Social Credit - it’s evil and scary

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Social Credit - it’s evil and scary

Post by Clutch Cargo »

davegorman wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:51 am
clutchcargo wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:36 am
“To recap: China’s system was implemented due to people complaining about the presence of certain allegedly ill-mannered Chinese tourists and the system’s expansion actually eases one’s financial burden of proof before engaging in certain translations or professional behaviours...
It must be stressed that while the invention of the so-called social credit system is an internal Chinese matter and nothing beyond, it is true that it was statements from the outside world complaining about a certain type of Chinese tourist which inspired the system’s creation.
Nope, I don't buy it.. bs

Despite the author of the article having an English sounding name, the way English is used in this article, the style and in parts cumbersome, suggests to me the author is not of original English speaking background but Chinese. Not only that but def one sided.
“one sided.”
:ROFL:

“English speaking background but Chines”
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1032270402
http://www.atimes.com/author/adam-garrie/
:ROFL:
Adam Garrie according to his FB is Director at Eurasia Future (www.eurasiafuture.com)

If you go to that site there is no contact address information or other information as to who is the business owner/company although in the 'Privacy policy' I found this:

Contact information
Owner and Data Controller
Eurasia Future

Apt. 24376,
Chynoweth House,
Trevissome Park,
Truro,
TR4 8UN

Owner contact email: [email protected]

That's an address in England I think.

However, when I googled 'who is the owner of Eurasia Future, I got this:

It's a website that defended China a lot
Taken from Adam Garrie's (the main writer for Eurasia future) facebook post on the matter "For Your Information: Eurasia Future has come under a vicious and highly sophisticated cyber attack either from a foreign regime or from terrorists who support a foreign regime. The technical problem is being resolved. I won't name the regime responsible but I'll tell you one thing....it wasn't RUSSIA and it wasn't CHINA."
Now turning to the Asia Times for which Garrie often writes, I found no no contact address information or other information as to who is the business owner/company. In the 'Terms of use' however I found this: 'These Terms shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of Hong Kong, without regard to its conflict of law provisions.'

Googling Asia times, Wikipedia has : 'Asia Times is a Hong Kong-based English-language news website covering politics, economics, business and culture from an Asian perspective.' 'The new publishing company is Asia Times Holdings Limited,[4] incorporated and duly registered in Hong Kong'

Then here about bias https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/asia-times/
Although freedom of the press is guaranteed in Hong Kong, Reporters Without Borders placed Hong Kong 73/180 on their World Press Freedom Index. They state that “the media are finding it more and more difficult to cover sensitive stories about the Hong Kong government and Mainland China, and the need to protect their editorial positions from Beijing’s influence is increasingly noticeable.”
However, opinion pieces have a strong anti-American sentiment
So, it pretty clear where Garrie's affiliations lie imo.

In any event, anyone who believes the line that China started the Social Credit system to stop uncooth Chinese travelling overseas because the outside world complain, are in my opinion, deluded or naive.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Delusional Dave (copyright JL 2019) sounds like one of these Sihanoukville China apologists that welcomes the destruction of the place. Always seems to come up with : other countries, (usually the US) are doing virtually the same thing (NOT) so what are you complaining about. Anyone who does not see this as scary needs to give their head a shake.

Johnny
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

The shit the Chinese are doing to the Uyghurs, using this tech amongst other things, should be giving people the willies. Like the tissue matching thing, they can get you replacement organs in three weeks.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

cptrelentless wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:48 pm The shit the Chinese are doing to the Uyghurs, using this tech amongst other things, should be giving people the willies. Like the tissue matching thing, they can get you replacement organs in three weeks.
I bet the Palestinians would gladly swap places with them . Better to have cameras pointed at you rather than guns and rockets.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
DrRawBlueGreen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DrRawBlueGreen »

No powerful government better than the other. East or west, south or north. same same but different. “Control the masses and stay in charge at any costs” Democracy is a lie. Laws are for the powerless.
True leaders always die young, Che, King, JFK, Gaddafi and so on. Manipulative and ruthless “leaders” control the world, as usual. Indeed scary but I almost get used to it. Luckily we’re all creatures of habit.
“If the world was a girl, I’d stick my d..k in the ground. F..k the World.”

“Borders do not make us safe rather they keep us as slaves”
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Updated: Monday, 25 Feb, 2019 4:04pm
Blowing Water
by Luisa Tam
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. What price will society pay for China’s social credit system?
Labels are damaging and undermine our push for a more diverse world. We must avoid them at all costs.

We label people more often than we realise in casual conversation, and very often it is done with no ill intent.

Some of these comments appear to be quite innocuous, such as describing someone based on their physical appearance. But do not overlook or underestimate the negative lasting effects of this off-the-cuff habit sometimes.

Making stereotypical comments about people could impede the advancement of society as it encourages biased attitudes, which in turn endanger diversity, equality, and fairness. It gradually eats away at human rights and social justice.

Opinion piece on China's social credit system from the South China Morning Post: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/soc ... ociety-pay
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
MrSam
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MrSam »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:51 am So your social credit score goes down if you buy alcohol from the supermarket...indicating a dependency.

So what happens when you buy cigarettes? :facepalm:
Spoiler:
Obviously goes up coz most smoke
Well that’s us, the Scottish well and truly fucked. They tried to add heavy tax.. didn’t work.. so this will be the next step :beer: :Yahoo!:
“My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.”
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

davegorman wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:15 am https://eurasiafuture.com/2018/11/26/un ... it-system/

“To recap: China’s system was implemented due to people complaining about the presence of certain allegedly ill-mannered Chinese tourists and the system’s expansion actually eases one’s financial burden of proof before engaging in certain translations or professional behaviours...

Yet in spite of this, the reaction from many US commentators has been one of total hysteria...

And yet there is no doubt that China’s system would be totally unconstitutional in the United States (unless it were voluntary). However, it is equally true that the activities of the NSA in the United States are also totally unconstitutional in the American context, but this has not stopped them from violating the legal rights of American citizens on an hourly basis.“
Not to mention the rights of Okinawa citizens who had a referndum to stop a military base being moved which the yanks are ignoring, surprise durprise. TBF its not just the americans. All the democratic ountries are now trampling on their own citizens and anybody elses. 1984 is here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic