Cambodia general visa questions

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Cambodia general visa questions

Post by talltuktuk »

I’m looking at spending 6-12 months in Cambodia starting in the next few weeks. I’ve been there twice already, each time getting a 30 day Tourist visa. No overstays, no legal issues.

I’ve read both of the articles (AdventurePrime and MoveToCambodia) that seem to be the most detailed on this issue, I’m just trying to find out as many details I can before coming back.

If I’m understanding this right, I just ask for an “e-ordinary” visa at immigration, pay my money, and get it? Can I still get the ordinary visa after having 2 tourist visas in my passport?

Then I use the company letter idea from the Adventure Prime article and a visa agent ($300/year) to complete the process and get the 1 year visa - is this method still working?

I would like to work. Once I find a job, I need to get a work permit?

I will be living in Siem Reap. I have a large skill set and am not really picky about work - I’d just like to make enough to get by, but of course I’m not going to turn down money. Any suggestions on where/how to start a job search?

Any insight on this is appreciated.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Cambodia general visa questions

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Oh ffs!

Yes, get the E-type (Ordinary) Visa on arrival, valid 1 month, $35

If you don't find a job within the first 3 weeks, then take your passport to a visa agent and apply for a 1, 3 or 6 month EG (General) EOS (Extension of Stay). This visa requires no supporting documentation as it is purpose is for those seeking employment or business opportunities.

Once you successfully obtain employment you then need to apply for a 6 or 12 month EB (Business) EOS with an official letter of employment from your employer as supporting documentation.

You will then need to apply for Work Permit ASAP, either via a recommended agent or the recommended way, via the online WP portal.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

That adventure prime write up.is fucking useless, so much incorrect info!
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

It seems that there is much incorrect information floating around, it’s frustrating. I just spoke to someone who has a 12 month multiple entry EG visa that he got through an agency, which I didn’t think was possible. I know the rules change a lot, as does the realm of Cambodian possbilities when tea money is involved.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I would like to see photographic evidence of that 12 mth EG EOS.

Whilst according to Sub-decree 123, 12 mth EG EOS is available, and initially they were issuing them, but then they only started issuing 6 mth EG max.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

\
How old are you ??

If over 55 you can get the EOS for 12 months, I paid 291 USD for the 12 month RE( Retirement) visa extention on an E visa (35 USD), and yes thank you Kiwi back in May for the info, all went well for me.

PS, But you are not allowed to work with this one, well not legally anyway.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

37 so not old enough for the retirement visa.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

talltuktuk wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:53 pm 37 so not old enough for the retirement visa.
Not necessarily. people under 55 have got them but on the basis of living off independent income form shares or so on,
i got stuffed at siem reap in 2014. thye would only issue a tourist visa. just met a canadian who had the same problem earlier this year so landing at PP may be a safer bet
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

pczz wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:32 pm
talltuktuk wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:53 pm 37 so not old enough for the retirement visa.
Not necessarily. people under 55 have got them but on the basis of living off independent income form shares or so on,
i got stuffed at siem reap in 2014. thye would only issue a tourist visa. just met a canadian who had the same problem earlier this year so landing at PP may be a safer bet
The dude has already stated he wants to work, so stop trying to push the ER EOS onto him ffs!
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

I don’t really have the monthly income to qualify for a retirement visa. Plus I want to work legitimately and not do anything to risk expulsion.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic