Khmer visa based on marriage

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Khmer visa based on marriage

Post by newkidontheblock »

Duncan wrote:What's your plans ?
The visa is just to save pages on the passport so it can last longer. Going on a single trip with missus takes up 3 pages. 2 Khmer visas, one foreign stamp.

Plan is to sponsor missus when the government reopens.

Long term Cambodia is not so good to me on multiple levels.

Just came back from the military hospital and Calmette this morning and have been seriously sick from whatever is floating around.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

What's a "Khmer visa"?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

pczz wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:16 am Its really just a variation on an EB because its only for 1 year (unless you are chinese and maybe japanese who can get 2 year visa i think).
In an ideal world if you are married to a khmer and living in Cambodia you should get some sort of permanent spouses visa/residence permit like you would get in most western countries. Just wondering if this allows you to work or whether you still need a work permit as well? Used to be if you are married to a khmer and have kids you can applly for a Khmer passport for a few hundred $ but its lengthy and they don't like to do it
Chinese/Japanese/Sth Koreans can get 1,2,3 year E-type Visas, with restrictions.

No marriage/spousal/family Visa category available....yet.

If you work you are still required to apply for the EB EOS the regular way and obtain a WP.

That quote regarding obtaining a Cambodian pp if married or have kids for a few hundy is bullshit...you need to obtain citizenship first, which is technically free if you have been legally married in Cambodia to a Cambodian Citizen for 3+ years, having kids born to a Cambodian Citizen means jack shit.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:10 pm
pczz wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:16 am Its really just a variation on an EB because its only for 1 year (unless you are chinese and maybe japanese who can get 2 year visa i think).
In an ideal world if you are married to a khmer and living in Cambodia you should get some sort of permanent spouses visa/residence permit like you would get in most western countries. Just wondering if this allows you to work or whether you still need a work permit as well? Used to be if you are married to a khmer and have kids you can applly for a Khmer passport for a few hundred $ but its lengthy and they don't like to do it
Chinese/Japanese/Sth Koreans can get 1,2,3 year E-type Visas, with restrictions.

No marriage/spousal/family Visa category available....yet.

If you work you are still required to apply for the EB EOS the regular way and obtain a WP.

That quote regarding obtaining a Cambodian pp if married or have kids for a few hundy is bullshit...you need to obtain citizenship first, which is technically free if you have been legally married in Cambodia to a Cambodian Citizen for 3+ years, having kids born to a Cambodian Citizen means jack shit.
Possibly out of date now but 2 years ago an acquaintance who had been a permananet resident in cambodia and legally married for 5 years to a khmer and had 3 kids was trying to get his passport bu the paper was just pushed back across the desk at him. he did finaly get high enough up the food chain to get it sorted but he did say that the official fee was $50 and has inceased now to $500 ( presumably for the passport
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yea of course foreigners have been able to procure Cambodian passports in the past for a fee...but not via the legal channels, the only legal channel towards obtaining a Cambodian passport is Citizenship. The crackdown on foreigners with illegal documents is strengthening, mainly towards Viets and Chinese, I certainly would not want to be in possession of any illegal documents.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

I'm sorry for perhaps a dumb Q.

My first thought was 'visa to where' as in getting her a Visa to go somewhere?

Then, a few more sips of my coffee I realized perhaps you are talking about your own Cambodian Visa? If so, is it a special class of vias, and how long does it last? How is it different than any other kind of Visa offering? Are you going to be getting a work visa or a retirement visa or is this just a speshul hubs visa?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Here’s a recap Bobby.

I return to the KOW more than once a year and now I’m taking the missus abroad. Each entry to the KOW eats up a passport page. Going with the missus abroad thus eats up 3 passport pages. 1 foreign country stamp and 2 KOW Visas. I’m running low on passport pages.

I can get an EB Visa with the only qualification being married to a Khmer citizen. It’s good for 1 year and saves lots of pages on single entry Visas. Kim does this service with a 1 business day turnaround. I’m only in town for a week at a time.

Since I have no intention of ever working in the KOW and have limited time, this works out perfectly for me.

Until of course missus is cleared to stay with me forever. The government needs to open on a non-temporary basis for the process to start on that.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:49 am Here’s a recap Bobby.

I return to the KOW more than once a year and now I’m taking the missus abroad. Each entry to the KOW eats up a passport page. Going with the missus abroad thus eats up 3 passport pages. 1 foreign country stamp and 2 KOW Visas. I’m running low on passport pages.

I can get an EB Visa with the only qualification being married to a Khmer citizen. It’s good for 1 year and saves lots of pages on single entry Visas. Kim does this service with a 1 business day turnaround. I’m only in town for a week at a time.

Since I have no intention of ever working in the KOW and have limited time, this works out perfectly for me.

Until of course missus is cleared to stay with me forever. The government needs to open on a non-temporary basis for the process to start on that.
Thanks for that. Where are you planning to travel with your lovely wife? So far, we have been to Thailand, Vietnam (she doesn't care to go there again) and China. The China visa was a bit touch and go. The Canadian Visitors Visa was flatly denied in 6 days. How rude.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
AUDD
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by AUDD »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:49 am Here’s a recap Bobby.

IF you only come for a week at a time why not get a tourist visa online if not working? Then no visa are stuck into your passport.
4 trips into Cambodia equals only 1 page in your passport.

EB + 1 year EOS = $330 for 13 months.

So if you have 9 entries into Cambodia ($324) or less you will still be infront $$$ wise and have 2 less pages used for the EB Visa and EOS.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic