Lexus/Moto crash at Independence Monument :(

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Lexus/Moto crash at Independence Monument: 2 Girls Dead

Post by Soi Dog »

^ not sure who you are having a go at there, doctor-d. Where did you read any general Khmer bashing, except at the culprits?
doktor_d
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by doktor_d »

No one in particular. Just let off some steam that quickly built up seeing a lot of posts where people react to something that might not even have happened.

Doesn't take long before people start posting derogatory comments about reporters, cops and what they think of them.

I can see where that is going. It's like every other expat forum..

Maybe it's just me.. but it gets old quick.
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Fucking Khmers have no idea how to drive properly leading to another accident. I am sick of the Khmers driving around in their SUVs hammered putting everyone at risk.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

doktor_d wrote:Just let off some steam that quickly built up ...
Better? :)
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

doktor_d wrote:

Giving a buddy "the edge" on a half told story of something he saw on the way back from a night on the town (or whatever) on the back of a motorbike taxi.. only because he ain't Khmer and you know him doesn't make it fact.
Actually, I would have initially given any of my friends who said they saw it with their own eyes the "edge" over any newspaper that reports on it and wasn't anywhere near the scene of the accident when it happened.

And my friend's race wouldn't have had anything to do with it.

If I had to guess, there probably was blood all over the place and the girls could have looked dead.

There's been at least 2 times I've stopped to look at the aftermath of an accident being a little freaked out "knowing" I was looking at a dead body.

Then, they start moving. That happened once in Thailand and once here.

I also saw an accident in Vietnam where someone left their brain on the road. Ok, they probably were dead.

Also, I don't want to speculate about races or nationalities of the people clambering, but it seems my friend took pictures from quite some distance back in the dark.

Whoever those other people are seemed quite happy to get up as close as possible. I'm guessing they would have a better idea of the state the victims were in.

So I'm guessing you're right after all in this case. They probably die, but my friend who probably didn't feel comfortable taking selfies with the victims never got close enough to check a pulse or anything.

And, I made it clear it was a post from Facebook. The fact that you call it Failbook reminds me that most people take whatever they hear on Facebook with a grain or two of salt.

I will say, many of my Cambodian friends thought they had found that missing a Malaysian flight within a few days because of some link with a picture of a plane floating.

And while I'm not suggesting there was any cover-up here, it is hard to assume the journalists here are doing a good job as a whole when they publish news stories about giant squid washing ashore in Laos, which happens to be landlocked.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
doktor_d
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by doktor_d »

GMJS-CEO wrote:Fucking Khmers have no idea how to drive properly leading to another accident. I am sick of the Khmers driving around in their SUVs hammered putting everyone at risk.
FYI the driver was Chinese in this incident according to the newspapers. But hey, at least this thread show the prejudice of many of the fucking barangs posting on expat forums..
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
doktor_d
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by doktor_d »

StroppyChops wrote:
doktor_d wrote:Just let off some steam that quickly built up ...
Better? :)
A little :)
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

doktor_d wrote:
GMJS-CEO wrote:Fucking Khmers have no idea how to drive properly leading to another accident. I am sick of the Khmers driving around in their SUVs hammered putting everyone at risk.
FYI the driver was Chinese in this incident according to the newspapers.

Wasn't there another incident recently where a Chinese guy hit a garbage collector?

It is not just Khmers but in this country the drivers are extremely reckless. I got smashed and needed to be taken to Bangkok however that was due to a guy fleeing and involved in a moto chase. $70K (insurance paid) and 7 months later I am almost 100%.
doktor_d
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by doktor_d »

General Mackevili wrote: If I had to guess, there probably was blood all over the place and the girls could have looked dead.
If you would have bothered to look at the pictures from the newspaper you would see that there is no sign of the being any blood anywhere. The two motos are lying in pools of gasoline. That may have looked like blood from 10-15 meters away.. but in the picture in the newspaper is quite obvious that it's gasoline.

The drivers of the motorcycles were reported to have been unconscious but alive and were taken to the hospital.

There is a picture of a man in an ambulance. No blood anywhere. Whether or not anyone later dies from their injuries remains to be seen.. Let's hope they make it. But so far no one has died. Unless of course you choose to belive gossip from a social networking site over actual news posted by news reporters working for one of Cambodia biggest newspapers. I already know your response to that btw ;)

Anyway.. I'm not complaining about you for posting about something that happened or what someone saw.. I do that every now and then as well if I witness something that I think not be newsworthy or interesting.. but with people posting about the deaths (which in many of the cases were wrong) all over the place that results in page up and page down of negative and derogatory comments.. Maybe we should treat hearsay and unconfirmed rumors as just that?

At least until it is confirmed?

Just a suggestion of course ;)
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

doktor_d wrote: Anyway.. I'm not complaining about you for posting about something that happened or what someone saw.. I do that every now and then as well if I witness something that I think not be newsworthy or interesting.. but with people posting about the deaths (which in many of the cases were wrong) all over the place that results in page up and page down of negative and derogatory comments.. Maybe we should treat hearsay and unconfirmed rumors as just that?

At least until it is confirmed?

Just a suggestion of course ;)
I disagree with this. Unless there has been repeated posts on this forum regarding deaths which turn out to be inaccurate.

Not allowing discussion until something is confirmed seems overkill to me. Maybe the admins should call a local news station to confirm everything posted?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic