Living in deepest darkest rural Cambodia

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Living in deepest darkest rural Cambodia

Post by Anchor Moy »

What I meant to stress is that if you move to somewhere that's really in the middle of nowhere you will spend a lot of your time on survival and logistics, so IMO having a small town as a base would be easier if you want time to write.
Also, I guess it depends on what you consider "deepest darkest rural Cambodia". Are you living in PP now ? Have you lived in the provinces ?

I agree with UT, do it, and see what comes up. You can always move on if it doesn't suit, and it's going to be an experience, no matter what. :mrgreen:
TheWarrior
Expatriate
Romania

Post by TheWarrior »

whiteribbon wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:10 pm
TheWarrior wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:56 pm
Username Taken wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:37 pm Just do it.

Focus on your book, and arm yourself with one of these for social interaction https://booksaboutcambodia.com/book-cat ... ely-planet

You wouldn't be the first to arrive in a place without local language skills.
How about housing? Is there cement houses in rural areas? Or just from wood?
You're joking right? Even in the most remote locations in Cambodia they have discovered and can afford cement now.
Ok Let me clarify my question. How HARD is TO FIND house made of Cement to rent in rural area?? I know they have cement houses in rural areas. My point was is it accessible for rent?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

go up to Banlung...not the smallest town but still remote and i liked it there,
places to eat, on the river, easy to get around, daily market and am sure u could just find a place 2 clicks out of town.

I've lived in a village in Zaire that i couldn't speak a word of the local language, but after a few months could communicate as had to.

How HARD is TO FIND house made of Cement to rent in rural area??
wont know till you go and look :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I suggest a rural town, not a remote village.

If you go to a remote village, you probably wont even find a decent restaurant. You will probably need to find someone to go to the market each day and cook for you. If you do it yourself, it will take a fair amount of time.

In a remote village you will probably go home before dark each evening.

People talk about cement houses. You will probably find brick houses in most areas.

There are probably houses to rent in most areas. If you go there not knowing anyone, it may be difficult for you to find them.

Keep learning Khmer. It gets easier.

Why dont you travel to different places and see which place you like?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Been there, done that, got malaria, cabin fever and improved my oral khmer language skills tenfold in no time.

I was in a village in preah vihear. After a year they connected it to national grid and even metfone broadband became available.

There aren't many quaint quiet places left. Growth rates over past few years have been parabolic.

I like stung treng myself.

Battanbang is full of pedos and twats and Christians. Siam Reap full of white knights rescuing dogs and cats that should be euthanized.

Kampong thom the same, but with added French.

Katie and K. Cham too densely populated and poor.

Rattankiri and mondulkiri are giant plantations and not much left besides whores and dust.

Kampot Province, far, far, away from the town could be cool.

Maybe Pursat or Banteay Meanchey. Nice people. Direct and better food in the west of Cambodia.
GUS
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GUS »

Kep- no one talks to each other there.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms...”

~ Henry David Thoreau

Its a romantic idea for me too. I like it. Most kids in Cambodia are learning English. I bet without much difficulty there would be people eager to help you. Ideally, I would want a few people looking in on me, a cleaner, a cook, someone to fetch things and do rudimentary communications for me when I need accommodation or repairs. My bet is that there would be people watching you and coming to you with offers to help.

My other thought however is security. Of person and also of your valuables. Even if you have a computer or cell phone, it is of high value in some of these places. Some very sad and dark events have happened whereby a few young girls were killed by other kids for the value of their earrings alone, so they could hock them for a $40 phone.

Be careful.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

If you want to live in real rural Cambodia you will be facing all kinds of problems keeping you from writing your 'one or two books'. Such as....
  • Access to more or less reliable electricity.
  • Access to clean water. No problem in the rainy season, but the rainy season lasts from may-november.
  • Food. Many love to sample local food. Living on it for weeks or months is a different thing.
  • Dealing with the local wildlife. While we all agree ants and centipedes and millipedes and scorpions and snakes are useful animals we don't like them in and around our house too much. But they will be in the remote place. Dengue and malaria are also still serious issues there.
  • Transport is a serious issue. Even a relatively short distance can take a while in the most remote areas. Mud tracks turn into slippery death traps in the rainy season and heavily eroded dust bowls in the dry season. In the remote parts of Ratanakiri many people have to wrap old motorcycle chains around their back tire in the rainy season to be able to drive uphill.
  • Language. Everybody is learning English so it seems. Except the poorest. Try and guess where they tend to live.
I agree with Explorer for once, don't look for the deepest and darkest, stick to a small town. Find a small provincial town like Ban Lung (no river there Richard, just a dammed stream that turned into an artificial lake) or Sem Monorom. If that's still too 'urban' for you find a place in of the smaller towns around them. In Ratanakiri that could be Oh Chum, Phnom Swai, Kachanh, and many more choices. But don't forget when you stay there you're a day trip away from Phnom Penh. That's not for everyone. In those towns you will be able to find a more or less decent house for a fair price, you will be connected to the grid and you can use the internet through 3G. If you stay close enough to the center you might even have 4G. There won't be too much bugs bothering you and it's relatively safe because these kind of communities tend to know each other en look after each other a bit. Water is still a problem there though. The well will run dry earlier every year and the water provided by the local authorities is unprocessed water from either an artificial lake used for dumping hospital garbage or a stream behind town. You might want to look for a house with a drilled (deep) well, in that case you will have clean water all year round but not many houses have it.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:53 pm Siem Reap full of white knights rescuing dogs and cats that should be euthanized.
Who should be euthanized?

The white knights or the dogs and cats?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:06 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:53 pm Siem Reap full of white knights rescuing dogs and cats that should be euthanized.
Who should be euthanized?

The white knights or the dogs and cats?
It's probably a 50/50 of both.
Locked Previous topicNext topic