Scotland vs UK - Scotland better off?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
giblet
Expatriate

Re: Scotland vs UK - Scotland better off?

Post by giblet »

UKJ wrote: What I meant by benefits is, why should someone on benefits be allowed to bring in a partner? So they must set a bottom line, ie , employed with a minimum salary, which I'm sure every tax payer would agree. A figure just needs to be set then. £18k is barely above minimum wage. How low do you think it should be set for two people who may have children at any time or already have children? Do you think they could survive on less than that? I wouldn't like to try it.
Would £18k leave about £15k net after tax?
Someone who is making more than the minimum wage wouldn't be able to get benefits. If the minimum wage isn't enough to support the bare minimum required to have a child, then I think the real issue is the minimum wage (and not Brits with foreign spouses). And the reality is you are also including couples that are on a £100,000 per year salary, combined. They only consider the UK spouse, so the foreign spouse's income is not considered.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

giblet wrote:
UKJ wrote: What I meant by benefits is, why should someone on benefits be allowed to bring in a partner? So they must set a bottom line, ie , employed with a minimum salary, which I'm sure every tax payer would agree. A figure just needs to be set then. £18k is barely above minimum wage. How low do you think it should be set for two people who may have children at any time or already have children? Do you think they could survive on less than that? I wouldn't like to try it.
Would £18k leave about £15k net after tax?
Someone who is making more than the minimum wage wouldn't be able to get benefits. If the minimum wage isn't enough to support the bare minimum required to have a child, then I think the real issue is the minimum wage (and not Brits with foreign spouses). And the reality is you are also including couples that are on a £100,000 per year salary, combined. They only consider the UK spouse, so the foreign spouse's income is not considered.
We are getting mixed up here about benefits. Although people on minimum wage do get benefits. ( tax credits) , including euro immigrants.

For minimum wage - add tax credits and housing benefits and council tax reductions. But it's a bit cheeky for non tax paying non Brits to criticize it. imho.
Capitalism and your value in the marketplace. You will get paid what your skills are worth. Unfortunately, mine aren't worth anything. Hence, I went the self employment route. I refuse to whine about it though. Higher wages are there if I want to put in the effort and sacrifices. The thing about minimum wage married couples in the UK is that they both have to work. Although they do get a lot of financial assistance from single guys like me, who pay tax, yet get little in return. If someone is on the minimum wage, then maybe they should accept they can't afford a family, rather than expect taxpayers to pay for their family. Or they could work harder! For the price of a bucket and sponge, they could start washing windows! There really is no excuse for able bodied people not being able to earn enough money.

Here's an article about an immigrant milking the welfare system. Tell me you wouldn't be pissed at paying taxes to support this parasite?
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/488813 ... I-ll-STEAL
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

This thread should be in the "Rest of the World" section, but...I am watching a debate between Alistair Darling and Alex Salmond (two Scottish politicians of some note, I take it) on BBC Scotland. They are going at the debate pretty hard, constantly talking over each other and interrupting each other. The audience is quite riled up as well. I don't know if either one is scoring debate points, because they are covering the same ground over and over again. It's getting rather nasty. I'm hoping Scotland goes independent, just for the curiosity factor. Should be an interesting social experiment.

I understand the vote is September 18th. Should be interesting times.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I'd say it would be a bad social experiment given that it could extend to many other places with similar historical gripes (Quebec/Basque/Catalonia/etc). Might not be so bad for Kurdistan though...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
NedMattiace
Tourist

Post by NedMattiace »

how to make mobile jammer? These cell phone jammers are available at a very reasonable price. You can buy this cell phone jammer very easily. As this service takes nominal charges on the network, so you would need to spend a little amount to get complete peace of mind when you are not willing to get disturbed.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

So place your bets now. The big vote is this week.

I think Scotland will say NO to independence, and by a surprisingly wide margin. The vast majority of so-called "undecideds" will vote NO. People always say they want change, but usually back down when the chance arises, because of the fear factor of uncertainty.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

The next few days are crucial. If no can up their game, they can win. Very close just now though.
I have been hearing that Eastern Euros, just 4 years in Scotland, can vote. As can all the English pensioners that came up for free healthcare, and they will vote yes.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

A relative's carer who is a not long arrived Pole told me she didn't feel it was her right to vote on an issue of such magnitude for Scotland, I thought that was a refreshingly principled stance to take.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

John Oliver's show did a long segment about it last night.
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

Phew. :beer3:
Property doesn't plummet, nor does the pound. Immigration floodgate doesn't open, and I still have the UK "status".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic