Living in deepest darkest rural Cambodia

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Living in deepest darkest rural Cambodia

Post by xandreu »

I really want to dissapear on my own for a few months and fulfill my lifes ambition of writing a book or two, away from all the distractions. No nagging partners, no job to worry about, just me and a keyboard.

My main problem is that I speak next to no Khmer, despite living here for getting on for three years now. Shameful, I know.

But I I do know that Khmers are very sociable people, especially in rural areas, and it's inevitable that no matter how small the village I live in, I will stand out - being the only barang in the village - and I will attract a lot of attention, which I don't mind so much, but the language barrier will clearly be an issue.

I'm thinking it can only go one of two ways - either it will force me to learn at least some basic Khmer very quickly, and will be a great adventure, or I'll find that life is simply too difficult and I'll end up going back to somewhere more cosmopolitan in the KOW.

Anyone else considered living in the back of beyond in Cambodia? Is anyone else doing it? How difficult would it be? What do I need to be aware of?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Living in deepest darkest rural Cambodia

Post by Anchor Moy »

From what you say, you don't need to be in a jungle hut out bush, as in "deepest darkest rural Cambodia"lol, but you want to be away from your daily distractions. Why not make a temporary move to a small to medium sized town where you know nobody, and your lack of language skills will be a bonus because people will leave you alone (because you are boring). If the village is too small you'll be a curiosity, so find a market town where the locals will accept that you're a bit weird and leave you to it.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Just do it.

Focus on your book, and arm yourself with one of these for social interaction https://booksaboutcambodia.com/book-cat ... ely-planet

You wouldn't be the first to arrive in a place without local language skills.
TheWarrior
Expatriate
Romania

Post by TheWarrior »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:37 pm Just do it.

Focus on your book, and arm yourself with one of these for social interaction https://booksaboutcambodia.com/book-cat ... ely-planet

How about housing? Is there cement houses in rural areas? Or just from wood?
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

xandreu wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:05 pm I really want to dissapear on my own for a few months and fulfill my lifes ambition of writing a book or two, away from all the distractions. No nagging partners, no job to worry about, just me and a keyboard.

My main problem is that I speak next to no Khmer, despite living here for getting on for three years now. Shameful, I know.

But I I do know that Khmers are very sociable people, especially in rural areas, and it's inevitable that no matter how small the village I live in, I will stand out - being the only barang in the village - and I will attract a lot of attention, which I don't mind so much, but the language barrier will clearly be an issue.

I'm thinking it can only go one of two ways - either it will force me to learn at least some basic Khmer very quickly, and will be a great adventure, or I'll find that life is simply too difficult and I'll end up going back to somewhere more cosmopolitan in the KOW.

Anyone else considered living in the back of beyond in Cambodia? Is anyone else doing it? How difficult would it be? What do I need to be aware of?
It's not easy if you don't speak Khmer but you'll get used to it.
Pointing at things that you want or need to get fixed, usually gets things done.
And they will do their best to understand you as long as you're not a cheapskate of course and tip them for helping you.
I live here for 4 years and tried to learn Khmer for as many years but due to a injury from my 20's I forget as quickly as I learn.
If you're not too difficult you can have a perfectly happy life or even happier life in a place where you don't understand a soul.
Last edited by whiteribbon on Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
just noise, white noise
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

You really want to live in the back of beyond?
Can do but be prepared to get basic.
Things like warm beer become apparent.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

And you will find that many kids understand and can communicate in English in a written form, but are shy or have had no practice in speaking it.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

xandreu wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:05 pm away from all the distractions. No nagging partners, no job to worry about, just me and a keyboard.
My main problem is that I speak next to no Khmer
Just being the devil's advocate but why the need to do a Colonel Kurtz to achieve that?

Can find a quiet spot in PP or a bit out even. If you say a few months only.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

TheWarrior wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:56 pm

How about housing? Is there cement houses in rural areas? Or just from wood?
You're joking right? Even in the most remote locations in Cambodia they have discovered and can afford cement now.
just noise, white noise
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Still the OP needs a reality check. Stick to the provincial towns, major towns or developments axis or exchange your keyboard for typewriter. In the 'deepest darkest' it will be of no use unless you bring a generator.
Locked Previous topicNext topic