall?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
louise.weatherall
Tourist
New Zealand

Son missing in Cambodia. Do you know Vince Weatherall?

Post by louise.weatherall »

Kia Ora

Can anyone help locate our son Vince Weatherall?

We last heard from Vince from the British Embassy in PP on 11th January 2019. We had a conference call between Vince, his Dad and an NZ Embassy official in Bangkok. Vince has overstayed his visa in Cambodia and we sent a large amount of money to his bank account to pay immigration and leave the country. Following transfer of the money on 11th January, Vince called to say he could only draw a maximum of $1000 per day and would spend the week end at the airport to draw the money and pay immigration officials on the Monday morning. We have heard nothing since.

The money was withdrawn, but we have no idea where Vince may be. This is absolutely out of character. Although he had overstayed his visa, there has been nothing to suggest he was in trouble or would not contact. The NZ police were informed a few days later.

Vince entered Cambodia on 8th September 2018. He may have been with his German girlfriend, but we know they split up shortly after they left NZ for Thailand. We don't now why Vince decided to go to Cambodia as he had originally planned a two week stay in Thailand and then move on to Australia.

His NZ friends are worried as he has not used his social media account since 11th January and he had been talking about his excitement of coming home to NZ.
The police have checked his bank account and its empty following the withdrawal of all his funds on 11th/12th January. The NZ police have also said they are "escalating" their enqueries as they have concerns (I've know idea what that means).

Vincent James Weatherall "Vince"
D.O.B. 16th January 1989
6 feet 2 inches tall
Long "dirty" blonde hair
Blue eyes

We only know he was in PP. We have no idea where he was staying or what he was doing with his time. He called home regularly and never missed a call to his grandma every week. If anyone can help with any information we would be very grateful. We just need to know he is safe. If he doesn't want to contact that is OK, but not knowing is terrible.

Nga mihi

Louise Weatherall
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Son missing in Cambodia. Do you know Vince Weatherall?

Post by Cinnamoncat »

I'm sure that some of the people "on the ground" in Phnom Penh will weigh in here.

My guess is that he's gotten caught up in the "wild life" of the country. I won't elaborate. I can certainly tell you're in a lot of pain, and for that I'm very sorry.

Let's see if anyone in here has spotted him. You're the mum---why not post a photo?

Can you contact the German girlfriend and get her input on what may be going on?

Best of luck.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I suggest posting a photo. People see others around, but often dont now there names.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

entered Cambodia on 8th September 2018 (let's assume one month visa)
last heard from Vince from the British Embassy in PP on 11th January 2019 (8th October 2018 visa ends till jan 2019, 120 days overstay X $10 = $1200)
Vince has overstayed his visa in Cambodia and we sent a large amount of money to his bank account
he could only draw a maximum of $1000 per day (which should have been ample for the overstay, if negotiated well)
The police have checked his bank account (police have access to this info?)
and its empty following the withdrawal of all his funds on 11th/12th January ($1000 per day X 2 = $2000)
of course everyone hopes the young guy with a name but no face is ok and maybe partying somewhere
a picture speaks more than a 1000 words, or even a fb profile...
and a reaction to previous posts
pebbles&nightsky
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Overstaying a visa is a criminal offence. Maybe he paid too slow and the problems snowballed. The embassy should have helped facilitate the bribe faster.

Or he couldn't take the money out from an ATM and got jacked by whoever could with his card.

My best guess is he's in a room with high Nigerian population
Khartoum
Expatriate
Sudan

Post by Khartoum »

Doesn't mention if the overstay fees were paid. If not, then either he's done a runner with the 2k (a lot of money???) or he's been relieved of his funds, phone and senses. Either scenario doesn't bode well.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

It's got to be horribly stressful.

So, there you have it. Post a photo.

Let's see if anyone has seen him around.

So you don't feel confused with the reference to "Nigerian" population, it was an allusion to drugs. I hope that those who post replies keep the innuendo to a minimum, and just be direct. She'll be checking back, and shouldn't have to read through a bunch of unclear rhetoric.

Just my two cents.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:stir: is he dressed like a over aged skate border,serious question :please:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:37 pm
So you don't feel confused with the reference to "Nigerian" population, it was an allusion to drugs.
Not a reference to drugs. A reference to Immigration cells.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:54 pm
Cinnamoncat wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:37 pm
So you don't feel confused with the reference to "Nigerian" population, it was an allusion to drugs.
Not a reference to drugs. A reference to Immigration cells.
If he were in immigration lockup they'd be letting him call home to raise money and/or his embassy would probably know by now.

More info would really help. Photo most of all. But also description, age, height, weight, hometown, occupation, interests, photo of German ex-girlfriend, etc. Also, if you sent the money by Western Union try to find out what date and time and place he collected it maybe they have surveillance video but you'd have to act fast it has probably been deleted by now if they had it.
Last edited by Cam Nivag on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic