Living in deepest darkest rural Cambodia

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Living in deepest darkest rural Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:53 pm Siem Reap full of white knights rescuing dogs and cats that should be euthanized.
I once made a similar pragmatic suggestion and a former mod here almost had a seizure.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

You say: Living in deepest darkest rural Cambodia

There is nothing dark about it. The people are very nice.

When I stayed in a tribal village in Mondulkiri, I had a really good time. I stayed in a house with local people. They showed me around. They also cooked meals for me. I gave them some money. In the tribal village, very few people speak English, but I did meet one. Many people dont even speak Khmer. I had met a girl in another town, who took me to stay with her relatives in the tribal village.

If you do go to a place where there are no decent restaurants, it is ideal to find friends to go to the market and cook for you. I have had people cook for me in a number of places. Cambodian people are very helpful. If you give them enough money to pay for your food and theirs, it helps them out.

As I mentioned before, I suggest people doing this for the first time, start with a town where they have guest houses and restaurants. As you learn the language, you can venture further.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

The OP has to think what he wants. And what he needs. Apparently the OP is looking for a more or less remote place to get some work done. Maybe the OP doesn't mean remote, but just means quiet. 'Deepest and darkest rural Cambodia' is not very specific.

For me living with a family would not be productive. If I wanted heaps of work done in a certain amount of time I would rent a decent house in some small town connected to grid, hire a cleaner / shopper / cook to take care of the shopping, the cleaning and the three mails a day, and start working. I'd also buy a heavy safe, attach it to some concrete in the house, and use it to store my valuables like laptop, bank cards, cash and stuff. I would consider taking a dog, although raising one takes months and I am not sure the OP has that amount of time. A fenced garden coupled to one or two dogs increase the safety quite a lot though. And dogs are loyal as fuck.

I would look for a house with a nice working space. Shaded, but open. Preferably on the top floor, at the edge of town, so there are some views to admire. There must be literately thousands of places like this scattered around Cambodia, but you'd have to do some field work to find them.
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

Sounds like OP should rent in Areyksat and take the ferry back to PP whenever the need takes him.

If a little more adventurous, the outskirts of kampot.

Next step, banlung or sen monorom.

Then somewhere like Chhlong, a shortish ride from Kratie Town.

Finally, O Saom if you really do want remote peace and quiet with a beautiful view.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

I could recommend Svay Rieng Town. The money it makes from being so close to Vietnam means it is actually well looked after, nice wide sidewalks (that cars don't park on), little to no exapts living there. A nice quiet place, couple of convenience stores and coffee shops but still feels like 15 years back. I often thought it would be a good place to escape to if you wanted to concentrate on a project. Also easy ride to both PP and Vietnam.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

OP could just lock himself in the toilet, it would be nice and quiet in there and I'm sure no one would disturb you while you did whatever work you needed to do.

Hey. I'm speaking from experience.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"I'm sure no one would disturb you while you did whatever work you needed to do."

I dunno, explorer seems to get around quite a bit in KofW.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
rasputin
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by rasputin »

Duncan wrote:OP could just lock himself in the toilet, it would be nice and quiet in there and I'm sure no one would disturb you while you did whatever work you needed to do.

Hey. I'm speaking from experience.
Squat or Throne?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Takeo is nice and quiet, though not very scenic. The town of Prey Veng is actually nice (considering that the countryside surrounding it is bleak). As mentioned, I also agree with kannekor(?) and (gasp!) explorer that the outskirts of a provincial town would be best. I really like Kompong Chnang myself, though there are a lot of nice things about each of the provincial capitals. I think having your own kitchen would be essential though, as eating I'm restaurants gets old fast.

I've got a house few km from a provincial town, so if you've got some $$ to spend, I can rent it out to you. Great views as you sit on the porch writing your book.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Many of the suggestions here are good.

I'd also suggest that you find a way to write while you're in P P, too. Make time every day, even if it's just an hour or two.

Force yourself to sit down and write something. Don't start big--start small. Write six paragraphs about someone, or something that you notice. Write the story of how you came to be where you are. Write about your family, your favorite pair of shoes, why you think the maid stole your dollar. Whatever, just write.

I've noticed, with myself, that as long as I begin writing, even if it's about the weather, I can go on and write more. You could start by writing a blog, too. It doesn't have to be public.

You don't need a deep, dark place. You just need some discipline.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Locked Previous topicNext topic