Retire to Cambodia - honest opinions welcome

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Retire to Cambodia - honest opinions welcome

Post by Clutch Cargo »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:20 am
John Bingham wrote:there's no way I'd ever live in any provincial city or the countryside.
I get sick every time I go to the village. Would not recommend living the countryside until there’s been time to built up immunity to the local germs.
Are there more local germs in the village than the city?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Everytime I go to the city, I get sick and not just sick of the dirt and the bullshit.
The food anywhere can be dodgy.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

John Bingham wrote:there's no way I'd ever live in any provincial city or the countryside.
I get sick every time I go to the village. Would not recommend living the countryside until there’s been time to built up immunity to the local germs. In my case, never.

I can’t believe I’m actually agreeing with JB about staying in the capital. Or Siem Reap city.
I don’t think you can build up immunity to food poisoning or malaria.
Sherman's mate
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Sherman's mate »

davegorman wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:10 pm
I get sick every time I go to the village. Would not recommend living the countryside until there’s been time to built up immunity to the local germs. In my case, never.

I can’t believe I’m actually agreeing with JB about staying in the capital. Or Siem Reap city.
I don’t think you can build up immunity to food poisoning or malaria.
No, only the bullshit.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

There’s no immunity for that for expats.
Roadie
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Roadie »

I love living in a country town and go to PP about once a month to do some supermarket shopping. A couple of days in PP is more than enough for me. I wouldn't live there. Horses for courses. $4000au/mth is a heck of a lot of money to me. I live on less than a quarter of that but I am on my own. I pay $150 a month rent for a big house. Search around the different places to see what appeals to you but the more you want a western lifestyle the cost spirals. You may as well stay in Oz if you want to live like at home. The more you can live like a local the cheaper and easier it gets.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Roadie wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:32 pm I love living in a country town and go to PP about once a month to do some supermarket shopping. A couple of days in PP is more than enough for me. I wouldn't live there. Horses for courses. $4000au/mth is a heck of a lot of money to me. I live on less than a quarter of that but I am on my own. I pay $150 a month rent for a big house. Search around the different places to see what appeals to you but the more you want a western lifestyle the cost spirals. You may as well stay in Oz if you want to live like at home. The more you can live like a local the cheaper and easier it gets.
Same here, lived in London for 10 years before moving here, more years in another big EU city before that. After 4 years here I now still love living in a quiet cambodian seaside town. Still go to PP once a month for 2 days for some shopping or clubbing, but it's just a 2.5 hour drive so not a big problem. I have the same luxuries as I had before at home in Europe, on your budget that's certainly possible, only thing I miss is my food delivery at home for those days you're too sick/hungover or lazy to cook!
just noise, white noise
Funflyer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Funflyer »

This is a very interesting thread! Most likely these questions have been asked before but can anyone give a rough idea about how much medical insurance costs (I'm 67). Also, what do people think would be a minimum $US amount to live on per month in Phnom Penh, with a reasonably comfortable lifestyle but without bar hopping etc?
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

Tombain51 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:53 pm This is a very interesting thread! Most likely these questions have been asked before but can anyone give a rough idea about how much medical insurance costs (I'm 67). Also, what do people think would be a minimum $US amount to live on per month in Phnom Penh, with a reasonably comfortable lifestyle but without bar hopping etc?
Dear Sir, because of your respectable age you might be looking at a very pricy insurance fee ($300 or more on a monthly basis).
The other question is more difficult to tackle. Recommend reading Gossen's Second Law.
The amount mentioned in OP is comfortably enough (give or take a few 100Riels)
pebbles&nightsky
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i checked for medical , bronze plain apx $220 deductible age over 66
$5,000/year

https://www.william-russell.com/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic