Short Story

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Short Story

Post by Spigzy »

I think you got the attraction of the cashier there khmerhamster you stud you, that's definitely a bit of playful interaction. Just observing Khmers buying or ordering something they obviously must pay for, you can freely hear them use "som".
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

I’ve just chatted this ‘Som’ thing through with my staff.

There are two (similar) words សូម and សុំ which I hadn’t realised. សុំ is used when you are asking for something for free but សូម is the polite word when requesting something.

They are pronounced differently though I would probably write both of them as ‘Som’ though in Latin script. The former is a bit of a longer sound.

My staff have told me that they smile when I order food and say (for example) Som bai cha muoy jaan - the waitress will understand but it is clumsy and unusual use of the word. It’s more correct to say ‘Yoak bai cha muoy jaan’ or if I really want to say please then ‘Som jouey yoak bai cha muoy jaan’

So, there you go chaps...

khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Spigzy wrote:I think you got the attraction of the cashier there khmerhamster you stud you, that's definitely a bit of playful interaction.
True dat
*blush*
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Short Story

Post by khmerhamster »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: សុំទោស Som Toah - can mean a number of things like "Sorry" or "Excuse me/Pardon me..."
សុំ Som(1) - means to ask/beg for something
ទោស Toah - means "Fault" "Error" "Guilt" "Blame" etc
so basically Som Toas is you Asking/Begging for forgiveness

សូម Som(2) - whilst generally it can be used interchangeably with the សុំ Som(1) above, សូម Som(2) is the word that by its self means "Please" and is used at the start of a sentence as a pre sentence Particle,
for example if you was to order a beer at the bar you would say "Som(2) Beer Mouy Orkun"
verbally they are exactly the same, but when written down (in Khmer or translating) they are slightly different

So basically the answer to your question is "Som Toe" doesnt really mean please, it means more like i'm sorry/excuse me, "Som(2)" by its self means please when used as a pre sentence particle, but when paired with a word it means the same as Som(1) and can be used interchangeably

:hattip:
My confusion was because I understood similar to Jamie (in bold above) but this isn’t actually correct.
They are two different words, have slightly different meanings and are pronounced slightly differently. Not surprising that many foreigners get it wrong and have no idea we are doing so.

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

khmerhamster wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:24 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: សុំទោស Som Toah - can mean a number of things like "Sorry" or "Excuse me/Pardon me..."
សុំ Som(1) - means to ask/beg for something
ទោស Toah - means "Fault" "Error" "Guilt" "Blame" etc
so basically Som Toas is you Asking/Begging for forgiveness

សូម Som(2) - whilst generally it can be used interchangeably with the សុំ Som(1) above, សូម Som(2) is the word that by its self means "Please" and is used at the start of a sentence as a pre sentence Particle,
for example if you was to order a beer at the bar you would say "Som(2) Beer Mouy Orkun"
verbally they are exactly the same, but when written down (in Khmer or translating) they are slightly different

So basically the answer to your question is "Som Toe" doesnt really mean please, it means more like i'm sorry/excuse me, "Som(2)" by its self means please when used as a pre sentence particle, but when paired with a word it means the same as Som(1) and can be used interchangeably

:hattip:
My confusion was because I understood similar to Jamie (in bold above) but this isn’t actually correct.
They are two different words, have slightly different meanings and are pronounced slightly differently. Not surprising that many foreigners get it wrong and have no idea we are doing so.
they are 2 different words, but can be used interchangeably...
សុំ som
1a v to ask (for), beg, request, demand.
1b initverb to ask to (do something) (may be used in a polite way by older people to younger ones. It is often used interchangeably with សូម which however more accurately occurs in sentence initial position)

s សូម soom
1 p to ask (for something), to beg.
2 pt a polite term used to introduce a sentence. It means 'please,' would you...,' 'would you please.'
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Interesting that it says ‘can be used more accurately’.
I wonder if popular usage isn’t in line with dictionary definition.

I’ve done a quick poll and there was a bit of discussion in the office. They came up with a list of situations where you would use one and not the other and if you used the wrong one it would ‘sound strange bong’.
I couldn’t really see a clear pattern for usage - it looks like you just need to remember which one is more appropriate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic